Neo Jersey

just wondering cuz it seems like the only shows that happen near me are in ny, and that's a good 2 - 2 1/2 hr drive for me from south jersey, so i cant always get to those . Philly is a lot closer for me so i am wondering if there are other shows that happen in or near Philly. all i know of is 8static, which i unfortunately always seem to miss lol.

Philly

Yeah, it's kind of a problem that Animal Style and I have talked about.  The majority of us only play 8static anymore.  Every once and a while there's a con or expo that all of the Philly scene basically participates in and nobody comes to watch.  Cheap Dinosaurs just played at the Fire last night I think?  I'm working on a project that will hopefully have more mass appeal than my current stuff.  Otherwise, just wait for it to come, wish I could be of more help

Philadelphia, PA

I agree it is a problem. I've talked a little with NO CARRIER about this as well, back in December when I was offered a show at The Khyber (which also featured Ro-Bear and Animal Style and basically turned into me and Don booking and organizing the whole thing). It's easy to fall back on 8static, and none of us would want to interfere with its promotion or steady growth, but I think all of us certainly would love to play more shows, and I think more shows in general would help draw a larger crowd to ALL chip events in the area. There's definitely an interest; that Inquirer article in March made it seem like the Philly chip scene is a lot more than just one show a month, right? Why shouldn't it be?

Seems like some of the people trying to get a variety of shows in NYC, for example, are really working hard to find interesting places and not afraid to play on weeknights, etc. Maybe we haven't come up with enough good ideas for venues and opportunities in Philly. In my opinion, the best chip shows take place at all-ages, laid-back, relatively hands-off and open-minded places, which are unfortunately really difficult to find in, well, all of Pennsylvania, to be honest. Maybe it's like that everywhere, I don't know. But there have to be SOME ideas to consider. Danger Danger Gallery worked pretty well for the 8-bit Alliance Show, I thought. What did anyone else think?

Let's throw out some other ideas! Promoters in other areas, suggestions welcome!

brooklyn!

just to throw my two cents in here:

i think in order to expand the possibility of chip shows in philly, just as it needs to be all places, artists just need to do a lot of playing out with NON-chip acts at other venues. there needs to be strong involvement in the local scene in order to raise awareness of the smaller chip scene. philly has such awesome artists with so much crossover potential that it shouldn't be a problem with them getting on other bills. once people see how dope these artists are, that encourages an interest in the whole scene, and in coming to strictly chip shows.
really, it just comes down to the philly artists themselves wanting to put their names out there, same as it does in new york, or anywhere trying to expand their scene. 8static is still a relatively new event (only been going on for about 17 months, right?), there's still plenty of time for progress. so if you're making tunes in philly and want more people to come to chip shows, then play out! start a discussion! otherwise 8static is just a bunch of flyers! people need to see first hand how seriously awesome it is!

Philly
likeluke wrote:

really, it just comes down to the philly artists themselves wanting to put their names out there

This could not be more true!  Every single show that I have played has been offered to me, which is pretty killer, but doesn't help myself at all.  Personally, I love playing shows, but with school right now it is not a priority for me so I haven't even attempted to book anything by myself.

Neo Jersey

lets make it happen! i'd love to see more shows in/around philly. i'd be interested in playing too, even though im still kind of a nub haha. i dont have as much input as you guys who have more experience playing around here, but im all for seeing the scene and chip music as a whole grow. i want to be able to tell people i play chip music and not have to explain what it is haha.

philly
likeluke wrote:

i think in order to expand the possibility of chip shows in philly, just as it needs to be all places, artists just need to do a lot of playing out with NON-chip acts at other venues.

Nailed it! I don't think Chromelodeon ever did a single chip show, and at the opposite end of the spectrum, Cheap Dinosaurs is now mainly doing chip shows. We've realized this and are going to be stepping our shit up. smile

Finding venues can be tricky. We really ought to be playing at Kung Fu Necktie and Johnny Brenda's and the like...

