Washington, PA

I'm about to embark on the first mod I've ever done on my own and put a frontlight in my prosounded GBC with Kitsch-Bent's kit.

I'm doing the basic non-LOCA version of the mod, because all I use it for is LSDJ, so as long as it's visible in low-light, I'll be fine.

However, I'm not sure what kind of resistor I should get to dim the frontlight so it's not completely washing out the screen. I noticed Kitsch recommended a 1k ohm trimpot so the resistance can be dialed in, but I was thinking maybe a 500 ohm resistor might do alright, since it's right in the middle of the road.

Anyone else find what the sweet spot number is?

matt's mind

the resistor really isn't needed, its entirely a matter of personal preference.  i'd suggest maybe getting it installed first so you can make sure it even needs to be changed, and then if you do change it the effect is what you want when it is installed.

a little cheap trimpot will save you some guessing time though, peoples preferences vary so much.  some people like the LEDs barely illuminated, others wide open.  the cost difference between a resistor and an inexpensive trimpot will be next to nothing

I find using a 1k trim potentiometer like Mr. Kitsch suggests on his site works fabulously (thanks man! :-).
If you can find your sweet spot for the brightness with it, you won't even have to find a place to cut a hole in the shell case for it.
(But now I'm thinking of drilling a small hole under the battery cover.)
Small ones are dirt cheap on ebay as well.

I'm using these right now.
Pack of 20 for about $3.50.
http://imgur.com/RbBtBBK,yv6tAyw,5lGCl4 … GB,wFy1PhI

I have a guide on how to install it but I'm having trouble with the site right now.
It's pretty easy though.

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Apr 12, 2015 11:13 pm)

Washington, PA

Is the red wire in your images coming from the frontlight? It looks really long!

Where did you pick up those trimpots?

Yes, it's from the front-light panel. I wrapped it around the cart slot bridge to shorten it a bit.
I got them from ebay.

Washington, PA

Okay, I think I found them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1K-Ohm-Single-T … 461b952d84

I was hoping to avoid modding the case, so I'll probably find the sweet spot and leave it there. Thanks!

Last edited by jmc1987 (Apr 12, 2015 11:33 pm)

Michigan

Those will work, yes. Just connect one wire to the middle pin and the second wire to either side-pin. The third pin can be left hanging, or clipped off.

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Apr 12, 2015 11:35 pm)

For about 30 cents more you can get 20 vice the 5 for the above link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301489856462?_t … EBIDX%3AIT

Sorry, I meant to post it originally but got cross-fukt doing some multi-tasking.
(updated the old link)

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Apr 12, 2015 11:53 pm)

Washington, PA

I'll probably stick with the 5 pack. I don't know what I'd do with 20 of them!

Does it matter what wire I use from the trimpot to the board? Can I just pull some speaker wire or something?

jmc1987 wrote:

I'll probably stick with the 5 pack. I don't know what I'd do with 20 of them!

Does it matter what wire I use from the trimpot to the board? Can I just pull some speaker wire or something?

Doesn't matter as long as it fits inside the shell.

Yeah, I didn't think I'd use the 20 either but they're great for other modding projects since they're so small and versatile.
I'm curious as to how it will work with the gb back-light kits and some other stuff.

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Apr 12, 2015 11:58 pm)

matt's mind

should i create an option with an included trimpot on the product page?  wouldn't be hard to do

kitsch wrote:

should i create an option with an included trimpot on the product page?  wouldn't be hard to do

That would be a nice option for the uninitiated buyers.
Maybe a better trim pot install guide to go with it as well.

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Apr 13, 2015 12:03 am)

Washington, PA
kitsch wrote:

Might as well... everyone likes a one-stop shop!

can i use a 1k ohm resistor instead of a potentiometer

Toronto, Canada
Volga99 wrote:

can i use a 1k ohm resistor instead of a potentiometer

I wouldn't see why not, I'd just personally recommend using potentiometer, that way you can adjust the brightness if needed