Madrid, Spain

Hi everyone!

I've read the post related with LSDJ and Black Metal, and I wanted to ask something similar but with a different genre, deathcore. I've been using and learning LSDJ's stuff for a couple of months, but I can't get what I'm looking for.

The first band that I think when I join chiptune/electronic music with deathcore is We Butter The Bread With Butter, but I'm thinking in other bands when I think in deathcore. The sound I want is similar to Chelsea Grin, Suffokate or Bring Me The Horizon (their first LP only).

The stuff I'm using is a GameBoy with LSDJ recorded with a little mix table directly in Ableton Live, and the same with an electric guitar passing its input to Guitar Rig 5 first with a sound as the deathcore guitars. About drums, I'm just using normal drums which are in Ableton Live, as other Nintendocore bands that use normal drums, but I'm thinking about record and use the drum sounds from the Electric Drum ROM.

My problem comes when I try to make the melodies with LSDJ, I don't know exactly how to make sounds that fit to the style. I've tried with some instruments that people have shared in this forum and in youtube, but it doesn't sound well.

The song's structure which I think that fits with the genre is just drums, the electric guitar as rhythm guitar (just breakdowns), and use LSDJ to create the solo guitar and the melody of the song (including bass). I think that a lot of Nintendocore songs use this structure.

I create this post to have information for people as me that are interested in make something similar to what I've explained, and have all here together.

Last edited by mrmangado (Jun 25, 2014 1:56 am)

South Korea

Why do you WANT to use LSDJ? Seeing as you're doing 90% of your songwriting/recording in Ableton Live already, won't it be easier and cheaper to just use some VSTi like Chipsounds or whatever? Do you plan on playing the songs live, with a full band? Because using Ableton for the drum parts and LSDJ for lead + bass will be a pain in the ass to setup/sync/juggle/trigger along with guitars and vocals. I know this won't be a very popular opinion, but LSDJ isn't always the best choice. If you INSIST on using a handheld, why not try something with some more flexibility, maybe NitroTracker on Nintendo DS or LittleGPTracker for PSP/GP2X/Dingoo?

Last edited by DeerPresident (Jun 25, 2014 3:29 am)

USA

So what is your question exactly?

Are you wondering how to make brutal metal chipmusic?

My advice would be to get creative and forget about trying to fit into a specific genre.

The Zen of Screaming by Melissa Cross helped me with my vocals(or should I say helped me scream better without hurting myself) but I learned much more by just going to shows and spending time with other vocalists/metalheads/artists in Northern California.

I've also found that if you use an MXR Fullbore Metal pedal with something like a tube screamer or BOSS DS-1 or some other type of overdrive/distortion pedal in front of it along with a guitar with a bridge humbucker you can turn pretty much any amp with a clean channel into a brutal metal fire breathing monster.

The Carvin DC7X or DC800 is the guitar your going to want for everything from blues/jazz to the most brutal metal.

And I feel like the ultimate guitar pick for brutal metal is the Dunlop Ultex Sharp .73mm.

For chipmusic brutal metal I would recommend recording some samples from your LSDJ instruments into a computer and trigger them with a midi keyboard or drum pad to help you with odd time signatures and accents.

You can make some brutal sounding stuff if you use the WAV channel in LSDJ then mess around in the Instrument and Table screens while your phrases/chains are playing.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Jun 25, 2014 4:21 am)

New Zealand

Yes...?

Lexington, KY

Straight up, for your money, the DMG gives you da most brutal shit you can come up with, seriously.

One thing I do for djents or breakdowns, is make a harsh-ish WAV and in the instrument table, transpose the first 3 ticks, 00, F8, EC.
That'll give you some goddamn punch, and using the R command in your phrase screen or writing with a shorter groove will allow you to do quick metal-style triplets.

DO IT.

