Utah

Does anyone know much about Arduinos and Moogs? I recently acquired a Slim Phatty and was attempting to control it via Arduinoboy yesterday but ran into some problem. When I used a midi-keyboard to control the synth, it worked fine, no issues, but when I switch over to the Arduinoboy, the Moog shows that it is receiving the midi notes but no sound is produced. I played with the various volumes in my setup, but to no avail. I've used the same arduinoboy setup previously with an iPod and the Animoog app without any issues. Any ideas?

Also, a related question, is it possible to have two gameboys synced while also each sending midi out? What setup would be required?

Thanks everyone.

Unsubscribe

Is the arduinoboy sending midi out on the same channel that the moog is set to receive?

You can't do midi out and gameboy clocking at the same time.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It sounds very much like it's just an issue of the wrong channel.

Utah

So, even if it is the wrong channel, the Moog will show an indication that it is receiving data but just won't play? Pardon my ignorance, I haven't done much with Arduino yet. I'll check this out when I get back from work today. Thanks for the info smile

Last edited by The Laohu (Jun 22, 2015 3:50 pm)

Utah
herr_prof wrote:

You can't do midi out and gameboy clocking at the same time.

I figured. I guess I was just hopeful.

Unsubscribe

one work around is if you have a midi device that does tap tempo, you have midiout lsdj send tap tempo ccs, and another cc to start and stop playback on a midi device that as a clock master that should keep a 2nd arduinoboy relative in sync as a slave.

Utah

Interesting. As a follow-up, is there documentation for the LSDJ midi out channels and how to manipulate them? I'm having trouble finding that information.

Unsubscribe

Its all here:
https://code.google.com/p/arduinoboy/

There isnt any docs on the maxpat editor you can use to change the channels, but its pretty self explanatory:

Utah

That is exactly what I need. Thanks for being so helpful!

Utah

New question, if anyone can help. I notice there are quite a few 'phantom' midi notes that pop up when I'm using the arduinoboy. Random unprogrammed notes, switching Glide one, etc. Is this because of the gameboy and the arduino boy or is this something inherent with midi sequencing? Is there a way to minimize this or do I just need to live with it?

Unsubscribe

you can increase the bit check delay and it should improve some, at least ti did on mine. If you do it too much, your notes will be too late however.

Utah

Thanks herr_prof. I had a feeling you'd be the one with the answer smile

Unsubscribe

Some people say the problem is the circuit doesnt have something or other on the arduinoboy output, so you can try connecting through a thru or merge box like I do, but I dont see the dropouts.

Utah

Yeah, I've been having a lot of fun with my arduino setup but getting everything to work properly has been a little frustrating. I have DMG > arduino > Slim Phatty > Animoog > Drum Machine via midi thru. The occasional random note is unwelcome but tolerable. The Slim Phatty suddenly changing settings and presets is a bit more of a hindrance.

Utah

Just to be clear, if I run the Midi out to a Thru box before sending it to the devices, it should help keep the signal clean?

Unsubscribe

I guess some arduinoboys are not up to midi spec, so running it though a thru makes the receiving device get a better electrical connection.