stargazer wrote:

Oh, I just wanted to play around with some label ideas. Didn't realize it was a paid font.

EDIT TO YOUR EDIT: Sorry, are you asking me not to play around with a label by implying that the logo is trademarked?

No.

Milwaukee, WI
CountSymphoniC wrote:

On a side note:

BAND NAMES AND TRADEMARK LAW - AN OVERVIEW
WHAT IS A TRADEMARK?

A common misunderstanding is the idea that one can "copyright" a band name. While it is possible to copyright the design of a band logo, the band name itself is not copyrightable. Band names are protectable under trademark law, because like "brand names" they allow us to distinguish one band's music and identity from another. They are what enable us to distinguish between a "Beatles" record on the one hand, and a "Chipmunks" or "Wiggles" record on the other.

I understand trademark law. I posted the photos because these are the first things that come to mind when I see/hear the name prodigy. Sega/tracking is probably the last thing to come to mind. Does prodigy reference anything specific, or was it chosen just because?

SLC, UT

I am so confused.

I have no idea who this so called "prodigy" musician is. Rap and Hip/Hop tend to fall outside of my genre scope.

1) It's an inside joke between myself and another dev from another forum.
2) Check definitions. All of them are the reason why I chose this name.

prod·i·gy
ˈprädəjē/
noun
noun: prodigy; plural noun: prodigies

a person, especially a young one, endowed with exceptional qualities or abilities.
    "a Russian pianist who was a child prodigy in his day"
    synonyms:    genius, mastermind, virtuoso, wunderkind, wonder child, boy wonder, girl wonder; More
    informalwhiz kid, whiz, wizard
    "a seven-year-old prodigy"
        an impressive or outstanding example of a particular quality.
        "Germany seemed a prodigy of industrial discipline"
        synonyms:    model, classic example, paragon, paradigm, epitome, exemplar, archetype
        an amazing or unusual thing, especially one out of the ordinary course of nature.
        "omens and prodigies abound in Livy's work"

A name is a name is a name.  Going forward if it turns into something that means something, than it will no longer be just a name.

São Paulo, Brazil
herr_prof wrote:

less talk more audio

DSC wrote:

prod·i·gy
ˈprädəjē/
noun
noun: prodigy; plural noun: prodigies

a person, especially a young one, endowed with exceptional qualities or abilities.
    "a Russian pianist who was a child prodigy in his day"
    synonyms:    genius, mastermind, virtuoso, wunderkind, wonder child, boy wonder, girl wonder; More
    informalwhiz kid, whiz, wizard
    "a seven-year-old prodigy"
        an impressive or outstanding example of a particular quality.
        synonyms:    model, classic example, paragon, paradigm, epitome, exemplar, archetype
        an amazing or unusual thing, especially one out of the ordinary course of nature.
        "omens and prodigies abound in Livy's work"

A name is a name is a name.  Going forward if it turns into something that means something, than it will no longer be just a name.

No reply could have ever been more informative than this. Thank you.

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Nov 4, 2014 3:01 am)

Milwaukee, WI
CountSymphoniC wrote:

I have no idea who this so called "prodigy" musician is. Rap and Hip/Hop tend to fall outside of my genre scope.

1) It's an inside joke between myself and another dev from another forum.
2) Check definitions. All of them are the reason why I chose this name.

Right. I'm familiar with the definition of prodigy. Thankfully it's nowhere near as ridiculous as "nerdtracker".

I simply wasn't sure if a name as co-opted as prodigy was referring to something specific/related to sega, if you were a prodigy fan (rap/electronic group), if you were referring to yourself as a prodigy, etc.

I don't care what it's called. No one has to get defensive. Just be ready to get the comparison often.

I believe that many amazing musicians on this board now and in the future are Prodigies. This tracker is designed for these people.

Detroit

ok yeah I gotta get in on this i think

Michigan

Hey Mike, I think you do too. I would love to actually attend a performance with someone using this.

Detroit

I'd be more than happy to test that out, I need to get a genesis/nomad and everdrive first I supposed.  How does this function live in relation to LSDJ?  On the fly solos/mutes/transpose/etc?

Michigan
The One Electronic wrote:

I'd be more than happy to test that out, I need to get a genesis/nomad and everdrive first I supposed.  How does this function live in relation to LSDJ?  On the fly solos/mutes/transpose/etc?

There will be a cart release first, and we're not so sure the everdrive will support the enormous amount of SRAM that I have designed onto my boards. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Only time will tell once the backup feature is actually implemented.

Detroit

donated btw

The One Electronic wrote:

donated btw

Thank you for supporting this project, I greatly appreciate it.

To answer your question, we're still in development here. But LSDj is the model tracker for this project. So the things you like doing in LSDj are the things you can expect to be doing in this tracker. But this project aims to push the standard further. There are features I have planned that no other tracker to date uses, features that will be amazingly convenient. Right now I've changed the name, the graphics, added some tracker commands and more is in the works. But when this is all said and done, this project will be a household name in the chiptune movement.

Adelaide, Australia
Jazzmarazz wrote:

There will be a cart release first, and we're not so sure the everdrive will support the enormous amount of SRAM that I have designed onto my boards. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Well the new everdrive will apparently have 16Mb of SRAM, surely that will be enough?!
See: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/mega-everdrive