Anton Maiden Topic
==============

So anton maiden (1980-2003 R.I.P.) is pretty much chiptunes. lots of OPL jams that would be called chiptunes these days. and also one of the best and most unique chiptuners of all time IMHO. so let's talk here about anton maiden

Can you name any anton-maiden influenced chip acts? It may be hard at first glance. "Best of the west", heosphoros, danimal cannon... philosophically it is not really the same (Not talking about Plagiarism here, who gives a sh*t about iron maiden midis)

Anton maiden is one of the only folk chip musicians to have been successful globally. Other acts seeking to emulate anton maiden should be hard to find as folk music is not likely to be performed at, e.g. pulsewave. The ubiquity of computers should mean more (not less) folk music however is this true? we have Lil B and beyond this?... people on myspace. Is PC-folk doomed to arcanity by its very nature? Anton maiden is the tip of the iceberg

Another movement that seems indebted to anton maiden is the covers and mashups scene. E.g. saskrotch nintendo beats, Goto80 spice girls megamixes, and Famitracker forums in its entirety. All of these are ttaking the good work of Anton maiden and running with it... though you could say chip covers have been around since Anton Gustafsson was born, pretty much, that doesn't really matter.

just noticed anton maiden was pretty cute, I would like to snuggle with him in the afterlife after i too die the early death of the unpopular tracker folk musician with a mood disorder. whats in a name??

What's your favourite Anton "Maiden" Gustafsson song?

That's Mine, B.T.W.

South Korea

How the fuck had I never heard of this guy before? I heart Iron Maiden, I heart shitty singing, I heart midi/mod tunes! This is fantastic. His version of the TheTrooper is the bomb! Thanks for this sandneil.

DeerPresident wrote:

How the fuck had I never heard of this guy before? I heart Iron Maiden, I heart shitty singing, I heart midi/mod tunes! This is fantastic. His version of the TheTrooper is the bomb! Thanks for this sandneil.

YW pal!!! I love anton maiden!

UK, Leicester

I thought I'd stumbled onto encyclopedia dramatica for a second there. Despite the fact that I don't like it, it's all strangely catchy.

Unsubscribe

He was a big influence on me, int he sense that he got me to take mods seriously in a way I didn't before his bout of internet fame.This was a bit of a gateway for me into getting into chiptune creation.

Its a shame how his life ended, hope he has some peace now.

Last edited by herr_prof (Jun 12, 2014 4:26 pm)

herr_prof wrote:

He was a big influence on me, int he sense that he got me to take mods seriously in a way I didn't before his bout of internet fame.This was a bit of a gateway for me into getting into chiptune creation.

Its a shame how his life ended, hope he has some peace now.

thats really cool that anton got you into chiptunes

personlly i didnt really find him until after i got into chiptunes but i think his sincerity and individuality s a big influence to us all. not that i am great at sincerity... ho ho

& yea, RIP anton maiden. some people burn the candle at both ends i guess

Unsubscribe

I wouldnt say he got me into chiptunes, but he definitely helped break down the mystique over the little mod files and the people who made them. He seemed a really sincere and honest performer, and his story is a bit sad to me, especially when I heard he was slightly cyber bullied by the early 2000s version of the chiptune pitchfork brigade.

by the way if you dig the whole chip as found folk resource thingy, check out monotrona:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CNLSBIaQ7M

Sweeeeeeden

Chipflip: http://chipflip.wordpress.com/2011/01/1 … on-maiden/

oh lord MONOTRONA rule, thanks herr prof

hopefully pitch fork brigade didnt lead directly to his suicide. still rememebr 8bc tryng to get that girl kicked out of university over a youtube video lol. that could have ruined someones life too. its not worth it for chiptunes...

cool article nitro2k01, chipflipman always knows his stuff

UK, Leicester
sandneil wrote:

still rememebr 8bc tryng to get that girl kicked out of university over a youtube video lol. that could have ruined someones life too. its not worth it for chiptunes...

I remember this, there are very few things on 8bc that people talk about that I can honestly say I remember. I'm not saying that failing her entire course was what she deserved, but she did steal someone else's music, and act as though she composed it. If you take a course about composing music, then it's really not fair of you to ride off of someone else's success

New Zealand

chiptunes, the guy just used midi files of iron maiden
sure they are funny but if the kid aint killed himself none of yall would have even cared bout him, n if he turned up on this site n posted his tunes yall would rip the shit out of him

bless his soul

Last edited by 8BIT KIDD (Jun 13, 2014 7:55 am)

South Korea
8BIT KIDD wrote:

if the kid aint killed himself none of yall would have even cared bout him

I don't give the tiniest fuck that the kid is dead! I don't "care" about him, or anybody else whose music I listen to. The music is different, and recording and releasing it is both ballsy and sincere, and I "care" about that. Why should enjoying something be fueled by emotions toward the artist, and whether or not they are in a box?

edit: And if he showed up here I would encourage him to release more and to write his own music.

Last edited by DeerPresident (Jun 13, 2014 8:34 am)

Youngstown, OH

10/10 would reblog