I've been makin a few songs lately, and I want to know your guys' opinions! Thanks so much! ^_^

https://soundcloud.com/kea-305097452  <---------------check it here!

What are you making music in? I like the keanu of it but you are definitely trying to do a lot with a little. Steve the kitten definitely has more character to it and those little pitch bends are great and expressive. You're gonna have to write multiple parts to songs eventually though. With like other chord progressions and stuff :3 that was definitely me for a long time.

ecce homo wrote:

What are you making music in? I like the keanu of it but you are definitely trying to do a lot with a little. Steve the kitten definitely has more character to it and those little pitch bends are great and expressive. You're gonna have to write multiple parts to songs eventually though. With like other chord progressions and stuff :3 that was definitely me for a long time.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it mind! I am using FL studio ^_^

Hot Springs, Arkansas

Steve the Cat:

I thoroughly enjoyed this piece, however, I have some major criticisms of it. Firstly, I would like to talk about all the good things, because, after all, what's a critique without some positivity! The mix of EDM and Chiptune is nothing new, but I felt like you brought a new edge to it. It's definitely clear that you have a talent. I can't really explain it, but the best I can come up with is that the base chiptune seems to be unchanged, not converted to an EDM style, while the drums are, as well as the producing. The Instruments were pure, and I really enjoyed the drums. As I produce both EDM and Chiptune, I know that finding the right drums for a song is hard, but you nailed it! I really liked the trance bass line. Trance bass lines are basic, but always effective.

Now for my criticism. The number thing that I just have to address is the repetitiveness. I'm not talking about the drums, chords, and arps. Although there weren't very many variations, they were distributed well throughout the song. No, I'm referring to the monotonous bass line. Throughout the whole song, I was just dying for a change in the note progression of the bass, but it never happened. Sure, you changed the way the bass instrument played the notes, but in the end, it was playing the SAME NOTES. That's not real variation. In basic song structure, there is something called a bridge. If you just added a bridge to change it up a bit, then this song would have kicked so much more ass than it already did. If you don't know what a bridge is, go look it up, but from your songwriting abilities, it kind of seems like you at least know what a bridge is. Add one, and you're good. I really don't have much to say other than that.

If you don't want to change anything, this could be awesome background music. As I am writing this, I have it playing on loop, and It's so awesome; but if you want this to be a song that you can just listen to on it's own, definite changes need to made as stated above. I'll try and post a detailed critique of each of your songs as soon as I can. In the mean time, keep on writing music, spread the word of chiptune, and have a great day!

Justbeenwarpzoned wrote:

Steve the Cat:

I thoroughly enjoyed this piece, however, I have some major criticisms of it. Firstly, I would like to talk about all the good things, because, after all, what's a critique without some positivity! The mix of EDM and Chiptune is nothing new, but I felt like you brought a new edge to it. It's definitely clear that you have a talent. I can't really explain it, but the best I can come up with is that the base chiptune seems to be unchanged, not converted to an EDM style, while the drums are, as well as the producing. The Instruments were pure, and I really enjoyed the drums. As I produce both EDM and Chiptune, I know that finding the right drums for a song is hard, but you nailed it! I really liked the trance bass line. Trance bass lines are basic, but always effective.

Now for my criticism. The number thing that I just have to address is the repetitiveness. I'm not talking about the drums, chords, and arps. Although there weren't very many variations, they were distributed well throughout the song. No, I'm referring to the monotonous bass line. Throughout the whole song, I was just dying for a change in the note progression of the bass, but it never happened. Sure, you changed the way the bass instrument played the notes, but in the end, it was playing the SAME NOTES. That's not real variation. In basic song structure, there is something called a bridge. If you just added a bridge to change it up a bit, then this song would have kicked so much more ass than it already did. If you don't know what a bridge is, go look it up, but from your songwriting abilities, it kind of seems like you at least know what a bridge is. Add one, and you're good. I really don't have much to say other than that.

If you don't want to change anything, this could be awesome background music. As I am writing this, I have it playing on loop, and It's so awesome; but if you want this to be a song that you can just listen to on it's own, definite changes need to made as stated above. I'll try and post a detailed critique of each of your songs as soon as I can. In the mean time, keep on writing music, spread the word of chiptune, and have a great day!

Thank you so much for the feedback! I've gotten the same thing about the bassline a lot haha Ill work on it! Glad you enjoyed it for the most part, and I cant wait to hear your opinions on the rest of my tracks! Expect a redone version of steve the cat soon hehehe

Hot Springs, Arkansas

By the way, I didn't want to sound pretentious when talking about the bass line because, trust me, I've been guilty of the same thing so many times before.

Justbeenwarpzoned wrote:

By the way, I didn't want to sound pretentious when talking about the bass line because, trust me, I've been guilty of the same thing so many times before.

don't worry about it man! Its a fair suggestion smile