Internet

I'm trying to remake this song in an attempt to learn more about LSDJ and melody progression and basslines and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgMHWxN2U_w

Now you can see this has a unique rhythm to it made up of triplets I think? I'm having some issues setting up this base rhythm essentially and could use some help.

Playboy Man-Baby

the Hop command is your friend

Puerto Rico

If the entire song were in 3/2, 3/4, 5/8 or whatever your unconventional time signature is, it'd be as simple as counting the steps and putting in an H command where appropriate. (Step $8 of every *other* phrase; step $C of every phrase; or step $A of every phrase, for the signatures I mentioned above.)

But that song is in 4/4, with a weird bassline, if anything. So, in order to have different channels/phrases in different time signatures and still have them meet at the first beat of the phrase that follows, you'd have to go down to your groove screen, calculate the amount of ticks in your 4/4 phrase, divide that by the amount of beats you WOULD have in your new time signature, like, say 3; and then use the D command in a particular phrase to program in the triplet.

Otherwise, you could make a new groove for the entire phrase where you still have the same amount of ticks, but your notes are spaced out differently so that they end up as a triplet. Just remember to come back to your default groove at the beginning of the next 4/4 phrase for that channel.

There are threads about it that explain it better than I do, and with more detailed examples, but one way or another you have to math.

Good luck big_smile

Last edited by Xuriik (May 15, 2014 3:29 am)

South Korea

Saskrotch has a pretty good triplet tutorial here . It has legit math and stuff.

Gosford, Australia

2 it's 6/8

so yeah, just put a H00 command on row C of every phrase. remember that the downbeats are on rows 0,3,6 and 9 instead of 0,4,8 and C.

also, if you see people talking about grooves in LSDJ like 6/6 or 3/3 or 4/4 remember that these aren't actually time signatures, but relate to how many "ticks" are in each step in a phrase or table. the default groove is 6/6, and the master tempo will ALWAYS relate to a 6/6 groove; so 128bpm in a 5/5 groove is roughly 149BPM, at a 8/8 groove it'd be ~85BPM and at a dumb groove like D/3/5/3 it'd be god knows what. i hope this is helpful and not confusing!!!

Last edited by Victory Road (May 15, 2014 4:24 am)

Internet
Xuriik wrote:

If the entire song were in 3/2, 3/4, 5/8 or whatever your unconventional time signature is, it'd be as simple as counting the steps and putting in an H command where appropriate. (Step $8 of every *other* phrase; step $C of every phrase; or step $A of every phrase, for the signatures I mentioned above.)

But that song is in 4/4, with a weird bassline, if anything. So, in order to have different channels/phrases in different time signatures and still have them meet at the first beat of the phrase that follows, you'd have to go down to your groove screen, calculate the amount of ticks in your 4/4 phrase, divide that by the amount of beats you WOULD have in your new time signature, like, say 3; and then use the D command in a particular phrase to program in the triplet.

Otherwise, you could make a new groove for the entire phrase where you still have the same amount of ticks, but your notes are spaced out differently so that they end up as a triplet. Just remember to come back to your default groove at the beginning of the next 4/4 phrase for that channel.

There are threads about it that explain it better than I do, and with more detailed examples, but one way or another you have to math.

Good luck big_smile

Okay -wow- thank you ahaha I actually stared at my Game Boy at like 5am and figured it out. My brain was just like "oh triplets" but that wasn't it at all. I appreciate the tips and advice though!