Hey gang,
I'm curious if any of you have purchased one of these carts and swapped the case for a standard, either a DMG classic style case, or a CGB case (roomier). I'm making a little board book project ROM for my son's birthday that I'd like flashed onto a cart so he can have a one-of-a-kind cart with something just for him! If these PROM cart PCBs (which I know will be perfect for the ROM I'm working on) can fit in another case, that'd be great. I myself wouldn't be bothered by a big exposed PCB, but I really don't want raw electronics exposed on this cart. Anyone have experience fitting one of these into a classic / color case? Any tips if so?

Thanks!

Yeah, they'll fit great inside either if you can relocate the battery.

I've fitted mine into 2 variations.
The first was a GBC clear case, which I had to dremmel / sand down the inside so much it about poked thorough the label.

The second one I used a broken Pokemon Crystal cart from ebay.
      I tried removing the battery in hopes of placing it higher, but I broke some other shit off and that was a no-go.
But it still functions properly, just lost it's ability to save, which is alright by me 'cause it's loaded up with all GB b/w games anyway and most of them don't save or use passwords. (I.E., megaman, bomberman, super mario land 1, adventure island, etc...)

My advice would be to discover a way to safely move the battery and just pick a nice looking replacement cart and fit the pcb in there.

It may take some time and work, but worth it I think.

http://imgur.com/a/Thqdh

Thanks for the in depth testimonial! Are you referring to the ems64 carts? To my understanding the PROM carts on kitsch are without save functions, and thusly without batteries. I suppose without batteries the largest component would be the socket and eprom itself.

Oh yeah, whoops!
I meant the ems 64 carts.
Sorry, confused them at the time.

PROM cart won't fit a standard case without some modification. I recall seeing a project (maybe even somewher on CMO) with custom carts in standard shells made by cutting the pins of the PROM short so that they didn't protrude past the other side of the PCB and thus had a lower profile overall.

Found it, homebrew game by Furrtek, see nitro2k01's post here: http://blog.gg8.se/wordpress/2014/05/14 … -download/

You *might* be able to do something similar using a PCB from kitsch-bent.

Last edited by Knife Crimes (Nov 17, 2014 6:09 am)