Do these forums auto translate to whatever language the user uses? Really curious about that one.

Sweeeeeeden

You mean the user interface or the posts? Either way, the answer is no on both counts. But if you use Chrome, you can use the built-in function to translate pages on the fly.

Thanks, I'm well aware of Chrome's translation features . I only asked because I had a conversation with another member on these boards through PM that was nice and technical that went great. Having another conversation with the same member on Facebook however was difficult because of what I can only assume to be a language barrier. That's why I was asking, I guess I have the answer to my question, but I'm still puzzled as to why our conversation isn't going so smoothly on Facebook. Oh well.

That aside, I had that itching curiosity for quite some time on whether forums auto translate or not. Perhaps some do, maybe not. It was just one of those minor nagging things you wonder about randomly throughout the day, you know?

Seattle, WA
CountSymphoniC wrote:

Thanks, I'm well aware of Chrome's translation features . I only asked because I had a conversation with another member on these boards through PM that was nice and technical that went great. Having another conversation with the same member on Facebook however was difficult because of what I can only assume to be a language barrier. That's why I was asking, I guess I have the answer to my question, but I'm still puzzled as to why our conversation isn't going so smoothly on Facebook. Oh well.

That aside, I had that itching curiosity for quite some time on whether forums auto translate or not. Perhaps some do, maybe not. It was just one of those minor nagging things you wonder about randomly throughout the day, you know?

The problem might be that facebook does auto translate. Google's translation API isn't available for free anymore so most websites with built in translation features have switched to bing. It goes about as well as you can expect using bing goes.

Sweeeeeeden
Dire Hit wrote:

The problem might be that facebook does auto translate.

What? Facebook offers translation links everywhere, but I don't think I've seen, or heard anything about them doing it preemptively, without the user's knowledge.

I think most sites that are any smaller than Google or Facebook etc have chosen to not do any kind of auto translation. It's likely both costly to keep it running, and bad enough quality that it's not worth it.

I can think of two reasons why the conversation went smoother here though.
1) Since the PMs here are not expected to be a realtime conversation, you can take your time, which probably helps. On Facebook, you may feel compelled to answer as quickly as possible after the ding.
2) Maybe the conversation on Facebook was less technical like you said? Maybe the person has learnt some of the technical terms in English because he first saw those terms in English, or because they are similar to the English equivalent in his native language. On the other hand, just regular words needed for a regular conversation might be more difficult.

Brunswick, GA USA

Agreeing, most of the words used for music and synthesis are loanwords that are the same or similar across languages. If you can learn other fundamentals of the language in question it may become easier to communicate, as you see how sentence structures are handled in the auto translator, for example.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 9:31 pm)