Last edited by bucky (May 18, 2010 9:20 pm)

Brazil

I know I'm not even from america, BUT here's my 2 cents:

I agree with likeluke, BUT you can always see if there's a place linked with digital culture or something like that cause they would like the idea. Places linked with culture and arts will be more likened to showcase chipmusic. Also, looking for venues inclined to do electronic music is always a good thing.

Neo Jersey

you guys ever hear of r5 productions? maybe someone should talk to them. i hear about pretty much every small to medium size indie show in philly through them. kung fu necktie, johnny brendas, starland ballroom, first uny churh, the barbary and the like are where most of their shows are. i think they are solely promoters, though. You'd probably have to talk to each individual owner of each place. but they would be a good way to get the word out, and may have some good connections. Or who knows maybe they are looking for some opening acts. most places are gonna probably want $$ though. i dunno how you guys feel about that, but i like free shows smile   anyways. just a thought that popped into my head.

Philly/NY

Chip shows at the First Uni Church, plz.

brooklyn!
bucky wrote:
likeluke wrote:

i think in order to expand the possibility of chip shows in philly, just as it needs to be all places, artists just need to do a lot of playing out with NON-chip acts at other venues.

Nailed it! I don't think Chromelodeon ever did a single chip show, and at the opposite end of the spectrum, Cheap Dinosaurs is now mainly doing chip shows. We've realized this and are going to be stepping our shit up. smile

Finding venues can be tricky. We really ought to be playing at Kung Fu Necktie and Johnny Brenda's and the like...

kung fu necktie is a rad place. and yeah, you cheap dinos have such awesome crossover potential/musicianship/songwriting/badass that it would be a really strong entrance point to the chip scene for an uninitiated local. same goes for animal style and mister jon baken. both glad and not at all surprised that you fellas have the right idea. wink

also,

enso wrote:

Chip shows at the First Uni Church, plz.

this. someone book starscream at the first uni church asap.

IL, US

book me in a church to see if i burst into flames/get struck down mid-set

Philadelphia, PA

I totally agree with everything everyone has said. Playing with other artists is the best way to get exposure and break into other venues and scenes. I'm actually playing a mostly jammy/electronica festival in August outside the city (http://www.muddyriverjam.com/) that I was able to break into because I used to play in a band that was jammy/electronica. That oughta be interesting. I'm excited to see the response and hope to use that as an opportunity to get more gigs back in that scene... Maybe bring some of those headie kids to some chip shows...

Also: Chip shows at the Church is actually a kind of genius idea, especially considering it's all ages. I've seen, um, weirder shows there than most of what I see at 8static -- not to mention a few relatively poorly attended shows. I do believe we'd have to break in with R5 though... Time to bust out those connections, fools. I have some ideas of friends/bands that could help out  but someone else might know better.

Keep those ideas coming.

Neo Jersey

yea first uni chip shows would be rad haha. r5 would be a good place to start. here's their contact info (straight from their last email blast) :
S E A N  A G N E W  * R 5  P R O D U C T I O N S
611 Washington Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19147
[email protected] /  215-821-R5R5 (brand new number!)
http://www.r5productions.com for complete info

i have no problem initiating contact, but it'd probably be better if someone with more experience in the scene did. any volunteers?

IL, US

^ you should probably not post that publicly, they may not like that

Philly, PA, USA
e.s.c. wrote:

^ you should probably not post that publicly, they may not like that

pretty sure it's on their site.

also: kung fu necktie=21+=lame.

but first unitarian church would be fuckin awesome. I hear the head of R5 is a cool guy, so if there was a plan i'm sure he'd hear it.

also, something we might wanna look into for just maybe a one time deal, look into a public free show, like open air type deal over the summer. I don't know how that would work at all, but if it's somewhere people would see it just passing by it would be awesome. then like pass out fliers for 8static etc. dunno if it would really work, but it could be cool