Montreal, Canada

Title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for a good, cheap place that will host about half a gigabyte of audio files (mp3) that I want to be able to stream from a Wordpress site. I figured I'd ask here since it's probably something a couple of you have experience with.

soundcloud, but you might not get a gb on a free account

Montreal, Canada

I thought about it, but doesn't soundcloud automatically puts your files in the rotation of music to discover? I know it sounds kind of counter intuitive but I don't want people to listen to my music dammit! tongue I mean, not directly on soundcloud, just through my website. I'm building this portfolio for my music that I want to showcase online, but all I really want is to have a nifty little media player on my site that plays stuff from a list. I don't want people to be able to download the files (at least not directly/easily) or have them put into some kind of 'radio' rotation. Dunno if I'm making any sense here?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Why not stream them directly via your website? There are plenty of great HTML5 music playback templates.

Abandoned on Fire

Bandcamp works just like you've described. They have embeddable players, you can prohibit downloading, no "radio play", and no limit to how much audio.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Why not just use one of many customizable HTML5 players and host it on your own website?

Montreal, Canada
jefftheworld wrote:

Why not just use one of many customizable HTML5 players and host it on your own website?

Wild guess here.. but I'm 90% sure you work in software development. Only a programmer would read half the available information before offering a solution that doesn't apply with a sentence that starts with "why not just..."

tongue

egr wrote:

Bandcamp works just like you've described. They have embeddable players, you can prohibit downloading, no "radio play", and no limit to how much audio.

Doesn't it put you into the rotation of bands to discover though? Or can you opt of of that? I'll go take a look, it might be the simplest solution of all.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
n00bstar wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Wild guess here.. but I'm 90% sure you work in software development. Only a programmer would read half the available information before offering a solution that doesn't apply with a sentence that starts with "why not just..."

tongue

egr wrote:

Doesn't it put you into the rotation of bands to discover though? Or can you opt of of that? I'll go take a look, it might be the simplest solution of all.

I read the entire post. You've got a wordpress website and need to playback audio. My solution seems to fulfill all your requirements. You can grab a free, easy-to-use plugin (I recommend an HTML5 player) that'll allow you to play back any number of audio files that you can host in the same manner as your wordpress site.

Perhaps you misunderstood my solution?

Last edited by jefftheworld (Feb 19, 2015 1:36 am)

Abandoned on Fire
n00bstar wrote:

Hmmm, I don't know if you can opt out of Discover or not. I've never paid it any attention. tongue

Montreal, Canada

I read the entire post. You've got a wordpress website and need to playback audio. My solution seems to fulfill all your requirements. You can grab a free, easy-to-use plugin (I recommend an HTML5 player) that'll allow you to play back any number of audio files that you can host in the same manner as your wordpress site.

But the Wordpress site is hosted by Wordpress (free account) and it doesn't host any audio filetypes. I could pay for premium then have unlimited hosting with nifty html player and all that, but I'm trying to be cheap because it's winter and my handjob-in-the-alley business is running a bit slow these days. That's why I was asking for hosting, and not specifically just an HTML player. I just need a place to dump files, but it has to allow streaming, something that a lot of hosts don't seem to offer for free sad

Abandoned on Fire

If you're a Google fanboy like me you could store your files on Google Drive and use an embedded player to stream them. I'm pretty sure if you set the permissions of the files to public or whatever that it would work fine.

Minneapolis, MN

http://distrokid.com/ $20 a year, and you can upload unlimited tracks on Spotify. (They will also be uploaded to itunes, and several other places) You should check them out!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
n00bstar wrote:

But the Wordpress site is hosted by Wordpress (free account) and it doesn't host any audio filetypes. I could pay for premium then have unlimited hosting with nifty html player and all that, but I'm trying to be cheap because it's winter and my handjob-in-the-alley business is running a bit slow these days. That's why I was asking for hosting, and not specifically just an HTML player. I just need a place to dump files, but it has to allow streaming, something that a lot of hosts don't seem to offer for free sad

I've think I've seen people use Dropbox for this type of thing as I believe it allows you to direct link to a resource. Google Drive won't do it natively but you can use a tool like this to generate direct links to pop into an HTML5 player: https://sites.google.com/site/gdocs2direct/

the Netherlands

I find Dropbox VERY user friendly and it has lots of space for free.

Popsicle Theory wrote:

I find Dropbox VERY user friendly and it has lots of space for free.

Milwaukee, WI
TEOMAWKI wrote:

http://distrokid.com/ $20 a year, and you can upload unlimited tracks on Spotify. (They will also be uploaded to itunes, and several other places) You should check them out!

Do not use Distrokid. They do not have an artist field at the song level and absolutely will not answer any questions when asked about it.

Shady.