I am going to be in Europe from May 31st to August 3rd, mostly in the UK. I would like to visit: London, Faroe Islands, Aberdeen, Shetland, Orkney, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Liverpool, Isle of Man, Belfast, Dublin, Cardiff, London again, Guernsey, Jersey, Paris, some WWI battlefields in northern France, Brussels, and Holland - approximately in that order, but the schedule is not set in stone (apart from the NYC/London flight on May 31st, London/Faroes flight on June 7th, Faroes/London flight on June 14th, and London/NYC flight on August 3rd.) A friend will be traveling with me for most of the way I think, except he'll be in Northern Ireland while I'm in the Faroe Islands.

1) Does anyone know of any chip gigs happening in or nearby the mentioned areas between May 31st and August 3rd?

2) Does anyone in or near those areas want to just hang out and/or let me and my friend crash at their place?
Especially London? Our plans to stay with some relatives or family friends there have fallen through because they're all on vacation as well! We can always do the couchsurfing thing, but it would be cooler to stay with a fellow chip fanatic. C'mon... we can play with the Amiga 1200 I bought on the UK eBay that I'm going to pick up in person from the seller in London.

3) Have you got any recommendations for cool non-chip non-touristy things to do?

Scotland

I have an 8bit installation on in Dundee, Scotland, until the 30th of May, alas!

I playing a show in Dundee on June 3rd and Sycamore Drive is playing Edinburgh on June 23rd, I believe - you should definitely check it out if you're there.

I'll look on to anything - if you're in Glasgow or Edinburgh though, let us know! I'm sure the Scottish chip folk would be up for meeting up.

Contrarywise, do you know anyone cool for my trip to Brooklyn next month?

Thanks man. I'll make that Edinburgh show if I'm there in time. I'll definitely be there at some point, as well as Glasgow.
As for stuff in Brooklyn... there are tons of people! NYC has a huge chip scene (well, huge by chip standards), and shows occur regularly - the most notable being Pulsewave in Manhattan. You should start a separate thread for that.

The Rubber Man
Awol wrote:

I am going to be in Europe from May 31st to August 3rd, mostly in the UK. I would like to visit: (,,,) Cardiff (...)

Cardiff, yeah. smile Look for Torchwood Agency. wink
If I go one day to Cardiff, I will surely go to the place they were making the series, hehe. smile

Edinburgh

As mentioned on 8bc - give me a shout if you make it to Aberdeen. You've mis-timed it for chip shows, but I can point out the limited local attractions. smile

YERZMYEY wrote:

Cardiff, yeah. smile Look for Torchwood Agency. wink
If I go one day to Cardiff, I will surely go to the place they were making the series, hehe. smile

I've never watched that show! I don't watch a lot of TV. I do like Doctor Who though.

Comptroller wrote:

As mentioned on 8bc - give me a shout if you make it to Aberdeen. You've mis-timed it for chip shows, but I can point out the limited local attractions. smile

Yeah, I know. sad I bought my plane tickets ages ago. I'm always up for meeting more chip fanatics though! smile
I'll probably arrive in Aberdeen by train from London either June 14th or 15th, and be there for 2 or 3 days. It'll just be me though. My friend will still be in Belfast and we'll meet up again in Glasgow.

Montréal

I don't live in Paris but if you need a place to stay, hit me up at zombipnok/at/gmail/dot/com, i got a few friends who would be happy to welcome you smile

Thanks for the offer! I think we'll be able to stay with a relative in Paris, but if things fall through I'll let you know. But if your friends are into chip music it might be cool to just hang out with them.