Hey all,

I'm wanting to create some music inspired by some N64 games, mostly to improve my craft as a videogame composer. I really want to have authentic sounds for this type of thing, especially from games like Banjo-Kazooie, and Majora's Mask.

And if all possible, I want to access the sounds via Logic Pro, so I am hoping for something DAW friendly. I know there is a program that basically loads in SNES games, and allows you to access all of the synths used in the game. I only know that because you guys helped me find the program (I wish I could remember the name of it, but I don't have my laptop on me right now). Hopefully you can help again! ^.^

Thanks for assistance guys, this community is awesome! big_smile

Buenos Aires, Argentina

I also really love the N64 sounds, but, from a technical point of view, they are only very well done sample packs.

You can grab some of them here: http://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMa … ck_part_3/

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You'll find a lot of these samples will be extremely simple and will require clever envelopes, loop points and sequencing to sound any good.

Unsubscribe

Just get into soundfonts.

Riverside, CA
herr_prof wrote:

Just get into soundfonts.

Pretty much this.
More info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_6 … oprocessor

Man, you guys are awesome! I've been up for over 24 hours straight due to my final exams, but I'm done now so I'll make a follow up post after some sleep! Thanks for the help so far! smile

Ok, about to download the sample packs Delek posted, this looks sweet. But I will need to create loop points and stuff to use them? That would be annoying...

As far as soundfonts go, I've heard of them, but they seem kind of confusing. Would I just be able to somehow load a file from an N64 game and get access to the sounds? That would be super cool if I could. What is the recommended soundfont program?

Thanks! big_smile

Los Angeles, CA

Sforzando Is a very good soundfont program, pretty much just drop one in and go in any DAW.

Ok, so I have Sforzando now, and I downloaded a Banjo-Kazooie soundfont. A lot of it sounds great, but there are a few things, the lower brass in particular, that sound totally off. It basically sounds like there was some sort of loop point that whoever made the soundfont tried to repair, but the result is a really choppy sounding file that sounds like it's looping several times per second. It's very choppy sounding in other words. Anyone know if there is a fix, to be honest the low brass is completely unusable in the state I currently have it in.

Aria apparently tried to convert the sound when I first loaded it in. Is that normal? Or could that have caused the issue? I can upload a sound sample if I need to.

Finally, is there a quicker way to scroll through the sounds? Right now the only way I have found is to click on the currently loaded sound and go to: Converted > sf2 > Banjosounds_sf2 > 000 > then pick the sound. The arrow keys next to the currently loaded sound's name don't appear to work.

Ok, so I have Sforzando now, and I downloaded a Banjo-Kazooie soundfont. A lot of it sounds great, but there are a few things, the lower brass in particular, that sound totally off. It basically sounds like there was some sort of loop point that whoever made the soundfont tried to repair, but the result is a really choppy sounding file that sounds like it's looping several times per second. It's very choppy sounding in other words. Anyone know if there is a fix, to be honest the low brass is completely unusable in the state I currently have it in.

Aria apparently tried to convert the sound when I first loaded it in. Is that normal? Or could that have caused the issue? I can upload a sound sample if I need to.

Finally, is there a quicker way to scroll through the sounds? Right now the only way I have found is to click on the currently loaded sound and go to: Converted > sf2 > Banjosounds_sf2 > 000 > then pick the sound. The arrow keys next to the currently loaded sound's name don't appear to work.

Unsubscribe

it should respond to program changes if you have a midi keyboard. Yea some soundfonts suck. You can try to fix the loop points using a program like vienna on windows.

I'd recommend downloading Synthfont. It comes with a soundfont-editing/creating tool called "Viena" (not Vienna).

I used it to create this: http://arc-demon.bandcamp.com/album/citadel-the-rain
For people who like videos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arc-Demon wrote:

I'd recommend downloading Synthfont. It comes with a soundfont-editing/creating tool called "Viena" (not Vienna).

I used it to create this: http://arc-demon.bandcamp.com/album/citadel-the-rain
For people who like videos

It's amazing how instantly recognizable those sounds are.

Unsubscribe
Arc-Demon wrote:

It comes with a soundfont-editing/creating tool called "Viena" (not Vienna).

Whoops.

herr_prof wrote:
Arc-Demon wrote:

It comes with a soundfont-editing/creating tool called "Viena" (not Vienna).

Whoops.

No mistake. "Vienna" is the soundfont editor by Creative. "Viena" is a soundfont editor made by... Kenneth Rundt? Honestly, bad way to name a program, but it's what I use.

By the way, it's been a decade since I've downloaded this program and I never checked for any updates! (Seriously, this program is that awesome.) And there's a version 2! (which apparently isn't free, but 1 is!) Why am I using so many exclamation points?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unsubscribe

My memory is a bit short since I jumped over to osx a few years ago, but if youre on osx, polyphone is good editor if you want o mess with loop points (or ripping soundfont samples or instruments)