New York City

In light of this thread:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1540/ … wont-play/
I want to ask if it is possible for edition to be possible only for something like 30 minutes after someone has posted.

Otherwise retarded shit like what this kid has done can occur and end up in thread destroying.
I can go back to my first post and edit it, which is pretty intense. I could erase the content in all my posts if I wished so.

It can also be used to tergiverse arguments.

Last edited by akira^8GB (May 31, 2010 4:58 pm)

Charlotte

Dude, I'm truly sorry about this mistake, I don't and did not mean to cause any trouble in the community. hmm

East Kilbride, Scotland

...or we could just ban this fool and we wouldn't need such a thing.

Editing your first post if you've made the thread can be quite important (for updates to gig threads, for instance) so it would be a shame to have to start a new thread and start clogging up the forums (and adding to the workload of mods having to delete old threads) because some forum members are unable to act maturely.

Charlotte

I asked to delete it? It was a mistake... Im terribly sorry... I asure you it will not happen again..

Sweeeeeeden

Sorry, I closed the wrong topic... Reopened.

Eugene, OR
Sycamore Drive wrote:

Editing your first post if you've made the thread can be quite important (for updates to gig threads, for instance) so it would be a shame to have to start a new thread and start clogging up the forums (and adding to the workload of mods having to delete old threads) because some forum members are unable to act maturely.

This is also important for collaboration threads or releases.  In the case you want to add album artwork or a track/artist list into the first post.  There could be a sort of permission rule so that moderators have to do the editing or change the users permissions temporarily so they can edit their posts but this would cause a huge workload for the mods and admins and also be kind of annoying.... Although I definitely see the reason for Akira's concern. hmm

United Kingdom

if  it does get banned then it will correlate against the selling policy. (Make one thread for selling and on for wanting).

Editing is a must in my opinion

New York City

Yeah it impacts those threads. However, I happen to think the TRADE section could be improved by a simple auto-purge option that erases threads older than a certain amount of time without activity (let's say, 2 months).

I don't see any reason to store those messages and that way messages keep fresh. Having just one thread by user forever is a bit pointless.

Also, to be honest, I NEVER check the first post except when it was created. If it gets updated, I don't care about going back to the first page (Specially on collaboration threads)

Last edited by akira^8GB (May 31, 2010 7:18 pm)

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

The thing is, when you edit your post, even if it was just for spelling, you look like an idiot and everyone assumes you said something dumb, unless they know you

edit: spelling

Last edited by Reteris (May 31, 2010 7:21 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

My original intention was to make a function that logs all edits, so staff can review them afterwards. But like so many other things, I never got to it.

Akira: What's wrong with keeping old trade threads? And why is it more important to purge sales threads than any other threads? It's not like they're in the way of anything. On the contrary, keeping old sales threads saves the track record of each buyer and seller which might be interesting for future buyers/sellers.

New York City
nitro2k01 wrote:

Akira: What's wrong with keeping old trade threads? And why is it more important to purge sales threads than any other threads? It's not like they're in the way of anything. On the contrary, keeping old sales threads saves the track record of each buyer and seller which might be interesting for future buyers/sellers.

Nobody is going to search thorough a person's threads to see their "track record", as far as I know, that's what the feedback thread is for.

If you purge you keep it fresh. You always have the latest 2 or 3 months worth of "trades" there. If the thread didn't receive any attention in 1 or 2 months (no user posts or < than a certain amount of views), it is pointless to keep it, the item(s) is/are probably traded, sold or bought already.
It will save space (doesn't matter) and also maybe help the search speed up (less shit to search through).

As to any other threads to purge, I don't see any parameter to safely purge automatically any other forum. They all possibly contain interesting info. But as I said, there's no interesting information in a thread about an item discarded of a year ago.

BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!

I think this problem will be a rare happenstance, if he does it again, you can ban him (not that there isn't plenty of reason for chastising as it stands), but I don't think we should limit something that has many logical and useful applications just because one person has abused it so far. He changed his posts to keep from looking foolish, but in the end achieved the opposite. If he thinks about it at all he won't do it again.

Minneapolis

Well, I don't think we should disallow retroactive editing, since it's used alot for legitimate uses, like updating sales threads, DIY threads, tutorials, and the 48 hour challenges.