Chips & Dip :3

Hi!

Everything it seems goes wrong for me with chiptune ;-;

So out of nowhere, my GB reboots and LSDj pops up again. This time however, notes are all messed up and I can only move one space at a time with the cursor. It also seems to overload my gameboys, as both of the ones I have on me have gotten a burning plastic smell after using it and one has stopped working entirely.

Is this the battery or the cart going?

If it is the cart, I'll contact the seller because it's only like 1 1/2 months old and was barely used.

Thanks!
-Sam

Australia

I don't think a bad battery would cause a burning smell... If the cart was failing it is possible for the GB to run code it is not supposed to and corrupt your data. Is the smell coming from the cart or the gameboy? Is either getting hot?

BennVenn wrote:

I don't think a bad battery would cause a burning smell... If the cart was failing it is possible for the GB to run code it is not supposed to and corrupt your data. Is the smell coming from the cart or the gameboy? Is either getting hot?

The gameboy is producing the smell, and the cart got a tad hot.

Last edited by metatronaut (Jul 8, 2015 3:40 am)

Australia

EMS64? I wouldn't think the power supply in the GB could provide enough current to damage anything downstream from it which would suggest it is the source of the smell. Which part of the cart is getting hot if you can pinpoint it?

BennVenn wrote:

EMS64? I wouldn't think the power supply in the GB could provide enough current to damage anything downstream from it which would suggest it is the source of the smell. Which part of the cart is getting hot if you can pinpoint it?

around the center ish, I'm only going by memory at this point cuz it happened like 30 mins ago.

Australia

Any mods on the GB? Backlight?

very unusual problem. Sounds like something is up with the cart

BennVenn wrote:

Any mods on the GB? Backlight?

very unusual problem. Sounds like something is up with the cart

biverted backlight with prosound on both.

Australia

Maybe wait to see if anyone else has a similar setup to yours, could be that the mods plus flash cart are using more than the power supply can produce. Unless this has only just started happening?

BennVenn wrote:

Maybe wait to see if anyone else has a similar setup to yours, could be that the mods plus flash cart are using more than the power supply can produce. Unless this has only just started happening?

It just started happening yesterday. the GBs were working perfectly before.

Australia

Maybe time for a new cart

I doubt it was caused by the cartridge.. its more likely you've got a short circuit or something on the Gameboy itself. Hence the reason it rebooted. Do you normally run it on batteries or from a mains power source?

I've had my gameboy do the weird numbers thing before when someone turned my charger off at the mains with my gameboy still on. I fixed it by going to load a different song and making sure I didnt save it before loading the new one it seemed to revert back to its previous save state and fixed everything try that.

These things happen to people all the time, its old hardware.

France

You can try for instance to plug a game cartridge and see if the gameboy is still getting hot...

Last edited by garvalf (Jul 8, 2015 6:54 am)

Australia

Both game boys though, common point between the two is the cart...

BennVenn wrote:

Both game boys though, common point between the two is the cart...

I'll probably contact the seller about a possible refund.

Minneapolis, MN

Were you using the same set of AAs in both game boys?