I don't really care if anybody reads this. I live with a non-technical family and they couldn't care less what I'm working on. Sadly, I'm not making any money ATM, but my heart is set on completing this project.

I'm the sole developer and ambition behind SNES Tracker.
http://snestracker.club

This software is being developed on Mac OSX, but is written with cross platform development libraries so that it can eventually be ported across Windows, OS X, Linux.

SNES Tracker is a 2-part piece of software:
SNES Tracker: for creating music
SNES Tracker Debugger [STD]:  for transcribing SPC, reverse engineering, debugging, and ripping.

The STD is actually the first piece I have tackled, and is nearing completion. It's really cool, as you can do a lot of neat things with it, like view and edit all memory, including DSP registers, in real time -- mute/solo any voice -- change tempo -- rip samples or instruments -- see a memory snapshot developed in real-time -- and actually play with the instruments and change their ADSR properties real-time. You can do this with any SPC/RSN file.

I haven't yet produced any public release yet tongue hehe, but the source code is on GitHub! It's open source!!

It sounds better than any other SPC player!! Why's that? Because I personally worked with Blargg, the creator of the Audio emulator that is in many Super Nintendo emulators, to create a smooth DSP feature, removing all crackles that are present in SNES music!! This is an optional feature and can be disabled to sound exactly like the Super Nintendo!! But, it enhances the listening experience of SPC, especially with headphones. Only an audiophile or producer would notice, but this is music production software after all!!! I use STD now just to listen to Snes SPC music : ) If you are curious, there is detailed post, sans communication with Blargg which took place over email -- at NesDev

You can Interface with a MIDI Keyboard ^_^

Imagine being able to real-time record playing a chord, twisting a knob on your MIDI keyboard that directly affects the amount of Noise on the SNES track!! Quantization!! Now that stuff is really beyond the small goals I have to accomplish first, but that's the dream!!

Cutting edge -- if you're reading this, you're [un]lucky enough to discover this software in "early baby fetus" stage. Yes!! meaning that it's very early in development!! I started December 2014. But if you submit your ideas or other contributions to the SNES Tracker Forums, I might read it and incorporate it into the first release!

But, like I said, I have no job, I'm not making any money at this... it's been a big dream of mine since I was 18 (I'm 25 now) -- and my childhood dream was to understand how SNES worked... So basically, I'm completing this project, with or without my sanity.

However, I will be Kickstarting this project *_* .. Please let me know if you would be willing to donate. I'm trying to get the word out that I'm working on this and build confidence that I can reach a goal of $10,000. If you are any way interested in supporting me, make yourself known to me! Thank you! I keep news at http://snestracker.club and I will undoubtedly be posting the kickstarter link there when it exists!

Oh gosh, kickstarter rewards?! HM, any ideas?

I'm probably going to make this the About page on the official website haha smile
Don't surprise yourself at the fact that I will be taking this news to every SNES-related place I can find!! And please take it upon yourself to share the burden of spreading the word!!! It's no burden at all ^_^

exciting! although I wish more videos existed for the tracker rather than the debugger >_<

Philadelphia

Holy fuck. Can't wait to see some more about this man!

Hudson, MA

Hoooooly shit.

I don't have much money, but I'd be glad to throw in what I can for a kickstarter.

Unsubscribe

" I'm trying to get the word out that I'm working on this and build confidence that I can reach a goal of $10,000"

Youll get lots of support but Id be surprised if you can get anywhere close to that amount of month from the tracker scene.. Good luck though!

Lots of great SNES dev to happen this year overall, definitely remembering cTrix's project of course too! - stoked!

an0va wrote:

exciting! although I wish more videos existed for the tracker rather than the debugger >_<

Heh, exactly -- this must make you one of the unlucky people to discover this so early! tongue I haven't even begun work on the tracker interface tongue heheh

herr_prof wrote:

" I'm trying to get the word out that I'm working on this and build confidence that I can reach a goal of $10,000"

Youll get lots of support but Id be surprised if you can get anywhere close to that amount of month from the tracker scene.. Good luck though!

This causes me to feel convinced I should get a job and hope that I still have time to work on this dream project of mine.. I actually just submitted an application to Harmonix let's see what happens with that :>

Do you think I should lower my goal to .. $5000 ? $1000 ?? Only problem is that it kind of defeats the purpose.. Hey WAIT. MidiNES raised over $10,000 .. Eh whatever happens happens......

Unsubscribe

Midines never had a kickstartet

Puerto Rico

Hey, you've got your own domain, you're a few steps ahead of the curve! I can't say whether or not the goal is really too high, because it depends on your project goals and to-do list. The thing with midiNES is that people really like their tangible, hardware stuff.

Either way, I'm very interested, and would compile it and play with it if I was working on OSX. I'd be willing to donate a modest amount to a kickstarter no matter what, but if you really woo us with those rewards I might put in more. You can do rare/nice samplepacks, physical documentation, get a designer to make some art for stickers/shirts, maybe an album of snes music made using your software as it currently is? Hell, I'd contribute a song towards that as soon as I can play with even the most early build of this tracker. As for other reward ideas, well, why not some pimped up SNES's+flashcart combos (You can play spc's on hardware, right?) at the highest reward tiers? They're not that hard to source and could really boost the hype. And, again, tangible stuff.

Software idea: Sample importing needs to be as simple as can be, like, drag and drop. Maybe even integrate a recording feature so they can be sent straight from line-in straight into the software, and then chopped up/reversed, etc.

Your project is great, and the way you're documenting the process on a blog and youtube is really nice. You really should enlist the help of at least one more person, for design, promotion, administration, and such purposes; getting crowdfunded is hard work! Having some funds to start with would probably be a good idea. Best of luck on this and your job hunt!

@Xurilk Thanks so much for your positive response. I'm very inspired to be successful now smile
Sadly, I don't know anybody to enlist, I'll have to let everyone know I'm searching.

herr_prof wrote:

Midines never had a kickstartet

It's Chip Maestro, actually, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ja … -cartridge
They pledged for $1,150 and wound up making $15,000. Everything is awesomeeee

Last edited by bazz (Feb 11, 2015 5:34 am)

the Netherlands

Wow this is truly amazing! I've always found it very annoying that whenever I play a melody on my midi keyboard, the tracker (milkytracker, famitracker) does not record it the way it is (ie it places all the notes directly after each other instead of also capturing the empty spaces), is this what you're thinking of too? Anyhow, whenever this comes to Kickstarter, I'll definitely be a backer! it sounds very promising so far!

Hang on, how are you recording it?  You have to have Record & Play buttons running in Milkytracker to have the track run, not just the Rec button  Otherwise how would it know where the rests are in the melody?

Chicago, IL

TAKE MY MONEY NOW!   (Seriously I'll donate a decent amount when you go love with kickstarter)

I'm sold. Where do I sign away my paycheck?

Unsubscribe

and it took people like 4 years to get their chip maestros. And it kinda sucked as a product. Id suggest you at least get a good alpha going before asking for money.