Philly

Hey!  I like movies!  You can find out about that here.
Lately though, I've been watching alot of documentaries (Style Wars, King of Kong, Helvetica, We Are Traffic).
I was wondering if anybody had good recommendations for any?
I want to see the new Banksy film, but I gotta organize some friends seeing it.
Also, I have Netflix, but there seems to be lots of poop and little substance there.
Any direction would be killer!  Thanks!!

Anaheim, California

Movies I have seen all the way through:
Grass: about marijuana laws and its history in America

New York Doll: it follows around Arthur "killer" Kane in his last days, he is the former bassist of the New York Dolls

Who the Fuck is Jackson Pollock: loved this movei, its about a lady who picks up a possible Jackson Pollock from a thrist stroe and attempts to see if its worth anything, interesting look into the art world

My Kid Could Paint That: about a young girl who paints abstract art and whether or not she is an imposter

the first and thrid decline of western civilizations: both about punk scenes the first focusing on the early LA scene and the third focusing on the hardcore scene in LA, have not seen the second one, but I know its about the 80's metal scene in SoCal

Festival Express and Rock City: both clips from music festivals, the first being on a train with more country and folk musicians from the ^0s and the latter going around and capturing UK artists from the 60s

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey: study of Metal by an anthropologist who is also a metalhead

Woodstock, if you haven't seen it, SEE IT NOW

Movies I have seen part of:
Beautiful Losers, about alternative artists, very interesting from what I have seen

American Hardcore, America's hardcore punk scene, good if your into that type of music

We Jam Econo: about the Minutemen (the band)

rochester, ny

i liked "the n word".

New York, New York

Everyone should watch We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen.

I saw about 9 minutes of the intro of Style Wars. I hope to see the whole thing once I buy a copy.

PDX

Hmmm I watch a lot of documentaries. I've included TV stuff because a lot of the best comes from BBC. You can watch all of this stuff online, one way or another.

Cocaine Cowboys; The Root of All Evil; The Fog of War; The Corporation; The Boy with the Incredible Brain; Status Anxiety (Alain de Botton); The Trap (BBC - Adam Curtis); Jesus Camp (I grew up around the stuff in this film - it scares me); Life Without Memory: The Case of Clive Wearing; Kim Peek: The Real Rain Man; Commanding Heights; The Private Lives of Plants; Sagan's Cosmos; The Century of the Self (BBC - Adam Curtis); The Power of Nightmares (BBC - Adam Curtis); Roman City; Journey of Man; Kenneth Clark’s Civilisation.

Last edited by RushCoil (May 17, 2010 1:14 pm)

Anything by Richard Dawkins I'm a fan of, he's great at explaining things. Something to check out as well are Louis Theroux's documentaries, I find them very entertaining. Food, Inc. also stands out as a good one about the American food industry, and Between The Folds was a very interesting doc on pushing the boundaries of origami.

As far as where to watch documentaries, I agree with RushCoil on watching BBC, and PBS has some surprisingly good documentaries as well; They present a ton of different documentaries on a show called Independent Lens.

Brooklyn NY US

I really liked BBS: The Documentary, about early dial-up bulletin board technology & subcultures.

Crumb, Black Sun, The devil and Daniel Johnston, Beach Boys : An American Band (for the tons of footage) , Lost in La Mancha, Dig!

England

Air Guitar Nation was pretty good. I enjoyed that.

Also The Wicker Man is an excellent documentory on life in Scotland.

Finland

Air Guitar Nation, Cocaine Cowboys and Metal: Headbangers Journey are all very good, even if you dont have any interest in their topic. Same goes to It Might Get Loud which is a documentary about 3 guitarists (Jimmy Page, The Edge, Jack White). It's pretty funny + shows that The Edge is kinda douchey dude, haha.

Liverpool, UK
Jellica wrote:

Also The Wicker Man is an excellent documentory on life in Scotland.

I thought Trainspotting was a more accurate portrayal wink

lolusa
Bit Shifter wrote:

I really liked BBS: The Documentary, about early dial-up bulletin board technology & subcultures.

I liked that one a lot too.

astral cat
calmdownkidder wrote:
Jellica wrote:

life in Scotland.

Trainspotting

actually trainspotting (hobby http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainspott … nspotting) is probably as boring as life in scotland?

Last edited by an-cat-max (May 17, 2010 9:25 am)

CHIPTUNE

'Who is Bozo Texino?'. Great images / sound / story / topic. Trains, escapism and an obscure subculture. Is it allowed to link to torrents here, or, uh...?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

http://www.banksyfilm.com/

Nomad's Land
RushCoil wrote:

... Jesus Camp (I grew up around the stuff in this film - it scares me)

saw that one recently, it's awesome!!! having grown up in an atheist country, i thought it was hilarious, but if you have been involved with these people then i bet it's pretty scary.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (May 17, 2010 2:00 pm)