United States

I only have the android version of nanoloop. After hearing some tracks from little-scale, I'm starting to wonder if the gba version of nanoloop is more superior?

Melbourne

I prefer the GBA version. Of course, you don't have as many channels to play with (and they're a lot more limited in terms of sound and polyphony), but for live use, the pattern switching is better (e.g. you can mix patterns from different songs). Plus, using actual physical buttons to control it seems a bit more natural for some reason (to me at least).

Oh yeah, the chord/unison mode of the S channel pretty much kicks ass. Very awesome for funky chorusy basslines, especially when you start changing the filter/LFO/env parameters per step.

Seattle, WA

That's entirely an opinion thing. Neither is better.

United States
Dire Hit wrote:

Heh thought someone might say that. Chord mode sounds interesting.

Seattle, WA
IceWolf wrote:
Dire Hit wrote:

Heh thought someone might say that. Chord mode sounds interesting.

How important are samples to you? That's probably going to be the deciding factor, although IOS has more channels you only really get one instrument per channel whereas on GBA you basically edit each note on its own.

United States

Well so far I've only tried to use samples once, and so far only the addition of one sample. So far I haven't even used all the channels on any song, though I've only finished one song so far. I guess I'm just curious about the gba version since I heard some cooler music made on that big_smile

Seattle, WA

Since you already have the mobile version I'd suggest toying with that for a while. There's a demo ROM for nanoloop 2 I think, you could try that too.

littlescale could make anything sound more superior

United States
Dire Hit wrote:

Since you already have the mobile version I'd suggest toying with that for a while. There's a demo ROM for nanoloop 2 I think, you could try that too.

Oh ok. Yeah maybe I just need to learn the program more.

California

buy a nanoloop cart
way better than the mobile version

Chicago

Three years into mobile nanoloop and I'm still learning new techniques
There's more you can do with the gb version inside the program. If you want a traditional sound, stick to the original
Being extremely limited on the amount of patterns you can use in mobile requires a lot of creativity
The strength of mobile compaired to gb to me comes from sampling. There is a whole world to explore there that gb can't touch
Also sweet, sweet extratone

tl;dr GB if you want to make chip that people recognize, mobile if you want to explore with sampling with chip
I can send you some example files of .savs I've been working on
but, ultimately, make what sounds cool to you! Get the GBA cart if that's the sound you like!

Last edited by theghostservant (Apr 21, 2015 1:50 pm)

United States
theghostservant wrote:

Three years into mobile nanoloop and I'm still learning new techniques
There's more you can do with the gb version inside the program. If you want a traditional sound, stick to the original
Being extremely limited on the amount of patterns you can use in mobile requires a lot of creativity
The strength of mobile compaired to gb to me comes from sampling. There is a whole world to explore there that gb can't touch
Also sweet, sweet extratone

tl;dr GB if you want to make chip that people recognize, mobile if you want to explore with sampling with chip
I can send you some example files of .savs I've been working on
but, ultimately, make what sounds cool to you! Get the GBA cart if that's the sound you like!

Well so far I like mostly just using the default sounds on the android version, but it does feel pretty limited and minimal. Finished one song and uploaded it on the site smile

The Forest, WA

If anyone needs help learning gba or mobile nanoloop send me a pm , I got some mobile nanoloop modulation techniques for sqaure and fm sounds ;)

United States
GLOOMS wrote:

If anyone needs help learning gba or mobile nanoloop send me a pm , I got some mobile nanoloop modulation techniques for sqaure and fm sounds wink

Alright, you got one now big_smile