Chips & Dip :3

Hello!

I ordered a custom gameboy and on arrival it wasn't correctly booting my carts but it would once every 10 times. I had it sent back to be repaired. The only problem is that I got it back exactly how I sent it.

I can't afford to send it back and I REALLY need to get this fixed ASAP as I have delayed my album for MONTHS due to waiting for the gameboy to arrive, be repaired, etc...

Especially with MAGfest coming up I need this to be taken care of.

There is a slight smell of burning plastic/metal (happened with my last GB). I tried to fix it by loosening up the case but to no avail (fixed the previous GB). It still has the smell (I have removed the batteries as a safety measure).

The guy who tried to fix it said it was "a bad regulator board" or that the cart slot wasn't cleaned properly.

Please let me know how to fix this ASAP! I have a triwing screwdriver so opening the case up shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!
-Sam

Abandoned on Fire

Before you do anything else make sure the cart has clean pins.  That's usually the problem.

egr wrote:

Before you do anything else make sure the cart has clean pins.  That's usually the problem.

I'll try it, but I tried the cart in my working GB and there isn't a change. (I was using the cart about 15 minutes ago on my working GB)

Sweeeeeeden

Add a 27 or 33 ohm resistor in series with the backlight and see if that helps.

nitro2k01 wrote:

Add a 27 or 33 ohm resistor in series with the backlight and see if that helps.

I don't have any lying around so I'll order off ebay. Although I'll wait to see if there are any other answers before I buy.

Taichung, Taiwan

What mods are done to it?

I know that when I installed hex inverter chips on the back board of a DMG and did not properly mask off the chip, it would ground out and the gameboy wouldn't load carts.

Swapping the regulator board would be a quick fix for anyone that has had time with a soldering iron and a few extra wires laying around.

good luck.

katsumbhong wrote:

What mods are done to it?

I know that when I installed hex inverter chips on the back board of a DMG and did not properly mask off the chip, it would ground out and the gameboy wouldn't load carts.

Swapping the regulator board would be a quick fix for anyone that has had time with a soldering iron and a few extra wires laying around.

good luck.

3.5mm and RCA prosound with backlit buttons and screen.

When I had it repaired the guy said, "That actually sounds like a bad regulator board. It won't hurt anything but it's certainly not good." so I imagine that he might've replaced it but I'm not entirely sure...

Who did the work

12ianma wrote:

Who did the work

Thursday Customs

Taichung, Taiwan

Contact Justin again and let him know what's up.

Cleveland, OH

Hey guys.
We've been talking back an forth about it. I always add resistors to backlights because they're always too bright. That helped the regulator issue(I left the Game Boy running an LSDJ track for half an hour with no over heating). All of my carts worked with no issues before and after cleaning the cart slot again. It's a bit of a mystery on this one. I offered to have him send it back(I was just going to replace the DMG-CPU board and start fresh. He has already sent it over to someone else though.

thursdaycustoms wrote:

Hey guys.
We've been talking back an forth about it. I always add resistors to backlights because they're always too bright. That helped the regulator issue(I left the Game Boy running an LSDJ track for half an hour with no over heating). All of my carts worked with no issues before and after cleaning the cart slot again. It's a bit of a mystery on this one. I offered to have him send it back(I was just going to replace the DMG-CPU board and start fresh. He has already sent it over to someone else though.

I sent it off with the cart I'm not using so it'll narrow down whether it is the cart or not. But I did clean it and tried it in both GBs before sending it off. Still nothing.

Abandoned on Fire

Is the cart an ems 64m with no rom in page 2? I've had issues with certain dmgs not booting in that situation.

egr wrote:

Is the cart an ems 64m with no rom in page 2? I've had issues with certain dmgs not booting in that situation.

I have LSDJ on both pages, on both carts