West Yorks, UK

No0b.

Last edited by Domu (Jun 3, 2014 7:08 pm)

Honestly this really is not the forum to ask these questions.  I'm sure a few here are into modular or about to get into modular, but the forum that has the experience to answer these questions is Muffwiggler.com

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto … highlight=

I recently just posted a thread there where I chronologically go through my expansion into modular.  Great people and all kinds of information there too.  A word of caution though, do some reading.  Plenty of newb threads there with the basic info you are looking for.

West Yorks, UK

Ok cheers. The thread especially im sure will prove useful or at least interesting.

West Yorks, UK

Haha mate, having looked at that thread, I can say my expansion into modular is gonna be a little..  slower.

You say that now, they don't call it eurocrack for nothing he. he. he.
If you treasure your wallet, you will walk away now, just sayin'

Tacoma WA

its fun.  MW is a great place to go.

matt's mind

there are a surprising amount of modular people on this forum.  i missed out on your questions, but you could get some very good advice from folks here.  who innately understand your chip background as well.

but, yes, in full agreement on the money aspect of this.  it can snowball very quickly.  quite addictive.

there is a really huge secondhand market for modules and they generally hold their value well if you keep them in good condition.  at least there is that, haha.  they are good 'investments', as it were...

matt's mind

i'd personally suggest building as many kits as you can, rather than buy all your modules prebuilt (sure, not all modules are available for sDIY, but likewise many DIY modules aren't available prebuilt).  you will save a lot of money this way and learn a great deal about electronics in the process.  especially how to calibrate/tune with a scope.  which is a golden skill.

also, group buys!  seek out the group buy section of whatever forum you are lurking around.  there is probably someone arranging a PCB run of some whacky something.  a few notable module makers got started doing this very thing (fonitronik comes to mind)

i've found electro-music.com to be a good place for group buys and such in the past.

http://electro-music.com/forum/

USA

You can also get crafty and make a rack mounted NES -

(I can't find the original article that this picture was from)

I've wanted to do something like this with the addition of a small screen for a while and also have a designated music/game laptop with emulators for both sound/visuals and a drawer full of DMGs and such on a rack setup to keep all my gear organized and easy to set up for live shows/recording.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Jun 4, 2014 9:59 am)

West Yorks, UK

kitsch thanks for the advice there! Going to pm you with a coupla quick questions if thats ok!

Unsubscribe

Next question: How do you stop?

West Yorks, UK

Im set on the idea. Using mutable instrments Frames module as some kind of unholy brain.
Hopefully I can build a functional little system for about £600-700 to begin with ( Modular sampler big_smile )
My shopping list amounts to about £1300 so far though, and it's only going to get bigger. May have to look into building my own to reduce costs!

Tacoma WA
Domu wrote:

Im set on the idea. Using mutable instrments Frames module as some kind of unholy brain.
Hopefully I can build a functional little system for about £600-700 to begin with ( Modular sampler big_smile )
My shopping list amounts to about £1300 so far though, and it's only going to get bigger. May have to look into building my own to reduce costs!

remember you're going to need 5v power for any MI stuff.  some power supplies supply it and other don't. 

you're based in the UK so for DIY stuff Thonk is the way to go.

if you're looking for a nice looking wooden case i can't speak highly enough of ross lamond.

http://www.lamonddesign.co.uk/buy-bespo … lar-cases/

dude's stuff looks ace and he even flew over to the US for a modular meetup earlier this month.  super cool dude.

West Yorks, UK

those cases look very nice. I presume to be going skiff or the cheapest possible however, until ive got a little working collection of modules!
I missed out on a korg trident yesterday that would have funded the entire system. Ive been slapping myself since. sad