Dallas, Texas
egr wrote:
stargazer wrote:

Not sure if serious....
You don't have to push the cart down. My NES works better without pushing it down.

I've never seen an nes that would boot a cart without pushing it down.  You just get the flashing orange screen.

Yeah, That NES I own has the opposite problem. It will flash blue if I DO push the cart down.

So, an update on my progress. I've found that ppmck puts all samples into bank 2 and I don't no if theres even a way to force it not to do that. since all my song data is in bank 0, it leaves a bank in between the 2 that is completely blank. I say this cause when trying to add 14 frames of NAM animation my current NSF doesn't allow practically any memory left.

I get 32k total for everything cause I use NROM boards. My song data is 5235 bytes. My samples are 2129 bytes but stuck in bank 2. So since my NSF is 3 banks total that makes it 24k. My 14 frames of animation is 14k. That is way over the limit even without the 2k or so amount of sound driver and code I need.

So Unless anyone can tell me if and how to make ppmck merge my banks into one or even just move bank 2 to 1, I am all ears.

That being said, I'm sorry this release didn't meet many of your high expectations. But There are alot of difficult challenges preventing all these things.

I stress again... I'm a musician, I make music. If you want a cart, I think it's at an acceptable price for what it is now. I'm still proud of the work I accomplished to make this, despite all the negativity.  Thank you to those of you that are encouraging and thank you to those just attempting to help.

detroit

Dallas, Texas
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

The difference is that the Nyancat song is so widely used it can be considered a part of the Internet's "cultural canon". It has gone so far that no one could police the use of the song, even if they wanted to.
What people usually react negatively to in this scene, is when a douchebag artist takes some lesser known chipmusic song and samples it without attribution and hopes that no one will notice it. Apples and oranges.

Most people aren't trying to make money off of this and there have been lawsuits for use of nyancat. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement regardless of "cultural canon."

Anyway this guy is trying to make money off of a copyrighted character and hoping nobody notices. How is this apples and oranges?

I was unaware this meme was copyrighted. But thanks for painting an unrealistic picture about my character. 

But now that you bring it to my attention, this is a cover tune. Isn't there like a mechanical license I can obtain for this?

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Nov 13, 2014 9:27 pm)

Boulder, CO
TylerBarnes wrote:
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:

Most people aren't trying to make money off of this and there have been lawsuits for use of nyancat. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement regardless of "cultural canon."

Anyway this guy is trying to make money off of a copyrighted character and hoping nobody notices. How is this apples and oranges?

I was unaware this meme was copyrighted. But thanks for painting an unrealistic picture about my character. 

But now that you bring it to my attention, this is a cover tune. Isn't there like a mechanical license I can obtain for this?

I wasn't so much talking about the tune since it is at least remade, not just stolen, more about the image. It takes minimal research to find that this is copyrighted material.

Last edited by AdamGetsAwesome (Nov 13, 2014 9:29 pm)

Sweeeeeeden
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

The difference is that the Nyancat song is so widely used it can be considered a part of the Internet's "cultural canon". It has gone so far that no one could police the use of the song, even if they wanted to.
What people usually react negatively to in this scene, is when a douchebag artist takes some lesser known chipmusic song and samples it without attribution and hopes that no one will notice it. Apples and oranges.

What you were asking about in the original post was not legality, but why people are outraged by one thing and not another. That's what I was answering.

Boulder, CO
nitro2k01 wrote:
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:

What you were asking about in the original post was not legality, but why people are outraged by one thing and not another. That's what I was answering.

Right and it's a bit unfair that you're treating some copyright infringement as more OK than other copyright infringement just because it's widely used without attribution of any kind.

Sweeeeeeden
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

Right and it's a bit unfair that you're treating some copyright infringement as more OK than other copyright infringement just because it's widely used without attribution of any kind.

I was answering a completely different question: why people think it's ok. I haven't even tried to answer whether people are justified in thinking one thing is ok, and the other not. I was just telling you why. Selective outrage exists everywhere. Just look at politics, where one injustice may get all the spotlight, whereas another injustice is conveniently ignored.

Dallas, Texas

Currently writing an email to Christopher Torres' Facebook. He lives in Dallas too so maybe we can talk about it over coffee or somthin'.

TSSBAY01

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Programming_UNROM

Dallas, Texas

Had a chat with Chris Torres. He said despite his thoughts about my project he can't allow his graphic to be used for commercial purposes by anyone. I respectfully obliged and removed the ability to purchase one.

Just going to upload the nsf here for all who still like a bit of nyan in their ears.

Brunswick, GA USA

That's too bad, because I was considering asking Daniwell if he was okay with using the song in your behalf. (Or just telling him about it to see what he has to say.)

In principle, he seems to be okay with stuff like this but he probably wishes he'd have sold more copies of his CD. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BUPTPU/

Last edited by chunter (Nov 14, 2014 1:10 am)

Dallas, Texas

Cool! I didn't know he had a CD! I definitely want one.

And thank you chunter, for the consideration.

It's a shame that it didn't work out after that work but I really really respect you for doing the right thing by hitting up the maker and I'm sure they really appreciate it too. smile Please make some carts in the future though, why not with some of your own tunes!

Dallas, Texas

Thank you. It was the right thing to do.

Yes. That's my plan. I actually had a Zelda compilation in mind after the nyan cart, but I'd likely get the same reaction right? (I actually have several nsf covers of n64 zelda songs done.)

At least I was wise enough to leave all my NROM board unassembled, so I can utilize the remainder for a future project.

So I will continue on my cart EP. Should have enough memory for about 4 or 5 tunes. I could possibly get something like 7-8 if I refrain from using the noise channel to make my drums all Hi-Fi sounding, as I did in my nyan.nsf

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Nov 14, 2014 2:24 am)

The Zelda stuff is up in the air. Literally hundreds of people make lots of money, hell even a living, by profitting off of selling video game appropriations at conventions and online. It's a legal concern that takes a far smarter person than me to understand

Wasn't some zelda dubstep remix comp one of bandcamp's top selling releases?

Selling covers is risky unless you're like a bar band. I doubt Nintendo would bat an eye, but who knows.