Huddersfield, UK

Today I found an article on chipmusic on the BBC site. Nice to see Tristan get some publicity for his new release, and to hear the guy behind the documentary that 10k mentioned a few weeks back too. Expect the usual references to old video games and Pixelh8 mentioning 8bitcollective too, haha.

Overall it's not a bad article though, just lacks a lot of research into the past and like most other articles will probably give off the impression to outsiders that we spend a lot of our time trying to make our own musical homages to Zelda.

Link

astral cat

lol another one of these articles that are pretty much "pixelh8s views on chipmusic" tongue

Huddersfield, UK
an-cat-max wrote:

lol another one of these articles that are pretty much "pixelh8s views on chipmusic" tongue

yeah I guess so, a bit crap of them to ask him his views all the time because he's not as involved as others in the community so doesn't really have a great idea of what is going on right now. I'm not sure whether I expected anything drastically different from the BBC though tongue

uhajdafdfdfa

On the other hand he works outside of the scene and keeps a high profile, rather than just whining on forums all day every day! wink

The article is neither awful nor great, but it's more publicity which most people can agree is a good thing. smile

Nomad's Land
J&HT wrote:

Nice to see Tristan get some publicity for his new release

actually... no. i'm already quite annoyed by his power-promoting and to see his new release first thing when i head over to bbc is ... sad, to say the least. i think there are a lot of people out there who need (and deserve) promotion much more than him and his overpriced circuitry.
aside from that, i actually do like his works wink

ant1 wrote:

The article is neither awful nor great, but it's more publicity which most people can agree is a good thing.

i agree about the quality of the article, however i wonder if more publicity for the chiptune scene is really such a great thing atm.

Unsubscribe

Controlling your image is one thing but more the merrier.

Huddersfield, UK
ant1 wrote:

On the other hand he works outside of the scene and keeps a high profile, rather than just whining on forums all day every day! wink

Yes I guess so hahaha. Maybe I'm being too harsh as his comments are a small segment of the article but I think if he'd kept up to date with stuff (even without making comments on forums) he'd realise all the recent stuff that has happened and maybe not suggest 8bc? In my opinion a lot of the people that gave me helpful advice as a beginner are also here now, with a lot more substance to topics overall here too.

Anyway the publicity is of course good! Just the parts that the journalist wrote were pretty awful and belittling (nothing new from most journalists though eh? wink )

irrlichtproject wrote:
J&HT wrote:

Nice to see Tristan get some publicity for his new release

actually... no. i'm already quite annoyed by his power-promoting and to see his new release first thing when i head over to bbc is ... sad, to say the least. i think there are a lot of people out there who need (and deserve) promotion much more than him and his overpriced circuitry.
aside from that, i actually do like his works wink

Well, I'd heard about his new release via TCTD before I read this article. I'm not a big fan of his work but I think the reason why Tristan got a mention was it seems an interesting concept to people. I remember watching Reformat the Planet a few years back and finding it a pretty nice concept anyway. To the BBC it might have seemed like it would have been a less interesting article if they'd picked someone who just makes music on a Gameboy opposed to someone who dabbles in circuitry, idk smile

Last edited by J&HT (Jun 9, 2010 1:22 pm)

Hoxton, London UK

These articles always draw too strong a link between the video games and the music. I think journalists believe that chipmusicians are all trying to copy zelda or mario and fail to focus on the hardware itself, as an instrument and the various genres covered. I for one was around for the megadrive and stuff but could never afford one, so my music takes very little inspiration from childhood memories.

Chipmusic has forward momentum and isn't an echo of childhood glory-days. Who's with me?

New York City
an-cat-max wrote:

lol another one of these threads that are pretty much "everyone complaining about a certain press mention of chipmusic" tongue

fixed

Unsubscribe

Also Tristan never contacted me to promote his release, i posted it because it's cool and he is a cool dude. He is definitely not some kind of new media self promoting hack, he does the work and he pays his dues. I really resent any implication otherwise.

lolusa
herr_prof wrote:

He is definitely not some kind of new media self promoting hack, he does the work and he pays his dues. I really resent any implication otherwise.

Huddersfield, UK
herr_prof wrote:

Also Tristan never contacted me to promote his release, i posted it because it's cool and he is a cool dude. He is definitely not some kind of new media self promoting hack, he does the work and he pays his dues. I really resent any implication otherwise.

Reading back over what I wrote it sounds like I implied that, everything I wrote was in relation to the BBC article, not your website. Sorry!

Nomad's Land

herr_prof, i don't mind you posting it on your blog, of course it's a very interesting and cool project and therefore it actually needs to be on your blog.

what i mean is... forget it. just google "1 bit music" - isn't there something very wrong with the results? i mean he's spammed about every goddamn music-related platform on the web. if you want to find out anything about 1bit music that's not related to his work, you actually have to type "1bit music -tristan -perich". and i think "new media self promoting hack" is actually a pretty fitting term in this case.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Jun 9, 2010 5:04 pm)

Brooklyn NY US

irrlichtproject: I don't know you personally & you seem like a cool guy in general, but in this case you're really off the mark. Tristan maintains a website and a personal mailing list, but beyond that he does relatively little self-promotion. And frankly, when your project name adopts a term as obscure and specific as "one bit music," it's not going to take too long before your project surpasses the generic term in search results. Especially when the project's output is interesting to people and gets a little traction with those who write about music / technology / art online. Not sure why you're leaping to the conclusion that whatever online coverage his projects have gotten must be the undeserved results of self-promotion, but it's just not the case.

Unsubscribe

Tristan was also the first artist to ever play Pulsewave. Just saying.

http://pulsewavenyc.com/content/pulsewa … -bit-music

Nomad's Land

okok, i admit i was somewhat over the top in my jugdement, sorry for that. i still believe his 1bit projects are overrepresented though, i mean he's by far not the only one delving into this category, there are for example the excellent synth designs by noah vawter, the people who do speccy beeper music, pc speaker music, ... but none of this stuff shows up on the first 5 pages of google results. just saying wink

also i'm very concerned about commercialization tendencies within the chipmusic scene in general, cause i believe art should be available to everyone. let's not start another fight about this topic - of course there will always be artists who see the need to make some money out of their art, and that's ok. but there also need to be people like me who openly critisize these kind of things. so instead of more promotion for tristan's stuff i would have liked to see a bbc article about some "ordinary" gameboy kid, telling a message to people of "hey, that's not some fancy high-class thing, that's something i could try".

not trying to justify my rash words, just trying to explain my perspective on things.
oh and sorry for successfully derailing this thread.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Jun 9, 2010 9:22 pm)