So I've got two dmgs in kitsch's custom cases with backlight and silicone buttons/dpads. One work perfectly, but the other will not register presses on the dpad when i push it at the very bottom. However, when the two halves of the case are separated, the problem is no longer there. Has anyone got any idea on what could be the issue?

Taichung, Taiwan

Clean pads on pcb, contact pads on buttons, ribbon cable, intall ribbon cable properly, make sure front pcb is screwed in all the way to the front case.

/done

Could that really be the issue? Since it works without problem when the halves ase separated, it feels like ot should be something else

Taichung, Taiwan

Aliens.

Sweeeeeeden

Try this ROM:

http://blog.gg8.se/gameboyprojects/week04/bgblogo.zip

It shows you which buttons are being pressed. Maybe the problem is not that the D-pad doesn't work, but that something else happens, like pressing the D-pad at all, makes all buttons register as pressed, or there is a stuck button.

Did you attach all screws for the LCD board? When closing the case, are you noticing any tension anywhere?

Can you explain what "when i push it at the very bottom" means exactly? Does the D-pad stop registering when you're pushing the case at the bottom? Does the D-pad stop registering when you press it as hard as you can? Is the D-pad dead and doesn't even  register when pressed as hard as you can?

And a general warning, never attach or detach the ribbon cable while the Gameboy is powered on. Doing so may short two of the pins in a way that permanently destroys the left and B buttons.

If i press the lower edge of the down "button" of the dpad it wont register at all, but if i press closer to the center it usually works, though i sometimes have to press harder than usual. All screws are attached and i didnt notice any tension. I will try the rom!

Another question: there is a little green spot at the bottom left corner of the screen, is this because of too much tension on the screen or is it something unrelated? Is the damage permanent in that case?

Cleaning the contacts did the trick, and when i was done the spot on the screen was gone, so it was probaböy just pressure. Thanks!

Might of made the case to tight

United Kingdom
Gamer_freak8520 wrote:

Might of made the case to tight

This.

I'm not sure who it was on here that said this, but you really shouldn't attempt to get the triwing screws back to factory tightness if there has been any addition whatsoever to the gameboy, especially if it's a backlight.

You getting any pressure marks on the screen?

I didnt use much force at all when screwing the case together, though i got small bumps on the front from the screws (on a kitsch case). I did get a small spot in the lower corner which,  like i said, disappeared when i reassembled the case after cleaning the contacts. Is that what you mean by pressure marks?