Madrid, Spain
DeerPresident wrote:

Why do you WANT to use LSDJ? Seeing as you're doing 90% of your songwriting/recording in Ableton Live already, won't it be easier and cheaper to just use some VSTi like Chipsounds or whatever? Do you plan on playing the songs live, with a full band? Because using Ableton for the drum parts and LSDJ for lead + bass will be a pain in the ass to setup/sync/juggle/trigger along with guitars and vocals. I know this won't be a very popular opinion, but LSDJ isn't always the best choice. If you INSIST on using a handheld, why not try something with some more flexibility, maybe NitroTracker on Nintendo DS or LittleGPTracker for PSP/GP2X/Dingoo?

I planned to play alone, so I think that would be really usefull to get everything together in Ableton. I pretended to use some plug-ins as Chipsounds, but the free ones are just for Windows, and Chipsounds isn't free. But I didn't know about NitroTracker, and seems really awesome.

Solarbear wrote:

Straight up, for your money, the DMG gives you da most brutal shit you can come up with, seriously.

One thing I do for djents or breakdowns, is make a harsh-ish WAV and in the instrument table, transpose the first 3 ticks, 00, F8, EC.
That'll give you some goddamn punch, and using the R command in your phrase screen or writing with a shorter groove will allow you to do quick metal-style triplets.

DO IT.

Seems cool, I going to try it, thanks!

Madrid, Spain
SurfaceDragon wrote:

So what is your question exactly?

Are you wondering how to make brutal metal chipmusic?

My advice would be to get creative and forget about trying to fit into a specific genre.

The Zen of Screaming by Melissa Cross helped me with my vocals(or should I say helped me scream better without hurting myself) but I learned much more by just going to shows and spending time with other vocalists/metalheads/artists in Northern California.

I've also found that if you use an MXR Fullbore Metal pedal with something like a tube screamer or BOSS DS-1 or some other type of overdrive/distortion pedal in front of it along with a guitar with a bridge humbucker you can turn pretty much any amp with a clean channel into a brutal metal fire breathing monster.

The Carvin DC7X or DC800 is the guitar your going to want for everything from blues/jazz to the most brutal metal.

And I feel like the ultimate guitar pick for brutal metal is the Dunlop Ultex Sharp .73mm.

For chipmusic brutal metal I would recommend recording some samples from your LSDJ instruments into a computer and trigger them with a midi keyboard or drum pad to help you with odd time signatures and accents.

You can make some brutal sounding stuff if you use the WAV channel in LSDJ then mess around in the Instrument and Table screens while your phrases/chains are playing.

I was thinking about buy a drum pad or a mix table syncroniced to Tracktor, and also mix the songs live.

Riverside, CA

My friend and I made brutal death metal/ deathcore/black metal stuff that used lsdj.
We only managed to record one song before he went to jail, but we'll be putting out more stuff later this year when he gets out.
My server's down atm but I'll edit with a link this weekend hopefully.

.FILTHadelphia

You can get some great distortion out of FM (Sega and MS-DOS stuff.) I'm not sure why people aren't making metal that way.

Unsubscribe

cause fm metal sounds like:

IL, US
defiantsystems wrote:

You can get some great distortion out of FM (Sega and MS-DOS stuff.) I'm not sure why people aren't making metal that way.

fm in general is great for distorted guitar, 2nd place to weird wav channel cycling, 3rd to pulse duty cycle modulation.. lots of options, though piggy's sampling, distortion, etc makes it great to work with too, just in some ways less pure chip (if you for some reason are hung up on that)

Madrid, Spain
e.s.c. wrote:
defiantsystems wrote:

fm in general is great for distorted guitar, 2nd place to weird wav channel cycling, 3rd to pulse duty cycle modulation.. lots of options, though piggy's sampling, distortion, etc makes it great to work with too, just in some ways less pure chip (if you for some reason are hung up on that)

What is exactly FM? It's like the Massive Instrument's FM?

IL, US

its frequency modulation, just a type of synthesis.. sega systems used it, as did many yamaha synths, old soundblaster cards and nanoloop 2.3 has it in there too... massive's is just one of the software options for fm synthesis