PDX

Edit: returned to its original form

So you're walking on stage in a smoke-filled rat-hole. A bunch of people are staring at you, bored shitless and rather drunk. They couldn't get White Stripes tickets so they're stuck here with you. Nickelback is playing on a jukebox in the distance. TV Death Squad and Laromlab just finished their sets, and 14 beautiful girls are fighting to touch Marty's keytar.

You plug in your shit and someone shouts, "PLAY MARIO!!!" and another, "Castlevania, no, do Zelda!"

You realize that you are little more than a novelty at this point. Do you:

a) play your "awesome polyrhythmic experimental artsy shit" and ignore the grumbling crowd?
b) play generic DMG early-90s trance shit hoping the club will sell some drinks and someone will get laid (not you, you have to pack up)?
c) play a can't-lose cover of a popular song (Weezer? Modest Mouse? Joy Division?)?
d) play a cover or medley of video game songs (canned hip-hop beat over Sonic the Hedgehog?) and scream "Give it up for the ladies!"
e) Other?

POINT IS, do any of you guys play cover songs at live shows? Is it uncool?

Last edited by RushCoil (Jun 24, 2010 11:24 pm)

San Antonio, Texas

text based game developed by RushCoil?

PDX
Star Fighter Dreams wrote:

text based game developed by RushCoil?

There are exits N,S,E,W but they are blocked by fans.

Your only hope is to play something rad and gain the true love of Girljoy.

Washington DC

I haven't played any covers, by virtue that I don't have any to play. If I did though, it wouldn't be to please the crowd, it would be because I think it's amusing/fits the tone of the night or whatever.

AANABAY01

if you have awesome polyrhythmic experimental artsy shit but choose to play a crowd-pleaser over it then your gig is gettin zero outta five stars

Melbourne

Please develop this text based game more Rushcoil. You're on to a winner.

PDX
FuturNari wrote:

Please develop this text based game more Rushcoil. You're on to a winner.

Edit: lol nevermind, found the original post - thank you, cache.

Last edited by RushCoil (Jun 24, 2010 11:23 pm)

philly

What if you do covers that aren't obvious/ easy crowd pleasers?
Like Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure from the Atari Lynx... or Zombie Nation. lol

I've done lots of covers with various projects, but never meant for recognition to be a primary factor in its fun.
Chromelodeon did a bunch of video game covers, although the name Sprite Slowdown was eventually adopted for that to sort of distinguish it and not 'take away' from originals, even though content from both would be played at some shows. I think on our last tour, we had a Red Max and Doom cover amongst the rest.

Cheap Dinosaurs, not counting the Goblin covers, has also snuck a Chinese pop song into a couple sets. And some classical music. *shrugs* smile I'm not worried about the coolness, it seems to work just fine.

Last edited by bucky (Jun 24, 2010 11:42 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

I play a cover of a song by Jellydog called "Some Day" at almost every show I do. But I guess that's pretty obscure.

I've done video game covers in the past but never played them live. I've thought of doing some but it wouldn't be Mario or Tetris or Mega Man, more like Adventures in the Magic Kingdom or something.

philly
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

if you have awesome polyrhythmic experimental artsy shit but choose to play a crowd-pleaser over it then your gig is gettin zero outta five stars

+1