Madison, WI

Hey Everybody,

I've been heavily involved with the new nanoloop 2.7 release, and am really fascinated by the expanding potential of this software. In the interest of making it easier for others to use nl to its full potential, I have decided to put together a video tutorial series on the basics, advanced controls, and finally, how to get the most out of nl in an improvisational scenario.

I NEED YOUR HELP! Please aid me by either backing this project or by advertising this fundraiser on whatever feeds you may have access to. It would be extremely helpful, and if successful, would bring all kinds of new interest to this often underutilized and misunderstood piece of software.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/65 … anoloop-2x

I'm hoping to raise $400 via Kickstarter, just enough to cover the cost of a GoPro and a microphone.

Please help out!
-Anthony

São Paulo, Brazil

No offense, but why do you need a GoPro for that?

San Diego

HD?

Yeah the GoPro is such a weird choice for this. It's basically the opposite of what it's designed for.

São Paulo, Brazil

unless you put it on a helmet and shoot the gba screen while jumping on parachutes.

IL, US
PULSELOOPER wrote:

unless you put it on a helmet and shoot the gba screen while jumping on parachutes.

perfect stretch goal

Madison, WI

OK, update time!

The Kickstarter has been cancelled.  I evaluated what was actually necessary to make this happen, and I can do it a lot cheaper.

New filming equipment is on the way, so you can expect more material to start coming out around August 20th.

In the interim, you can watch my latest tutorial on nl 2.7 (filmed 8/6/2014).  After watching it, you will understand why I need better filming equipment.

Nanoloop 2.7 Improvisation Tutorial

Last edited by nonfinite (Aug 8, 2014 1:10 pm)

Madison, WI
PULSELOOPER wrote:

I desperately want to do a music video of me jamming out to my GBA in various places around my city using a head mounted camera.

Last edited by nonfinite (Aug 8, 2014 1:11 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

I did a few NL 2.3 tutorials a while back. The way I did it was to mount a camera on a ghetto tripod made of cardboard and tape and point the camera right at the GBA screen. I then looked at the screen on the back of the camera rather than the GBA screen while using the GBA controls. Then you can get a nice big view of the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_Cmm-ZuzY

Might be worth thinking about? I found it a bit hard to see what was going on on the screen in your video as it was a bit tiny (and im old and my eyes are getting dodgy).

Cant wait for the series!

Sweeeeeeden

In case my opinion is wanted, this should be your setup for this: Gamecube+GBA player and capture that video stream with a capture card/USB device to your computer. Then perhaps record a stream of your fingers on the controller. But that leaves you with the issue of synching the video streams. Or, perhaps even better, contact Oliver and ask him if he can he provide you with a version of NL that shows the buttons that are currently pressed overlaid on the screen so you can show a pure video stream of NL.

Turku, FIN

IMHO the most important thing is to get good quality sound from the machine. Camera microphones are too shitty for that!

Madison, WI

Didrik, that's all really good advice!  Will a GBA player work without the startup disc?  Most of the auctions I see for them say "no disc - tested works!!!1one" or something similar.

I'll ask Oliver about updating his software.  Can't hurt, right?

KeFF, I recorded the GBA and vocal audio directly on the Camera mic AND separately using a Tascam digital recorder plugged in to a mixer.  I'll be able to overlay the audio in the future.

Turku, FIN

Thats awesome smile
Looking forward to these.

Abandoned on Fire
nonfinite wrote:

Didrik, that's all really good advice!  Will a GBA player work without the startup disc?  Most of the auctions I see for them say "no disc - tested works!!!1one" or something similar.

You do have to have the disc to run the Gameboy Player.  I have one that I use quite a bit, in my opinion it's worth investing in just for the comfort and enjoyment on having lsdj/nanoloop on a big screen.  smile

Madison, WI

Will a japanese model work in a US GameCube?  The Japanese ones come in better colors and are about half the price.

Abandoned on Fire
nonfinite wrote:

Will a japanese model work in a US GameCube?  The Japanese ones come in better colors and are about half the price.

Not according to this FAQ: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/915781 … faqs/22465

"The Boot Disc is NOT region-free. So if you bought a Game Boy Player
from Japan, you can only use the Boot Disc that came with it on a
Japanese GameCube, unless you have a mod switch installed or use a
Datel Freeloader. "

EDIT:  however, it seems that if you have a U.S. disc then you CAN use it to boot a Japanese GBPlayer (probably...)

Last edited by egr (Aug 8, 2014 5:25 pm)