Planet Zaxxon

Hello, my name is Carl and I love synthesizers. More specifically, multitimbral synths. For those who aren't familiar with what "multitimbral" means, it's a really sweet feature. To put it simply, you can compose full songs with just one synth. For example, take the Yamaha FB-01, which is probalby the most inexpensive and coolest multitimbral synth there is. The FB-01 can playback 8-voices, meaning you can play 8 notes at the same time. However, since it has multitimbral capability, you can assign different midi channels to each voice and control them independently. The easiest and most straight forward setup would be to assign one voice to midi channels 1 through 8. So, essentially you have 8 independent monophonic synths in one rack unit. How I set it up is for channel 1 to allow for 2 voices, channel 2 to allow for 2 voices, and then channel 3 to allow for 4 voices. This  gives the option for a bass line (with extra voice for layering), a lead line (with extra voice for layering), and a chord sequence to all be going on at the same time and independent of each other.

Or an even simpler example, MIDINES is a 5 part multimbral (5 voice) synth (2 pulse channels, 1 triangle, 1 Noise, 1 sample channel).

I think its pretty sweet that you can have just one synth unit, hook up a midi cable and write a full song on it. And then just record the stereo out, without having to multitrack each part. I wish all synths could do that! Also, it makes it nice for live use if planning to use the actual synth. You would just need a midi sequencer to playback the midi file and the one synth unit. smile A pretty nice live solution when wanting to use actual hardware.

So I figured to compile a list of synths that have this feature because I have always had interest in them, and its very useful to know if the keyboards have multitimbral capabilities. Maybe some of you can use this a quick reference guide. And feel free to post about ones I have not yet mentioned, and I will add it to the list! smile

Feel free to post any questions you may have if you want to enter the wonderful world of multitimbral synths!!

List of Multitimbral Synths:

Ensoniq ESQ1/ESQ-M/SQ-80
-8 voice, 8 parts
-one of my favs! smile

Ensoniq VFX/SD-1
-21 voice, 12 parts

Ensoniq TS-10/TS-12
-32 voice. 12 parts

Yamaha PSS-680 *under $100!*
-portasound keyboard, sb16 sound chip!
-16 voice I  believe, 16 parts

Yamaha FB-01 *under $100!*
-8 voice, 8 parts

Yamaha TX802
-16 voice,  8 parts
-upgraded DX7ii in a rack unit! super sweet!

-Yamaha QY70/QY100 *$100 or less!*
-portable GM unit !!
-32 voice, 16 parts

-Yamaha YS200/B200
-8 voice, 8 parts

-Yamaha FS1R
-32 voice, 4 parts

Roland MT-32 *under $100!*
-8 voice, 9 parts

Roland JV-1010
-64 voice, 1/2 space rack
-16 part multimbral

Roland JV-2080
-64 voice, 16 part

Roland U-220
-30 voice, 6 part

Roland XV-5080
-128 voices, 16 part

Roland PMA-5
-handheld with stylus!
-28 voice, 16 part

Casio VZ-1/VZ-10
-16 voice, 8 parts

Casio CZ-1
-8 voice, 8 parts

Alesis Micron
-8 voice, 8 parts

Alesis Ion
-8 voice, 4 parts

MIDINES cart
-NES required
-5 voice, 5 parts

Last edited by Warez Waldo (Dec 18, 2015 4:24 pm)

Unsubscribe

Most romplers and workstations have this feature. All the gm synths do too.

Casio VZ synths can do this
http://www.vintagesynth.com/casio/vz1.php

As can the cz-1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_CZ_synthesizers

Sequential Six-trak might be the first that can:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/stk.php

And most virtual analogs can:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/virusa.php

Planet Zaxxon

Oh ok cool! And I assume the CZ-1 is 8 part multimbral then, since it has the onboard 8 track sequencer??

England

Yamaha PSS-580 as well?

Buenos Aires, Argentina

All FM synths by YAMAHA are multi-timbral. My YS200 is awesome, FL Studio + MIDI + YS200 =

Last edited by Delek (Dec 17, 2015 6:48 pm)

Unsubscribe
Warez Waldo wrote:

Oh ok cool! And I assume the CZ-1 is 8 part multimbral then, since it has the onboard 8 track sequencer??

I think thats the idea, but ive never seen one in person.

Planet Zaxxon

Does the PSS-580 have a midi in? I have a 560 and there is no midi on it.

Jellica wrote:

Yamaha PSS-580 as well?

Planet Zaxxon

Really? I could never get it to work correctly on the tx81z or ys200/b200. Hmmmmm. I sold the tx81z, but still own a y200 and b200. I'll have to try that out again!

I couldnt get multitimbral to function on the Korg DS-8 either even though its supposed to be able to do it.

Delek wrote:

All FM synths by YAMAHA are multi-timbral. My YS200 is awesome, FL Studio + MIDI + YS200 =

Last edited by Warez Waldo (Dec 17, 2015 8:24 pm)

Earth

This is a bit different, but my app SquareSynth also works this way. You can have 4 instrument/channels, each with 5 voices, in iPhone. iPad has 8 instruments. Supports midi hardware input too.

https://jnapps.wordpress.com/square/

Melbourne

I have a QY70 and it's great. The onboard filters and effects are surprisingly good, especially the reverb.

I'm considering getting a PMA-5 as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3lfe27MO3A

I don't use the sequencer on the QY70 (it's dedicated to a band I'm in where it's basically used just as a sound module for the keyboard player) but I think the PMA-5's sequencer looks slightly easier to use, especially with the touch screen.. plus it has that awesome Roland power drum kit!

Unsubscribe

one thing to remember is that touch screens have come A LONG WAY in 30 years big_smile

Melbourne

True. I'm not expecting multi-touch expressiveness or anything; I had a Motorola A925 about 10 years ago so I know what I'm getting into big_smile

nashville,tn
pselodux wrote:

I have a QY70 and it's great. The onboard filters and effects are surprisingly good, especially the reverb.

I'm considering getting a PMA-5 as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3lfe27MO3A

I don't use the sequencer on the QY70 (it's dedicated to a band I'm in where it's basically used just as a sound module for the keyboard player) but I think the PMA-5's sequencer looks slightly easier to use, especially with the touch screen.. plus it has that awesome Roland power drum kit!

I second the awesoness of the qy70. I've been using mine for a few years as a sound module. The drums are surprisingly good. the memory is too small to do much more than 1/2 hour worth of material  before filling up the unit and bulk dumps or inputs are really difficult to do. however, some of the preset phrases are useful for inspiration  if you warp them.

NC in the US of America

Pretty cool to see y'all in action composing on the fly with these things big_smile

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Dec 18, 2015 2:11 am)

Planet Zaxxon

Yes the QY70 rules, and I just use QY data filer for transferring, seems to be easy and painless.

me:

Last edited by Warez Waldo (Dec 18, 2015 3:29 am)

Melbourne

If only there were a way to replace the QY70's OS with a different one, perhaps a tracker interface big_smile