West Yorks, UK

Yamahas baby VHS sequencer, the QY10 in particular, can anyone speak from experience and tell me whether it has shuffle / swing groove settings?

Searched the sound on sound review, and have just leafed through the manual so helpfully upped on Burnkit2600's site, I may be missing something, but I see absolutely no mention of the subject.

It would really suck if they don't!

UK / FR

Hey, i have one of these... Im pretty sure they dont have any swing/shuffle parameters that you can set, they're super basic in terms of features.

Theres maybe some way of getting swung rhythms by using the presets, but the thing is so complicated to use i have no idea how i would even go about testing that. To be honest its so counter-intuitive to program ive only ever used it as a cheesy/glitch sound module.

Unsubscribe

Cant you sequence in an external sequencer and record the swung midi into it tho?

West Yorks, UK

Prof; yeah, surely. But thats sorts of a lame duck situation for a midi sequencer innit?
I thought it'd make a nice bro for my SU10, maybe it will!

idk about the qy10 but my qy20 doesnt so probably not

Unsubscribe

You could always dump a song into a computer, groove it, and record it back for gigs.

Brunswick, GA USA

No swing was a main gripe in the review magazines when it was a new product, too. You may prefer the Sound Canvas series.

West Yorks, UK

Can you record without quantization? That wouldnt be so bad.

nashville,tn
chunter wrote:

No swing was a main gripe in the review magazines when it was a new product, too. You may prefer the Sound Canvas series.

Is it possible to save smf files or midi sequences in a sound canvas module? As far as the qy series, goes I've got a qy70 that is pretty awesome. Data management is a little tricky, but the qy70 is significantly less than qy100.

Brunswick, GA USA

Not save, but play them back. The Sound Canvas "sequencer" was for playback only. The suite were two half width track units that make a whole, the synth is a romper with only chorus and reverb (it is there prototype of the GS-midi standard,) and the sequencer plays GS-midi files from a 3.5 floppy.

Last edited by chunter (May 22, 2014 8:01 pm)

Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

With the QY22 at least, you can record live (which is free from being quantized) or step program. The good thing is that you are not stuck with a 16 notes for programming. Swing can be manually adjusted in editing the part. Tedious, yes, but very flexible.

West Yorks, UK

wry: just what i was looking for! thanks!!

Unsubscribe

This might be useful:
https://www.future-retro.com/swynxoverview.html

West Yorks, UK

it might! quite pricey. probs get a MI midipal ahead of that, but its certainly something to consider! Cheers