UK

Thought I'd share a video. This was an audience which hadn't really heard this music before though enjoyed it

I played a short show at Homies Cosy Teahouse in Wellington, New Zealand. People brought strobe light along with xmas lights and danced all night! Looked decent on film.

Heres a snippet:- http://youtu.be/cpaGffSggG0

fuck yeah!
what were you paying on?

UK
JodyBigfoot wrote:

fuck yeah!
what were you paying on?

Two PA speakers, Can't remember what type.

sorry i mean equipment!
also are you a kiwi?

UK
JodyBigfoot wrote:

sorry i mean equipment!
also are you a kiwi?

A Roland MX-2 Mixer running two Gameboys with LSDJ and a MiniKaoss Pad for external effects.

I'm British, just travelling here. Are you from New Zealand?

Last edited by CS (Dec 19, 2014 1:50 am)

Australia

Good to hear you busting out the tunes mate :-)

Nah man im british and I plan to migrate to New Zealand, I love it there so much! hope you're having fun!

UK
cTrix wrote:

Good to hear you busting out the tunes mate :-)

Cheers man, hope to see you in Australia!

UK
JodyBigfoot wrote:

Nah man im british and I plan to migrate to New Zealand, I love it there so much! hope you're having fun!

Yeah it's really different culturally and temperature-wise in New Zealand to England. Going class thanks! In each place/city I've been so far I just turned up at open mic or organized events themselves and talked to the organizers that I made music on a Gameboy. Played 9 so far! One show was quite eventful when the organizer lost it at me at an open mic in Queenstown.

I told the organizer what I was intending to perform with beforehand. He said that was fine, so I set all my gear up and started to play. The crowd loved it!

Around a minute or two in the organizer asked if I was going to  sing, I told him nah I just needed it to introduce myself. He came right up to me and told me sternly ' This   is  NOT a Dance club, turn it off!'. He was a Maori and was quite big, dominant character of a fella too, I was scared shitless though since I was there by myself I had to stand my ground. I didn't know what to say so I just ignored him.

Soon afterwards I seen him pointing at me, flailing his arms around at staff in a really pissed off state. I have no idea what narked him. That said in New Zealand here most acts and performances  usually just feature a guitarist and reggae music so it's pretty different to of played electronic music!

Soon enough he came back to me as usual right in my face as I was performing. 'Turn , it down!' he said. By this time I'd usually cave in and given in to what anyone told me to do. I wanted to tell him to piss off though because I'm profoundly deaf, it's just hard to get my words out. Unless you're in this position I can only describe it as you freeze up and stutter your words out. Words just don't come out - and it depends on the situation of stress. In this case I was well out my comfort zone physically shaking with fear.

I thought couldn't just stop playing because the crowd there was dancing. It was an open  mic too for pete sake! I just ignored him  and continued playing .He did have a last go turning the master volume of the mixer down. I continued to play for a few more minutes before fading the music out. Afterwards an English group said I made their night playing there. 'Music in New Zealand is years behind' they said.

EDIT:- Grammar

Last edited by CS (Dec 28, 2014 9:59 pm)

New Zealand
CS wrote:

That said in New Zealand here most acts and performances  usually just feature a guitarist and reggae music so it's pretty different to of played electronic music!

What the fuck are talking about?

UK
8BIT KIDD wrote:
CS wrote:

That said in New Zealand here most acts and performances  usually just feature a guitarist and reggae music so it's pretty different to of played electronic music!

What the fuck are talking about?

Just saying to people who might've not have been to New Zealand and in relation to the story above that open mic's usually feature acoustic acts singing covers/reggae songs gets played along with drummers sometimes and other acts (Or what I've seen while I've been here).

That in contrast to electronic/tracker music coming straight from a Gameboy must've been quite different to what music usually gets played there. Or as a possible idea why the the organiser of that event might've been pissed off because it was something he hadn't heard before (joke)

Reggae/Ska's so popular here it feels like stepping back in time, and in a nice way too. It's really cool to see massive 2Tone Ska posters of bands touring such as the 'The Selecter', also some amazingly talented acts who played some killer reggae songs at such open mic events here.

EDIT:- Grammar

Last edited by CS (Dec 29, 2014 8:24 am)

New Zealand

Open mic nigHts are usually for singer songwriters hence the whole microphone thing, it ain't open decks...

aye and he isnt on the decks is he, he's on the gameboy and kaoss pad!

nice story bro, I'm currently researching what i need to train in to migrate their, at the minute im looking at electrical engineering or 3d animation

really glad you're having a good time! even fucked up experiences or dangerous ones are part of the joy of travel wink

UK
JodyBigfoot wrote:

aye and he isnt on the decks is he, he's on the gameboy and kaoss pad!

nice story bro, I'm currently researching what i need to train in to migrate their, at the minute im looking at electrical engineering or 3d animation

really glad you're having a good time! even fucked up experiences or dangerous ones are part of the joy of travel wink

Cool, have you heard of Animation College in Auckland? It's a college specifically made for animation which looks really promising:- http://www.animationcollege.co.nz/

Been keeping a blog of travel recently which I could PM you if you're interested.