I'm looking to expand my set up a bit with some new equipment (currently just GBs).. I was wondering what you guys use alongside your chip kit?

I'm looking for anything, synths / sequencers / drum machines / effects / pedals! Let me know what might be good to have / mess around with!

J3WEL xo

Madison, WI

-https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po
-Donner Yellow Fall (Analog delay, small form factor, $40)

Delays and reverbs tend to add a lot to chip.  I like to use panning to set up an effect/clean channel.  Things I want to have FX i'll send right, clean I'll send left, for a little wet/dry mix I'll keep it on L+R.  I hardly ever use panning as a means of beefing up the mix nowadays, as it tends to add noise to the mix, which is tedious to get out and very noticeable when working with clean, crisp pulsewaves and such.

Distortion pedals can be used to good effect but are harder to make use of than the aforementioned, I think.  I only got one good mix using a modded distortion pedal a few years back.  Distortion gets really apparent at 2:20.

Last edited by nonfinite (Nov 11, 2015 3:01 pm)

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
nonfinite wrote:

-https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po
-Donner Yellow Fall (Analog delay, small form factor, $40)

Delays and reverbs tend to add a lot to chip.  I like to use panning to set up an effect/clean channel.  Things I want to have FX i'll send right, clean I'll send left, for a little wet/dry mix I'll keep it on L+R.

Distortion pedals can be used to good effect but are harder to make use of than the aforementioned, I think.  I only got one good mix using a modded distortion pedal a few years back.  Distortion gets really apparent at 2:20.

This is very close to what I was going to suggest.  I use reverb and delay on every song I make.  Also, distortion is cool, but super hard to make sound good with my setup.  If you have any noise apparent in your setup distortion will intensify this.

If you are looking for other instruments, then I'd highly suggest a C64 with Cynthcart.  It is super easy to learn and you can use it easily without a monitor, so it is fairly compact.  Look here for more info: http://www.qotile.net/cynthcart.html

Use whatever makes what happy and add something unique to your sound. Be it drums or ukulele.
Just go to your local thriftstore and use the first thing that they have for sale big_smile

france

Sync module, fx, it bring a lot.
For me, what is really important today is to only focus on easy and simple setup.

Joliette, QC, Canada

One word...Kaosspad !!!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The Korg Volca line is all really great, inexpensive and can sync in a variety of ways with both LSDJ and Nanoloop.

Seattle, WA

Get a field recorder. Then you can use the sounds of any object you can find.

i don't have any specific suggestions but i wanna say

IMHVO i think novel interfaces are a lot more value for money than novel sounds... new sounds will change the way your music sounds, but a new interface will change your music, the way you make your music, maybe even you

for the same price you'd get more out of a weird new kind of sequencer than you would out of a guitar pedal, i reckon. unless you have a specific vision for what sounds you want, in which case go for it

my £0.0131

SLC

Equipment doesn't matter, the music in your head is what matters. Remember that. (What Timbob said)

Last edited by VCR5 (Nov 12, 2015 11:35 pm)

Melbourne
VCR5 wrote:

Equipment doesn't matter, the music in your head is what matters. Remember that. (What Timbob said)

I used to say that until I acquired some awesome synths

Of course I could go and make all of my stuff in Renoise using hand drawn waveforms and make perfectly solid music, but maaan, physical gear is so much fun, especially Elektron stuff.

SLC
pselodux wrote:
VCR5 wrote:

I used to say that until I acquired some awesome synths

Of course I could go and make all of my stuff in Renoise using hand drawn waveforms and make perfectly solid music, but maaan, physical gear is so much fun, especially Elektron stuff.

hmmmmm...yeah, and I gotta admit the ER-1 has been a real workhorse too. A rack gives you alot more control. Steadert...I have a doubt!

Last edited by VCR5 (Nov 13, 2015 1:23 am)

Unsubscribe

Line6 m5 works great with a gameboy.