UK

Has anyone had any experience using 'Blue Whale' Synth Editor for the Atari made for the Yamaha Pss 680?

Where I'm staying  at the moment there's a Yamaha Pss680. Though after using the Digital Synthersizer settings I found it come up with some very versatile and array of sounds.

I later read online later than you could change even more settings than the front panel itself with use of a computer program which can read/handle MIDI or an Atari:- http://www.atarimusic.net/featured-arti … ies-editor

Has anyone had experience with using this?

Thanks.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

EDIT: Wrong post.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Dec 29, 2014 3:20 am)

There is a windows editor I used to mess with if you want to forgo the atari.  It's called PSS Edit and you can get get it at the site I linked below.

http://members.chello.at/bobby100/Downloads.htm

UK
kid versus chemical wrote:

There is a windows editor I used to mess with if you want to forgo the atari.  It's called PSS Edit and you can get get it at the site I linked below.

http://members.chello.at/bobby100/Downloads.htm

Cool thanks. Just wondered if you did use an Atari to alter the settings could you technically call it Atari music since you used an Atari in the process?

Unfortunately I'm using a mac otherwise that could've worked unless there's something for mac?

What kind of sounds did you create? Was it able to alter the settings even more than on the front panel?

Read a lot of mixed reviews varying from good and bad about the keyboard. Just curious, what's your take on it?

West Yorks, UK

its awesome 2 op fm synthesizer IMO. its unusual in that you must start with the voice presets to set the synthesizer into various operator algorithms
before you hit the synth editing. If you dont know this, youre probably missing over half the power of the unit. Great for bells, fm basses and whatnot.

The pads on mine are not triggering anymore, which is a shame, I nver got to use the drum sequencing elements of the 680, but I can imagine its fairly cool. (not as fun as "sequencing" on a casio sk5 or 100 though)

Id love to get this AtariST PSS680 editor on the go.
any one got the ability to create Atari floppies easily and mail me one for some pennies? Pleeease big_smile

UK
Domu wrote:

its awesome 2 op fm synthesizer IMO. its unusual in that you must start with the voice presets to set the synthesizer into various operator algorithms
before you hit the synth editing. If you dont know this, youre probably missing over half the power of the unit. Great for bells, fm basses and whatnot.

The pads on mine are not triggering anymore, which is a shame, I nver got to use the drum sequencing elements of the 680, but I can imagine its fairly cool. (not as fun as "sequencing" on a casio sk5 or 100 though)

Id love to get this AtariST PSS680 editor on the go.
any one got the ability to create Atari floppies easily and mail me one for some pennies? Pleeease big_smile

Yeah definitely it can create some really nice sounds. If you turn the decay up and portamento on you can create some neat pops/squeaks and kick drum sounds too. Adjusting the Attack and frequencies too can create some really neat FM basses

Here's an example of some sounds  I found out:-

A phat Bass:-

(Reverb and or Stereo Chorus effects are nice in addition to this sound)

Percussion/Drums:-

(Portamento got be on so the notes slide between varying pitches)

Last edited by CS (Jan 2, 2015 10:46 pm)

West Yorks, UK

its been a long while sincee i used the 680, but il be grabbing it to try the editor so il definately try to get some of my old patches dug out, and give yours a try also.

Soooo... C S from UK, are you Cerebral Scars perchance? From up my neck of't woods? wink

West Yorks, UK

Atari users who want to make a quick buck; FLOPPIES PLZ big_smile

UK
Domu wrote:

its been a long while sincee i used the 680, but il be grabbing it to try the editor so il definately try to get some of my old patches dug out, and give yours a try also.

Soooo... C S from UK, are you Cerebral Scars perchance? From up my neck of't woods? wink

Cool. I've only got 4/5 more days here then I won't see that Pss680 for a while. I'll quickly post some more patches and a tinker before I go.

Yeah, not quite - I'm from Newcastle Upon Tyne - pretty sure that's a bit further up north than Yorkshire? tongue

UK

- double post / dial up internet *

Last edited by CS (Jan 3, 2015 7:23 am)

England

ive got the 580 and 470 in the same series. great simple fm synths with simple drum patterns as well. if it has midi you can probably do a load of stuff with it too.