Italy

I recently started to use the Game Boy (DMG model) with the latest Nanoloop in our live gigs. We have one piece that is an improvisation for Game Boy and bass clarinet, which I think is quite fun. I program the whole sequence live from scratch on Nanoloop and my mate is playing the clarinet on it. In second half we also add some beats (curtesy of the LXR drum synth) and some loops I record from a bent Casio SK-1.

Here's a video of the last live performance we did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85tb_hximnY

and just because I have it at hand, a pic from the performance:

Whateverville, California

Very interesting stuff. Well done!

Ohio, USA

I love seeing all this Nanoloop stuff on the forum these last few days. Really interesting performance, by the way. I never imagined a bass clarinet sounding so good with 8-bit music and synths. smile

Italy

thanks a lot!

Wholesome Family Music wrote:

I love seeing all this Nanoloop stuff on the forum these last few days. Really interesting performance, by the way. I never imagined a bass clarinet sounding so good with 8-bit music and synths. smile

yeah I was surprised too! But I think the raw Game Boy square waves create a really cool timbral dialogue to the reedy bass clarinet, they have some elements in common, but there is a cool contrast between the synthetic lo-fi quality of the DMG and the soft and acoustic tone of the clarinet.

And yeah I love nanoloop. I had actually always snobbed the Game Boy for being a bit of a fashion but I was wrong I admit it! I first started to use Nanoloop on the iPhone, then decided to get the GB version... so to say, the real thing! It's totally fun and has a great interface!