Okay so I am new to here. I have only ever used sequencers and on-screen synths on touch devices (SunVox, Pico, etc) and I have used things like FL a long time ago (before I had ever heard of Chiptune). I am now using windows based PC. Power is not a problem and can handle any program. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for windows based programs that are more FL like? And what is the best program for USB midi. Cheers.

Sweeeeeeden

Post broken out from the FAQ thread.

Tacoma, WA

If you want something like FL Studio that is more sample based, Ableton is pretty good. Plus it handles plugins and MIDI pretty well. If you want something more like Sunvox, Renoise is fantastic--I use it all the time. There is a lot of other stuff out there and much of it is personal preference, so try out lots of stuff before committing.

Philly

What's wrong with FL?

Last edited by RatShack (May 4, 2015 1:12 am)

Montreal, Canada

Chiptunes = Klystrack
Proper traditional DAW = Cubase
DAW geared towards electronic music = Ableton
DAW for people who can't afford Ableton or Cubase = FL
DAW for pictures = Photoshop
DAW for cats = Daaawww!
DAW for games = Steam
DAW by German band Trio = Da Da da
DAW for special events = TA-DAW!
DAW for agreeing in Russian = Da

Unsubscribe

http://www.reaper.fm/
Its "free"

Gosford, Australia

yea tbh if you know how to use FL well then keep using that. for usb midi any daw should be fine. unless you're talking about using other usb peripherals (e.g. game controllers) as MIDI instruments, in which case midijoy is a good start.

Brighton

Presonus Studio One > Cubase if you're not already invested into Cubase. (it's by ex-Cuabse/Nuendo devs.)
But if you know how to use FL why not stick with it? You can also load the whole of FL as a plugin in any other VST hosting DAW if you want to work with friends with more standard DAW tastes.

Finland
n00bstar wrote:

DAW for people who can't afford Ableton or Cubase = FL

Wow now I really feel like a dumbass that I bought Ableton and FL.

But seriously dude. Stick with FL if you know it.

Montreal, Canada

Why do you feel like a dumbass? They're both excellent tools and very different in their approach to digital audio.

Finland
n00bstar wrote:

Why do you feel like a dumbass? They're both excellent tools and very different in their approach to digital audio.

Mostly a joke, friend. smile Based on that "can't afford ableton" thing. ^^

Rhode Island

Just use what you know best. If you already know FL stick with it. I use FL and use a lot of midi devices with it and it works great.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
herr_prof wrote:

http://www.reaper.fm/
Its "free"

And the best.

If it's good enough for cTrix. It's good enough for anyone!

.FILTHadelphia
n00bstar wrote:

Chiptunes = Renoise
Proper traditional DAW = Renoise
DAW geared towards electronic music = Renoise
DAW for people who can't afford Ableton or Cubase = Renoise

"jokes"

FTFY

Seattle, WA

FL just turned 12 and it's beautiful

Chips & Dip :3

Ableton > Logic Pro > FL Studio