I love the music from Capcom's CPS-1 titles (Knights of the Round) and Konami's arcade games (Turtles in Time) that use the YM2151.

What options are out there to create music for this?

So far my only options (that aren't fakechip) are MLL and.... MLL. I'm willing to give this a try, but before I do, are there any tutorials/guides that help? Or, please God, a tracker? I know about Herzeleid, but that seems to be discontinued/not available anymore.

And can anyone confirm that this is YM2151? I only see OPM written on the program.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

So from Google Translate

Because it is with much effort, so as to be able to save sounds,
I tried to model (OPM) FM sound source YM2151 incidentally. Tone that was possible and Pikokakiko, pattern made even SiON (or obvious)

So ummm... guess it's a YM2151 emu with midi input(?)
Yogi

Thank you. I've looked into XPMCK and it looks like a giant leap, but I can see its advantages.

Luckily I've got this OPM program to test out sounds with. I think I'll write a guide as I go specifically tailored to writing MML for YM2151.

Nomad's Land

Btw Herzeleid is still available at http://git.daifukkat.su/?p=herzeleid.gi … ds/master.
However, even though I managed to build it, I can't get it to actually run, it just crashes with a "can't open device" error.

If somebody else wants to try, lines 4-6 of the makefile need to be changed accordingly:

LIBS = -ldl -lao -lm -lpthread
INCDIR = -I/usr/include/ao/
LIBDIR = -L/usr/lib

Cheers and good luck with YM2151 music making.

I thought I'd let you know my progress on this so far:

I chose to stick with XPMCK. Here's the guide I've written so far. XPMCK YM2151 Guide
I'll include this template and whenever I get done with it, I'll see about making an HTML version.

Here's what I've made so far: Popcorn.vgm

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Sorry for the bump, but just in case someone find this by search:
DefleMask supports YM2151 paired with a SEGA PCM soundchip (OutRun, Hang-On, etc configuration).

You, sir, are a godsend.

How many channels does the SEGA PCM soundchip have? (please be at least one! tongue)

Are these logged as .VGM files?

Buenos Aires, Argentina

DefleMask supports 5 SEGA PCM channels at the same time. The Arcade configuration then is 8 FM channels from YM2151 and 5 PCM. 13 Channels in total btw.
And yes, .vgm export is supported too (Disk. Op -> S.VGM) smile
video

Last edited by Delek (Oct 13, 2015 12:07 am)

I checked out some of the modules. They sound great!

The problem with VGM, if I'm not mistaken, is that it doesn't log any of the PCM channels. Am I right?

New Zealand

I'm also a fan of the YM2151 sound smile

I've been working on an Arduino Due based stand-alone tracker/player for a few months.
I've been building it into an old electric typewriter tongue

I probably wont have it working till next year sometime but while share the designs/code once it's looking like a workable solution smile

Arc-Demon wrote:

I checked out some of the modules. They sound great!

The problem with VGM, if I'm not mistaken, is that it doesn't log any of the PCM channels. Am I right?

Actually, VGM logs the PCM channels perfectly fine. I'm having no problem playing back a YM2151 .vgm file made from Deflemask with ALL of the PCM channels loud and clear!

Really? Which player/plugin are you using?

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Arc-Demon, probably you have an outdated version of in_vgm plugin. Grab the latest one from vgmrips.net

Oh, good--now it won't play at all. sad VGMPlay works fine though. That Rising Blue Lightning track is a killer!

I'll reinstall in_vgm when I get back from work.

Arc-Demon wrote:

Oh, good--now it won't play at all. sad VGMPlay works fine though. That Rising Blue Lightning track is a killer!

I'll reinstall in_vgm when I get back from work.

Ah, glad to hear. Yeah, VGMPlay is what I use to test out .vgm files. And you used the same track I used as a test. smile

Now there should be nothing holding you back from kickin' out some fly YM2151 tunes! tongue

Take care!

Okay, the Winamp plugin was working the entire time, but for some reason that awesome Rising Blue track was crashing it. After compressing it to .vgz it works fine.

I wish I had known about this VGM update sooner. Being able to mute tracks is really useful.

Now I just gotta get used to Deflemask's interface.