WOW MAN!

I've finally sat down and had a play with LSDJ today and it seems that the samples in the drum kits are corrupted. I'm sure the first time I booted it up it was OK. Is this possible? I thought it was a problem with the Gameboy itself but the other (Pulse) channels seem to work fine.

I'm using a Smart Card 64M USB flash cart.

Thanks

Abandoned on Fire

Could you describe the problem a little?
Also, if you've just started and don't have any songs to lose, a clean install might be the best option.

WOW MAN!

Clean start is what I was thinking but I thought I'd ask a question first in case it was something else.

The problem? All the drum kits sound corrupted. smile

Milan, Italy

you have to use them in the WAV channel; not the PU1, PU2 or NOI.

PS: lol, Déjà vu..

Last edited by arottenbit (Jun 6, 2010 3:09 pm)

WOW MAN!
arottenbit wrote:

you have to use them in the WAV channel; not the PU1, PU2 or NOI.

PS: lol, Déjà vu..

Come on, at least give me *some* credit.  I was using the WAV channel smile

Oh jesus christ, how the fuck do you get the flash software working in XP? I downloaded it from Kitsch-Bent, went through the installation procedure and it said "Cannot install because the software is made for Windows 95" or something similar.

Now I can't get the auto-detect "Add New Hardware" dialogue back and the manual method for adding new hardware doesn't give you the same options.

God, I hate Windows so much. sad

WOW MAN!

Oh, I reinstalled it 3 times and on the third time it worked.

*sigh*

smile

WOW MAN!

Hmmmm. Do LSDJ samples just sound really poor? They seem to sound OK if I only have the WAV voice playing but at soon as any other channel is used they sound awful.

Abandoned on Fire

I meant describe the sound i guess. Like the 808 kick used to go
"bomptttzzzzz" and now it goes "plp"... not that it would help probably.  smile

Abandoned on Fire
neilbaldwin wrote:

Hmmmm. Do LSDJ samples just sound really poor? They seem to sound OK if I only have the WAV voice playing but at soon as any other channel is used they sound awful.

Yes.

WOW MAN!

Ah. I'll carry on by ignoring them then smile

Sweeeeeeden

Tip: Samples sound much better on DMG than on GBC or GBA.

San Francisco

Tip: Using lsdj wav channel for drums, if you couple each kick with a small noise burst, it will fill in some of the missing freq. and can sound a little full/clear. Also, adjust the time length for each sample to cut off some of that annoying fuzzz.

astral cat

personally, i never use the wav for drums because it sounds awful and fuzzy. use noise for drums.. it's very flexible for drum sounds, once you master the noise and wav you will be amazed at what you can get! smile

edit: not to mention that the wav channel is the absolute best channel on a gameboy and to waste it on drums is blasphemy! I wish i could trade my two pulses for another! tongue

Last edited by an-cat-max (Jun 6, 2010 6:08 pm)

WOW MAN!

I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

And people said NTRQ was complicated! wink

Ciudad de méxico, MX

Interesting problem. It happened to me once, the wav channel was doing weird sample playback when the other channels came along. I've asked here and there to finally see that the capacitors were leaking, affecting the sound quality. what i did is to change the old capacitors for new ones, specifically the ones behind the pcb, connected to the potentiometer (two of them).

I've just bypassed the potentiometer straight to the output from the positive leg of the  capacitors ( sound like an amplifying stage was missing, weird sounding) but the samples were working ok. So, replace them.

They won't last that long as the resistors.

Look at U1 ic, LOUT AND ROUT. they are connected to a 1 microfarad capacitors. that what i've replaced.

Credits for helping me with this are to kitsch. I'm out of total knowledge here, i just know a little actually.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited by Analog (Jun 6, 2010 8:21 pm)

Milan, Italy

i have an off topic question about those schematics..

the VCC at the "Game Cartridge Socket" gives stable 5V?