I googled this and could not find a good answer. 

I am totally new to Famitracker and I want to use my Septavox synthesizer,   which has MIDI in & out jacks,  to input notes in the program.  I am actually new to using MIDI as well,  believe it or not...

My laptop has 2 USB ports,  do I just need a cable that goes from a male MIDI jack to male USB?

Thanks for the help.

Abandoned on Fire

Google "usb midi cable" and choose one that has drivers for your os.

Los Angeles, CA

Use something like this little guy.  Plug the midi IN side of it into the midi OUT of your synth, and then set up the midi device in famitracker.

Will that one work with Windows 8?

IL, US

it should have no issue, unless for some reason windows 8 hates all class compliant midi gear (very very doubtful that it wouldn't work)

Great thanks

Taichung, Taiwan
RJL wrote:

Will that one work with Windows 8?

This question is akin to asking will a USB flash drive work with Windows 8.

IL, US

oh, and that cheapo one linked above isn't too bad. i've bought the same one before and it does the job fine, just not super durable. first one bit the bullet aftera few years of use (can't complain for the price though, just may be worth ordering two since theyre so cheap anyway)

Milwaukee, WI

I don't think blue laptops work with MIDI. Should have purchased the white one.

So I bought a usb MIDI cable.  Per the instructions that came with it,  I plugged the in to the out and the out to the in ( of my Septavox) .  I plugged the usb end to my laptop.

In Famitracker I go to File,  Configuration,  MIDI tab,  i set the input to USB 2 and the output to none and then I click apply and OK.

I set up an instrument,  press Rec,  but no matter what I do I can't get the external keyboard to input notes... It does nothing.

any ideas?

Los Angeles, CA

Try testing it out in MIDI-OX?  Just to see if it's actually generating any midi events.

Seattle, WA

Since your keyboard is also a synthesizer it's possible it needs to be in a certain mode to output midi.