Virginia, US

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Chipmusic community but not to the music. I'm sure I'll enjoy my time here.

I am a computer engineer and I have an idea for an "All-In-One" solution to chiptune music production and development and I just wanted to get some input and/or thoughts from the community.

It is to my understanding that chiptune is produced via video game hardware and software (i.e. sequencers, trackers, emulators, etc.) These are all great methods of capturing the classic sounds of the game hardware that we know and love.

I would like to introduce the alternative concept of a singular specialized portable instrument that can produce all of these sounds using a simple user interface like that of a synthesizer.

I thought of this idea because I believe that chiptune has not reached the popularity it believe that it can ultimately achieve. People who are new to the 8-bit / chiptune scene are most likely eager to learn how to produce this kind of music but I feel that they may be intimidated by the quantity and complexity of the equipment necessary to produce over-the-top and awesome chiptune.

I also think that this could be a portable solution to current experience producers who have to move a good deal of equipment around between gigs. Additionally, the device could also help current experienced artists to produce better music as it can be connected with other music effect modules.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

What do you guys think about this project idea?

Los Angeles, CA

LGPT does basically everything at once, if it has to be handheld.

Anybody who ACTUALLY wants to do everything all at once can just use chipsounds, but I know that I personally like chipmusic because of the limitations I'm presented with.

Oh also the nerdsynth is being worked on, so that's an option as well.

Last edited by Mrwimmer (May 15, 2014 5:07 pm)

Florida, USA

I would be all over a product like this if it lived up to expectations. Particularly if it came with on board high quality keys.

Murcia, Spain

Hi!

This is something I have thought about quite a few times. I thought of Raspberry Pi as a good portable solution. If you could manage to make the thing launch directly to a menu where you could select different programs, all fitted in a nice case with proper controls, it would be amazing. MIDI IN-OUT and other connections and you have something brilliant!

Unsubscribe

There has been lots of concepts like this, but perhaps the most interesting right now is:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/13715 … sequencer/

Virginia, US

Nerdsynth does look really cool. The core difference between it and my idea is the core playback style. Nerdsynth has primarily tracker style playback while my idea is based on real-time synthesis (keys, knobs, controls). It would also have a jack out so that you could run it through filters/amps.

Unsubscribe

Thats well treaded territory too:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html
http://twisted-electrons.com/desktop-synths/ay3/
http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3522/ … at-module/

Virginia, US

Hmm. These are interesting. Ah well; back to the whiteboard I guess. There must be something someone hasn't thought of doing in this field.

Last edited by BitCruncher (May 15, 2014 6:07 pm)

Unsubscribe

Or a better mousetrap that the above hasnt tackled. Maybe a more userfriendly take on the midibox system!

almost everything has been done. i have some old yamaha keyboards from the 80s that let me make chip noises with a synthesizer interface

however, do something with character and quality and people will like it

Abandoned on Fire

Hey BitCruncher, I have a fairly simple but wildly useful project that you may want to tackle.  It's a software utility and could be a good way to get your feet wet in the current chip scene.  PM me if you're interested!

buffalo, NY

a laptop with Plogue Chipsounds?  Cause yeah it's got it all covered, and covered well.

Last edited by danimal cannon (May 16, 2014 1:32 am)

Personally I feel that dedicated all-in-one solutions are conceptually in conflict with (at least a subset of) Chiptune as a way of music creation. For me, it is the limitations of using old hardware designed for playing video games (not designed for making Chiptunes) that gives much Chiptune music a great deal of its character.  This applies to me both as a listener and as an LSDJ user. I enjoy it when I can listen to a piece of music and think, "Wow, was that really 1xLSDJ?"  I have also heard here frequently that it is this same limited environment which provides (or augments) many artists' ability to be creative. While I have nothing against new electronic instruments, to me they wouldn't really be Chiptune, in the same way that, say, an analogue synth or a DAW isn't Chiptune.

That being said, I think there is a market within the Chiptune community for new and innovative hardware / software projects that push the limitations of the hardware we use, although such projects have been met with a variety of opinions.  For example the Ninstrument Synthboy has been somewhat controversial, while the Arduinoboy has been generally well-received (notwithstanding the confusion of some new users about the many modes).  I think staying true to the spirit of Chiptune is important, but also being part of the community in addition to wanting to give something to the community.

Dallas, Texas

My fantasy idea would be something very like what you want, though too crazy to build most likely. I would be a synth keyboards that has real chips on board being used as oscillators. Like switchable between modes like SID mode or 2a03 mode or POKEY mode. I could do cool stuff like route the 2a03 through the SID filter and would have on board routable LFOs and envelopes for controlling the chips. Kinda like MSSIAH and MidiNES stuffed into an all in one hardware synth.

Playboy Man-Baby
rvan wrote:

Personally I feel that dedicated all-in-one solutions are conceptually in conflict with (at least a subset of) Chiptune as a way of music creation. For me, it is the limitations of using old hardware designed for playing video games (not designed for making Chiptunes) that gives much Chiptune music a great deal of its character.  This applies to me both as a listener and as an LSDJ user. I enjoy it when I can listen to a piece of music and think, "Wow, was that really 1xLSDJ?"

an analogue synth or a DAW isn't Chiptune.

I think staying true to the spirit of Chiptune is important, but also being part of the community in addition to wanting to give something to the community.

The limitation really is a huge idea-catalyst. But you'll find that it's inevitable that a lot of people turn to DAWs in chipmusic. I feel guilty (chip guilt?) when I try layering DAW stuff on top of 1xlsdj. But it's become kind of universally panned to be a 'purist' about chipmusic at this point because it doesn't really contribute anything, so...

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (May 16, 2014 6:27 am)

Playboy Man-Baby
TylerBarnes wrote:

My fantasy idea would be something very like what you want, though too crazy to build most likely. I would be a synth keyboards that has real chips on board being used as oscillators. Like switchable between modes like SID mode or 2a03 mode or POKEY mode. I could do cool stuff like route the 2a03 through the SID filter and would have on board routable LFOs and envelopes for controlling the chips. Kinda like MSSIAH and MidiNES stuffed into an all in one hardware synth.

Like the keyboard everyone pretended Crystal Castles had.