the credit for this idea has to go to Nitro2k01, his genius idea helped me test program my usb gameboy camera before i had fitted the USB part. i don't have a programmer so this was the idea.

basically i added a switch to my usb cart so that it would disconnect the CE pins from the MBC5 and the flash chip, then using an adapter it can be used to program carts and read/write saves etc, then flicking the switch turns it back into a cartridge smile

i wanted the switch to be strong so i used the programming holes in the usb board, i had to cut the traces first

i really wanted to use black wire but i had none left so i used purple to match the LEDs

the case all together, another crappy hole cut by me

this is the adapter, its just a back to back cartridge socket

here it is reading the save from my gameboy camera

so you solder wires to these pins an connect them to a switch? or am i missing something? sorry for the stupid question but i'm not all that well versed when it comes to this stuff smile great idea btw

California

dude this is pretty sick. amazing work.

Milwaukee, WI

I wonder if this could be done with the EMS64 carts.

BK

This is excellent. If I ever get up the nerve to mod one of my usb carts, i'll definitely give this a try. Would you be willing to post instructions/a more detailed description of what pins to solder to?

Sandy Eggo, CA

This is crazy. My respect to Nitro for the idea and you for execution. I second the interest in using an EMS 64 for this.

Brooklyn, NY

Woah! Very clever!

it works by lifting the "enable" pins of the rom and MBC5 chips from the board, by lifting them they can then be tied to either ground of 5v+ which switches them on and off. by disabling the rom chip and the MBC5 which in turn disables the ram chip, the signals from the programming circuit are passed on to the next cart. if you left the chips enabled, both carts would be programmed or crash. as for doing it on an EMS, it depends on what chips they use, and it depends on how big the pins are and if they can actually be lifted.

Sweeeeeeden

My preliminary analysis indicates that this is not possible with the EMS carts. The USB chip doesn't seem to use the cartridge slot to access the memory, but has its way of accessing the chip through the logic chip.

nitro2k01 wrote:

My preliminary analysis indicates that this is not possible with the EMS carts. The USB chip doesn't seem to use the cartridge slot to access the memory, but has its way of accessing the chip through the logic chip.

thats a shame, because the bleepbloop carts are so full of evil