Montreal

If you like creating raw noises and textures with just a dpad, or you want to improve on your APU emulation (which is why I made this), then this little NES rom might be of your liking:

http://plogue.com/davidv/CS/Plogue_livenes_v1.1.zip (Its using the UN-ROM mapper), so either you put that on an EPROM hack cart (like i did) or a Powerpack (which I don't have), or your favorite emu, but YMMV.

Here's a "no sequencing" "no cheating" piece that I made this morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7uoukR4o3M

Would be an interesting challenge for the likes of you that want extra limitations smile

Last edited by plgDavid (Sep 12, 2014 2:05 pm)

Sick, I can't wait to try this out!

Plantation, Florida

I just though of how awesome it would be to somehow control this on a frame-by-frame basis and have music play, while showing the corresponding bits change in real time.

Dallas, Texas

I'll leave this here ;P

Using EPROMs in place of NES Mask ROMS:

27CXXX series EPROMs,
27C64, 27C128, 27C256, 27C512, 27C010, 27C020, 27C040

UNROM (mapper 2):
Bend up pins 1, 2, 24 and 31
Solder pin 2 to hole 22 (A16)
Solder pin 24 to GND (OE)

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Sep 6, 2014 5:58 am)

I have been working with this all weekend big_smile
I have just one request.  Is there a possibility to remove the ability for the cursor to go below rows 4013 on the left and 4017 on the right?
Or have it to where it will go back up to the top rows again immediately instead of the empty rows at the bottom?
I am using it in a random function with a MCTRL and those 'false positive' rows at the bottom sometimes cause the cursor to just stay at the bottom at times doing nothing.  I am assuming there is no function there unless you have hidden Easter eggs!?!

Other than that this is a lot of fun!

Here is the pic of the custom Super8 with modified MCTRL being controlled via my modular. This works well with the WMD SSM and Turing machine in case anyone is wondering what modules I am using to play with it.

Last edited by DSC (Sep 8, 2014 2:52 am)

Dallas, Texas

That setup looks supa-fly! I like how compact and functional your nes looks

Montreal

Thats awesome DSC, I hope you don't mind if i twittered that photo smile I will fix the dpad handling, it bugged me as well a bit, its just not clean as it is. I'll make a VRC6 mapper version as well when I get the time. (hence why there is extra space) .. Can you make a video?

Thank you for your efforts with this.  If you can knock down those extra rows, I will make a nice vid showin' it off!
Very cool and elusive things you can do with your livenes that I have not been able to do with any other rom.
Especially with the randomness of modular modules.  Excited to show it off.

Great job and huge props. Thanks for releasing this  big_smile
I will promote it more on Ninstrument.com too.

Antwerp, Belgium

David, thanks so much for this! It's a very awesome piece of software!
Do you have plans to expand the rom with any other features (besides the VRC6)?

Montreal
DSC wrote:

Thank you for your efforts with this.  If you can knock down those extra rows, I will make a nice vid showin' it off!
Very cool and elusive things you can do with your livenes that I have not been able to do with any other rom.
Especially with the randomness of modular modules.  Excited to show it off.

This is exactly why I made it.
To be able to test the "edge cases" and not-often used features for my own emulator.

Great job and huge props. Thanks for releasing this  big_smile
I will promote it more on Ninstrument.com too.

I'll try to look over that code again tonight.
Cheers

Montreal
Vegasdiamond wrote:

David, thanks so much for this! It's a very awesome piece of software!
Do you have plans to expand the rom with any other features (besides the VRC6)?

Thanks, while I don't plan on spending tons of time on it (its really a fun diversion from my real research), I will eventually have a mode where you can click the B button and increment/decrement the highlighted value. not the full register, but only the "word" that is made out of letters of the same type, say the 8LSB and 3MSB of pitch from two registers at once.
This might be even more useful for a modular I suppose.

Montreal

Updated to 1.1, (fixed the dummy areas and wrap arounds) and made a 'page' for it on my blog:
http://ploguechipsounds.blogspot.ca/201 … venes.html

Last edited by plgDavid (Sep 11, 2014 3:13 pm)

ohgodno, Indiana

been messing with this for most of the day & still finding out random goodies!!
great stuff!!

Excellent, I will check it out tonight big_smile

Montreal
b4by f4c3 wrote:

been messing with this for most of the day & still finding out random goodies!!
great stuff!!

The interactions are sometimes surprising indeed.

Worked with it all night last night!  Great job.  I am starting to put together info for a video.  I hope to also include an easy controller mod to allow use of CV/Gate inputs to show how I am controlling this as well. It should be simple enough for everyone to give it a try. I will have it posted in a week.  I will post it on Ninstrument.com and here in this thread.
Thank you again for this.  It is really a lot of fun big_smile