Halmstad, Sweden

Hi there! Let's just state that I'm no Amiga wiz, actually not a wiz at all when it comes to vintage computers. I own a Amiga 500 machine with no upgraded memory and I want to run AHX tracker on it. Possible?

If so, in combination of me being lazy and actual lack of people selling amiga stuff here in sweden.
I'd like to request someone to create a disk for me, of which I will pay for of course.

Also;
I have no OS disk either... workbench it's called? Or kickstart whatever.
I would appreciate it aswell.

Edit: After reading up a bit I found out that AHX only runs on amiga machines with harddrives, of which the A500 does not have. But according to this: http://hivelytracker.com/forum.php?acti … amp;id=146 it is possible to do.

My email: [email protected]

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jdfirefly (May 16, 2010 9:07 pm)

brighton, uk

If you can get a bootable version of it I can transfer it to floppy for you, along with workbench (will need your rom version) and anything else you want (octamed, protracker, blah blah).
All I require is postage costs covered and you can have the disks for free smile

Halmstad, Sweden
CMDR wrote:

If you can get a bootable version of it I can transfer it to floppy for you, along with workbench (will need your rom version) and anything else you want (octamed, protracker, blah blah).
All I require is postage costs covered and you can have the disks for free smile

I love you.
How do I find out what version my ROM is? Some of my game disks show the amigaDOS before it starts, can I find out there?
Send me a mail at my given adress above! smile

brighton, uk

version number should be on the kickstart screen:

Barcelona, Spain

I own a Amiga 500 machine with no upgraded memory and I want to run AHX tracker on it. Possible?

There is an adf for running ahx tracker on lower amigas like a600 / a500, but i think you will need an amiga with kick2.x/3.x and 2Mb RAM to use it. The tracker interface is slow on a600 and therefore on a500. Best with a1200.

btw, the original replayer can run teorically on any 68000+ amiga...

Can AHX really run on a 500? I thought it was only for 600, 1200, and the desktop models?

Out of interest I spent a little time this morning trying configs out. (on an emulator, my hardware is packed away and it would have taken hours doing this IRL. smile )

I grabbed the archive from http://woolyss.com/chipmusic-chiptrackers.php?s=Amiga and made a floppy of the source files plus the devs & libs folders from my hd.   It definately needs something or other from those folders but I can't tell which though because the .exes are packed and it's not listed in the docs afaik.

The docs say:  "All Amigas with 68020+ and Workbench 2.0/3.0 - NO AGA required! The replayer only requires MC68000+"  so we're not off to a good start.

My results (running the 68000 version in the archive) are:

Amiga 500, Kick 1.3, 512mb chip, 512 slow ram : No.
Amiga 500, Kick 1.3, 1mb chip : No
Amiga 600, 1mb chip : No
Amiga 600, 2mb chip : Yes

I wouldn't take that as confirmation it works on hardware though, the last config could have had something switched on that isn't strictly Amiga 600.  It'd be best if someone spent a whole day testing configs. (not me)  Personally Amiga emulated doesn't really sound different from the real thing anyway, it's only playing non-interpolated samples after all, I'd stick with emulator and just get on with writing tunes.

New York City

AHX doesn't work on the stock Amiga 500.
You need KICKSTART 3.0+ and you can't go wrong with a minimum of 1.5MB of Chip RAM.
It does NOT run on Kickstart 2.04 (A600), even less 1.3, 1.2 etc (A500).

Unless you upgrade that A500 (pointless) you can't run it. Get an A1200.

I used to run AHX on my A600, I had 2MB of RAM but I had to softkick Kickstartn 3.1 into it, which consumed 512KB of that extra RAM. It run on the limit but it ran. That was before I got an A1200 of course.

Last edited by akira^8GB (May 17, 2010 2:32 pm)

Barcelona, Spain

btw, the original replayer can run teorically on any 68000+ amiga...

checked on my a500 kick1.3 and 1Mb ram, not checked without the ram expansion.

Halmstad, Sweden

Thank you for the quick and cooperative response guys.

This means I am now in pursuit of a A1200. Does anyone have a spare  for sale perhaps?
You could take my a500 along with the extra amount of cash that the A1200 is worth, just an idea.

Last edited by Jdfirefly (May 17, 2010 9:34 pm)