Lake Titicaca

Since nanoloop for gameboy advance does not have true BPM (framerate based speed instead) I thought it would be better to use my android phone but the android version of nanoloop is kinda weak compared to the cart based versions. for example, only 8 patterns per channel is one of the major drawbacks.

Wouldnt it be nice to have basically a clone of the GBA version for android/ios?...with all the same features as the GBA version? or maybe it could even have all the feautures of both the GB and GBA versions?...all the BPM, recording sound quality and midi sync problems would be gone. It would be simple to render and use the samples in other software (sunvox, renoise etc)

I had been waiting for an update to nanoloop ios/android but it looks like its not gonna happen...or will it?

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Jan 12, 2016 5:48 pm)

United States

That would be cool!

Chicago

EDIT: "chipmusic.org is toxic. Only good for lurking but any interactions leads to elitists ganging up on you and being assholes."
I just read that else where on the internet. I totally don't want to come off as someone who 'knows better' and is a poophead about it. My intent is conversation, not instruction.

I can see why you'd feel it would be nice for a gba clone on mobile.
But, as someone who's actively used nanoloop mobile at least once a week for fiveish years as my main way of producing music, I don't want the all the same features as the gba version.

(I've never talked directly to the creator, Oliver, but,) the draw back of 16 patterns/ 4 instruments-per-channel is likely intentional, and assuredly not as constricting as it appears on the surface.
I've heard people say, "Restriction breeds creativity." Every now and then, I consider learning other chip formats, but I keep finding new techniques and ideas to try inside nanoloop mobile.

I encourage exploration into the mobile version more, if you feel there needs to be more added to what's already there.
If you'd like, I would be more than happy to share saves with you for examples of thinking about the app's limitations differently.

I can't speak as much about the gba side of your op

Last edited by theghostservant (Jan 12, 2016 6:38 pm)

UK

i actually prefer the ios version to the gba version. i just dont seem to get as much done with the gba.
being able to use samples is cool too.

Oregon

I use the mobile version when I'm chilling somewhere waiting for someone, or standing in line, etc. Works pretty damn good for that lol. Every time I'm at home with my other gear I exclusively use my DMG, since I don't really know how to sync the mobile version with the rest of my gear. I've only messed with the sampling ability a little bit. Seems like there's been quite a bit of Nanoloop discussion on the board lately!

UK

i have 2 tracks on my profile i made with the ios version btw smile

United States
theghostservant wrote:

EDIT: "chipmusic.org is toxic. Only good for lurking but any interactions leads to elitists ganging up on you and being assholes."
I just read that else where on the internet. I totally don't want to come off as someone who 'knows better' and is a poophead about it. My intent is conversation, not instruction.

I can see why you'd feel it would be nice for a gba clone on mobile.
But, as someone who's actively used nanoloop mobile at least once a week for fiveish years as my main way of producing music, I don't want the all the same features as the gba version.

(I've never talked directly to the creator, Oliver, but,) the draw back of 16 patterns/ 4 instruments-per-channel is likely intentional, and assuredly not as constricting as it appears on the surface.
I've heard people say, "Restriction breeds creativity." Every now and then, I consider learning other chip formats, but I keep finding new techniques and ideas to try inside nanoloop mobile.

I encourage exploration into the mobile version more, if you feel there needs to be more added to what's already there.
If you'd like, I would be more than happy to share saves with you for examples of thinking about the app's limitations differently.

I can't speak as much about the gba side of your op

I'd be interested in looking at some project files smile

Sweeeeeeden

If you absolutely need better tempo accuracy, try external sync, either from LSDj or with a MIDI solution.

Tokyo, Japan
nitro2k01 wrote:

If you absolutely need better tempo accuracy, try external sync, either from LSDj or with a MIDI solution.

This.

You can even sync GBA nanoloop with an analog signal now.

Lake Titicaca

I understand your points of view in that it would be possible to build a special cable to get midi sync (gba) or bounce tracks to samples in the android/ios version, but honestly, nanoloop on ios/android has so far had only one update to fix the filters and 8 patterns total per channel is just not enough for me personally. I think there should be FF patterns per channel. dont get me wrong I love it. But it feels like unfinished software to me. For example, take a look at gstomper vabeast and the step sequencer that goes with it...thats much better than nanoloop now, or sunvox, also much better...but i love the design and sound of nanoloop so id love to see it updated. I know restriction breeds creativity sometimes...but i feel like deep software with a rich feature set also breeds creativity.

Maybe ios.android users are just not as hardcore so nanoloop had to be dumbed down a bit for that platform...

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Jan 17, 2016 4:34 pm)

Yes, I'm considering an iOS/Android version that's more close to the GB versions. Currently I'm too busy with the latter though.

Lake Titicaca

Awesome news! I cant wait to get my hands on a new and improved nanoloop mobile...the gba version is awesome already...something like that but with true bpm, decent export options and more patterns per channel would be extra sweet. developing for GB and GBA plus producing your own cartridges must be very time consuming...such a nice design, and interesting sound, cant wait for the new mobile version.

Unsubscribe

Personally id love a version that just sent midi!

france

I'd like to have the speed divider by track you know /2 /4 /8, because you can loop on one pattern or four pattern, and there is a gap between the gb/ios feature.

Midi is really important for the android version, don't kno if it works on IOS, but sync is important between this two world.

What could be nice is a link between the gb/gba and ios/android version. For example, bank download/upload without the pc.

For me maybe more synth engine, gb and gba version, but there is other stuff which are important.
Example : a look and feel with button like the gb/gba version. I like, the ios/android sound, but I don't like the look and feel of ios/android. There is cool handled with button and dpad on android now.

The UI of nanoloop 1.x, 2.x is just perfect, it is art.

Last edited by yoyz2k (Jan 21, 2016 10:38 pm)

Put me down for another *Awesome news*!