Did this awhile back and wanted to share it.
Makes the SP last hella long. :-)

I've been using my personal one to play pokemon on and off for at least a couple of weeks with no sign of needing a charge.
Very impressed with the improved lasting charge power and ease of the mod.
2,000 mAh over the standard 600 is a HUGE difference.
(The 2,000 mAh ones are like $3 on ebay.)

Here's how I did it...
EDIT:
Improved method and tutorial:

http://imgur.com/a/1KNWp

--------------------

Thank you for your time and have a great day! :-)

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Jan 11, 2015 5:49 am)

Taichung, Taiwan

Dope!

Michigan

Super dope!

Cleveland, OH

Simple and smart. I may do this at some point.

Why aren't we funding this?

Also quick question, ok guessing it takes 2000/600 times as long to charge. Most devices charge at 1c, and Nintendo devices take longer than an hour (typical time for a 1c charge) usually, so I'm guessing they charge at 1/2c.

About how long does this take to fully charge?

Thanks for all the comments! Good questions. There's nothing to fund. It's a relatively easy mod as it requires no soldering or technical "know how". Anyone with an SP, a DSi battery, the basic tools and a few minutes can do this, then pop in the DSi battery and enjoy! 3-)

As for how long to charge, I have yet to time the charging but I would estimate at around 6 hours or so off the top of my head.
Can't say exactly at this time as I have a mix of standard 840s and 2,000s for DSi as well as orig. NDS 850 mAh ones (also fit in an SP w/ removal of the 2 prongs) that I use so I'm probably off.

I will time the 2,000 mAh DSi battery once my personal unit dies next chance I get and post edit the charge time for it.
If I can get the damn thing to die first that is...haha!

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (May 24, 2014 4:27 pm)

The funding thing was a lame attempt at internet funny, please ignore. Nice work though, it's simple but so effective

kirby epic yarn

CA

I grabbed one from ebay just to check its size and how it'd fit a pocket ( since 2A is quite an impressive capacity). Turns out this is smaller than anything on batteryspace with the same capacity and requires minor modification of battery compartment (as opposed to completely removing it and even relocating some of the caps). The only question is - how do we know is it a single Li-Ion cell or several cells connected in parallel? Thanks!

Last edited by friendofmegaman (May 29, 2014 4:02 am)

Taichung, Taiwan
friendofmegaman wrote:

I grabbed one from ebay just to check its size and how it'd fit a pocket ( since 2A is quite an impressive capacity). Turns out this is smaller than anything on batteryspace with the same capacity and requires minor modification of battery compartment (as opposed to completely removing it and even relocating some of the caps). The only question is - how do we know is it a single Li-Ion cell or several cells connected in parallel? Thanks!

Unwrap the protective skin of the battery... carefully.

Why would you want to know if it's multiple batteries or not???

The important thing you need to know about them is output and how much capacity the unit has. The number of cells isn't important.

If it had a bazillion cells but had a low charge capacity, it wouldn't stack up to a battery with 1 or 2 cells with a higher charge capacity.

CA
katsumbhong wrote:
friendofmegaman wrote:

The important thing you need to know about them is output and how much capacity the unit has. The number of cells isn't important.

If it had a bazillion cells but had a low charge capacity, it wouldn't stack up to a battery with 1 or 2 cells with a higher charge capacity.

Well the reason I'm asking is that I want to hook it up with a usb charger and a protective circuit that prevents overcharging and overdischarging. This is necessary with li-on/po batteries otherwise the thing might heat up too much and damage the actual device it is powering. So I need to know do I need a protective board for a single cell or for 2 or more cells. It might be that the battery already has the protective board, but I it could by that all the protection is handled by DSi itself.

Now since it provides 3.7 volts it's either a single cell or a pack of cells in parallel.

PS I probably didn't state it clear but I'd like to install it in a game boy pocket, not SP.

Last edited by friendofmegaman (May 29, 2014 5:43 am)

Lithium cells can be hooked up in parallel and charged like one cell. they self balance when hooked up in parallel, I charge 6 lipos at a time for my one helicopter since they are single cells. It's important that the cells are close in voltage before you hook them up though, however if they come together they are already fine.

The only time balancing is needed (while charging) is series litium, as if you charge a 2 cell pack to 8.4v (the full charge) one cell may be 4.1v and the other 4.3v (where 4.2v is max on the cell) and over time this gap can grow and eventually ruin one or both cells.

Taichung, Taiwan
friendofmegaman wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

Well the reason I'm asking is that I want to hook it up with a usb charger and a protective circuit that prevents overcharging and overdischarging. This is necessary with li-on/po batteries otherwise the thing might heat up too much and damage the actual device it is powering. So I need to know do I need a protective board for a single cell or for 2 or more cells. It might be that the battery already has the protective board, but I it could by that all the protection is handled by DSi itself.

Now since it provides 3.7 volts it's either a single cell or a pack of cells in parallel.

PS I probably didn't state it clear but I'd like to install it in a game boy pocket, not SP.

Rule of thumb: Lithium Ion Battery = YOU SHOULD ADD A PROTECTIVE CHARGING CIRCUIT.

CA
katsumbhong wrote:
friendofmegaman wrote:

Rule of thumb: Lithium Ion Battery = YOU SHOULD ADD A PROTECTIVE CHARGING CIRCUIT.

What? It's exactly what I wrote, and that's why I'm asking about the number of cells... Anyways I'll figure on my own, thanks, this discussion becomes pretty pointless.

Taichung, Taiwan
friendofmegaman wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

What? It's exactly what I wrote, and that's why I'm asking about the number of cells... Anyways I'll figure on my own, thanks, this discussion becomes pretty pointless.

If it was multi-cell, and you know that they are in a parallel circuit, your question is redundant. Your question is pointless.

CA
katsumbhong wrote:
friendofmegaman wrote:

If it was multi-cell, and you know that they are in a parallel circuit, your question is redundant. Your question is pointless.

Yah as I said I'll manage on my own. Thanks for you help.