Gosford, Australia

cmospiral.png

Montreal, Canada

CMO Witchhunt-Snowball Template #32:

693 comments on a thread. One (count it... one) of which is kind of negative, everybody rants about "the people on this site" and elevate themselves above one another.

(yes... fully aware of the irony here, no need to point it out smile )

Last edited by n00bstar (Mar 12, 2015 2:20 pm)

Unsubscribe

The problem is guys I read more than one source of chipscene news than cm.o.

Chips & Dip :3

Very repetitive. I really hate it.

herr_prof wrote:

If only there would be a place that would remain true to chip music until death

Brooklyn NY US

I have a feeling — and I haven't even heard the track so I'm speaking in general terms — that this kind of thing hits a nerve because it's an instance of a musical idiom being treated as worthy of examination only when person X with pedigree Y does it, and not otherwise. In cases where the material in question is perhaps less sophisticated than other music that might've been been a better example of the form, had it had the same benefit of an esteemed pedigree — well that only exacerbates the bad taste in peoples' mouths.

This is all a knowing oversimplification; I know Pitchfork has touched on chipmusic from time to time in the past. But it's hard to escape the sense that there's some lazy journalism at work when the form is presented so selectively. "Member of Known Quantity Band X wrote his EP on a Gameboy, Wow" is in some ways the new "Mario at a rave."

Or maybe it's just sour grapes! I don't know.

Unsubscribe
an0va wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

If only there would be a place that would remain true to chip music until death

There isnt, so deal with it.

Geneva, NY
Bit Shifter wrote:

I have a feeling — and I haven't even heard the track so I'm speaking in general terms — that this kind of thing hits a nerve because it's an instance of a musical idiom being treated as worthy of examination only when person X with pedigree Y does it, and not otherwise. In cases where the material in question is perhaps less sophisticated than other music that might've been been a better example of the form, had it had the same benefit of an esteemed pedigree — well that only exacerbates the bad taste in peoples' mouths.

This is all a knowing oversimplification; I know Pitchfork has touched on chipmusic from time to time in the past. But it's hard to escape the sense that there's some lazy journalism at work when the form is presented so selectively. "Member of Known Quantity Band X wrote his EP on a Gameboy, Wow" is in some ways the new "Mario at a rave."

Or maybe it's just sour grapes! I don't know.

As usual, Bit Shifter steps up and drops wisdom. I think you're onto something, mang. Personally, I get pissed every time some sucky n00b who may have spammed his/herself enough is asked to be on X compilation or play Y high-profile show or whatever and no one ever asks me, even though my stuff totally rules. So, every time that sucky n00b is famous and gets major press, the whole "scene" loses its shit. Except me, because I'm already too jaded to care.

IL, US

being jaded as fuck is the true bond between most piggy tracker users

Nottingham, UK
Victory Road wrote:

cmospiral.png

I gotchu.

I do think it's worth noting that cm.o isn't the only community reacting to this article in this way, though!

Abandoned on Fire

The wikipedia description of the band makes me think I should check them out and the lsdj connection is neat too.  Reading that the lsdj track is straight house is kind of a bummer tho when I see descriptions of them as sounding like "the sun came up and then went supernova" and them being called a "noise band".

I'mma find something of theirs that's streamable besides game boy house.

EDIT: oh i see that's its a solo album by one of the members, ok that make more sense

Last edited by egr (Mar 12, 2015 8:32 pm)

Gosford, Australia
an0va wrote:

I do think it's worth noting that cm.o isn't the only community reacting to this article in this way, though!

wait what way are we reacting again? not feeling any form of consensus at all right now haha tongue

Playboy Man-Baby
e.s.c. wrote:

Instantly felt happier the day I misplaced my psp-1001

Playboy Man-Baby
egr wrote:

EDIT: oh i see that's its a solo album by one of the members, ok that make more sense

Dubstep Side Project Syndrome, or DSPS

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Mar 12, 2015 9:54 pm)

lolusa
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

Instantly felt happier the day I misplaced my psp-1001

I think my hardware has become more jaded about the state of tru-chips than I have

dingoo wrote:

*turns self off*