I've got some of these coming in the mails, ordered after checking out the PDF datasheet (pretty well described).  The only data really missing from the datasheet is a decent circuit. Generally there's a good example or two that proves useful (princeton's pt2399 datasheet example is pretty much what every delay pedal and module uses), but in this case its not too helpful with external boxes for 'clock generation' etc
My goal is to create a standalone unit, hopefully without employing a LCD screen--but if so, it needs to be simple -something I can do via easy vector touch screen implementation.  Ideally, it'd be simpler-with some potentiometers and a resistance-determined frequency so I can use potetiometers, soft pot, or a resistor-based keyboard with a couple octaves (16 keys max).  IF I can get that done, I can adapt a version for modular synthesizers in whatever format (eurorack, etc) and do a desktop type box without the keyboard and with a MIDI or CV out.

I've been unable to find much online-just a few people who seem to have made a prototype of the black box midi type units either run from an emulator or people who have straight emulated on the PC or mac. There appears to have been an European maker called Saratronics who made a Kit and/or PCB at one point and i would LOVE-and I mean DEARLY love, to have the schematic or an example--but they appear to be out of business. There's a reference to its release on Matrixsynth, but none available anywhere (even ebay andother used sellers)-and their web site is down.

With so much out there on the Pokey, SN74xx-range, and things like Spritesmind YM project..youd think there'd be a lot, but I cannot find it.  Does anyone have any info?
Even a pic of one of the saratronics up close or without the components in would be really helpful.

thank you for your time even if not-I do appreciate it, sincerely

Sweeeeeeden

http://velesoft.speccy.cz/saa1099-cz.htm

There's a schematic from the SAM COUPE/ZX Spectrum here. Copy the analog part. You then need to add an external 8 MHz clock and control lines for the CPU interface. A0 controls which register is active. To write data, put it on the data lines and pull /WR and /CS low for whatever time the datasheet says.

Edit: or I guess you're looking for something more complete...

Last edited by nitro2k01 (May 23, 2015 1:44 pm)

No! THANK YOU VERY MUCH.  Just simplifying some difficult datasheet language into 'A0 controls which register is active' is AWESOME!  Like I said, any information...ANY..is appreciated.
There is simple SO little info available and once I get a couple of pages (maybe 15 resulting url's) into a seach, I begin getting nonsense like IRS form 1099 information, etc 
It's very hard to just go on the datasheet considering I do NOT have a spectrum or SAM available and dont have any experience with them. I did have a commodore back in the day but it was an Amiga.  My family couldnt afford a computer when those were first out and I was in college by the time they were completely obsolete.
Anyways, what im saying is I dont know or understand some of the references and one of the stumbling blocks I am running into is knowing what they are really so I can replicate them either with simple logic ICs or a micro.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it-truly.
Even if you never respond again, thank you for the first one-ill employ the information and really appreciate it

Any ideas or even guesses and speculation on how best to accomplish my goal based on your knowledge would also be greatly appreciated.

sam is very expensive.
but i heard the sim coupe emulator is very close to the original sound.
like.. 99percent.