Westfield, NJ

Hey everyone, I wrote this tutorial on my blog along with some images and a PSD file that can be used as a template, you can view the whole shebang here:
http://www.christianmontoya.com/2010/06 … camp-page/

Should be useful for anyone that's on Bandcamp... and if you are not on Bandcamp, you should be! It's FREE.

Hoxton, London UK

Excellent, thanks Decktonic... I bookmarked that for when the time arises. I do like bandcamp but I still think they should make it a little more obvious which are 'artist' pages, which are 'album' pages and so on.. Just my opinion!

Westfield, NJ
Shriker wrote:

Excellent, thanks Decktonic... I bookmarked that for when the time arises. I do like bandcamp but I still think they should make it a little more obvious which are 'artist' pages, which are 'album' pages and so on.. Just my opinion!

Yeah it's still just a catalog of releases, not much more. I spoke to them on the phone a couple weeks back and told them that I would like to see more "social" features and more customization... I'm sure they are working on that but I know they are a small team and everything takes work work work.

Hoxton, London UK

Ha, that's brilliant that you spoke to them. I think they just need to have a constant clickable header that directs to the artist root page, which has the albums all laid out, then once you've clicked on an album you see the album page which has a little sub header that reads 'artist name - album/ep name'
I have a similar gripe with muxtape... even though it's supposed to be uber simple

Milwaukee, WI

I think this would ruin what they have going for them, but that's just me. They even hint toward why more socializing features might be a bad idea in their blog. Use Bandcamp to sell, Soundcloud/Myspace to socialize.

I thought they already covered the image-map-as-label-banner in a recent post?

Milwaukee, WI
Shriker wrote:

Ha, that's brilliant that you spoke to them. I think they just need to have a constant clickable header that directs to the artist root page, which has the albums all laid out, then once you've clicked on an album you see the album page which has a little sub header that reads 'artist name - album/ep name'
I have a similar gripe with muxtape... even though it's supposed to be uber simple

They have that, or am I not completely understanding what you're saying:

http://radiograffiti.bandcamp.com/

))<>((
RG wrote:

I think this would ruin what they have going for them, but that's just me. They even hint toward why more socializing features might be a bad idea in their blog. Use Bandcamp to sell, Soundcloud/Myspace to socialize.

I agree with this.

/offtopic.

Thanks for the tut, I'mma have to do this with mine.

Westfield, NJ
Shriker wrote:

Ha, that's brilliant that you spoke to them. I think they just need to have a constant clickable header that directs to the artist root page, which has the albums all laid out, then once you've clicked on an album you see the album page which has a little sub header that reads 'artist name - album/ep name

OK that's really easy to do. Go to your Bandcamp page and click on "index." Read the message in yellow at the top, and then click the link at the end. You will now have an index page that shows all of your releases, instead of just showing the latest one. You can then modify how many rows & columns are there. Problem solved.

Westfield, NJ
RG wrote:

Yeah I didn't mean that they would copy existing features other websites offer (that would be a waste of time), I meant that they would make it easier to connect Bandcamp with those other websites. When I spoke to them, I was suggesting that I help them provide Facebook widgets throughout Bandcamp.

RG wrote:

I thought they already covered the image-map-as-label-banner in a recent post?

They covered the fact that it can be done. They did *not* explain how to do it, nor did they offer a PSD template for free download with icons that reference popular social sites. If you had read my tutorial, you would have seen the difference!

Hoxton, London UK

http://shriker.bandcamp.com/

thanks, i followed your tutorial!

PS i went a bit overboard and made like 11 links :S i had to create a lot of profiles too!

Last edited by Shriker (Jun 12, 2010 12:17 pm)

Westfield, NJ
Shriker wrote:

http://shriker.bandcamp.com/

thanks, i followed your tutorial!

PS i went a bit overboard and made like 11 links :S i had to create a lot of profiles too!

That's awesome! Your bandcamp looks really good now smile

Hoxton, London UK

cheers, I used insulation tape for the logo. oh and that image-map website is genius... next project will have to be a myspace page. Since they changed the media player everyone's layouts appear to be screwed up, so stealing a layout (as i usually do) is pretty pointless.

Grahamstown, South Africa

Thanks for the tutorial Decktonic smile

Olympia, WA

Start > Accessories > Paint

Westfield, NJ
naxat wrote:

Start > Accessories > Paint

Yeah if you even knew what this topic is about you'd realize that's not very funny.

Grahamstown, South Africa

Hey guys, anyone getting a "Template not found" error when trying to upload their bandcamp header?