Glasgow, Scotland.

On the 10th of January I ordered a Chrome DMG screen cover and backlight from GameboyModsUK, over on http://www.gameboymods.co.uk/

I've never ordered from them before, but anything I saw about the site seemed positive. However, I've still not received anything. I've emailed two different addresses twice, and had no reply. I text the number listed on the site on Thursday, and they replied to say they'd get in touch today - which they haven't.

I'm pretty disappointed as it means that even if they come through on the order, I probably won't buy anything from them again. Even the parts I ordered from Hong Kong arrived in less than a week.

Has anybody else had similar problems?

nowhere in particular

I've had a similar problem where he stopped responding to me after a while.

I was talking to him about a custom commission. It was all set to go ahead, he was just waiting for a restock on some parts. Then he stopped replying to my emails.

Emailed him again a year later to try again for a different commission, no response at all.

So I've had no success with him, but he does come recommended by others, including ASM. So perhaps we've just been unlucky or he's just real busy at the moment.

Last edited by nstory (Jan 23, 2016 1:45 am)

Glasgow, Scotland.
nstory wrote:

I've had a similar problem where he stopped responding to me after a while.

I was talking to him about a custom commission. It was all set to go ahead, he was just waiting for a restock on some parts. Then he stopped replying to my emails.

Emailed him again a year later to try again for a different commission, no response at all.

So I've had no success with him, but he does come recommended by others, including ASM. So perhaps we've just been unlucky or he's just real busy at the moment.

Boo sad I've opened a PayPal dispute, which I hate doing - but don't see any other way of getting the cash back, and it takes 20 days from when you open it before they will decide in your favour anyway, which is frustrating.

nowhere in particular

That's a shame.

I find it hard to believe he'd come so recommended if this was a common occurrence. And this gameboy modding stuff is a free time kinda deal, and people do have lives, so I understand if responses or dispatches aren't particularly prompt.

But a day shy of two weeks, and if you can't get a reply, then I guess you just have to do whatever to get your money back.

Last edited by nstory (Jan 23, 2016 2:02 am)

Glasgow, Scotland.
nstory wrote:

And this gameboy modding stuff is a free time kinda deal, and people do have lives, so I understand if responses or dispatches aren't particularly prompt.

But a day shy of two weeks, and if you can't get a reply, then I guess you just have to do whatever to get your money back.

Definitely. I don't even really care if it takes weeks for things to arrive, as long as I get some sort of communication about it.

Glasgow, Scotland.

Update: Got a message from Shaun today that he sent out to those who have purchased something recently. I won't go into specifics as it related to something personal, but he has been unable to properly deal with the site for the past few weeks because of family related problems - and is sending everybody who stills wants the orders out this week.

I'm glad to have heard back, and sorry to hear that he's had bad news. Wishing him all the best!

i had lots of problems and he got really moody and made our like i was being a spoilt brat, for wanting audio that worked.... I sent back for repair and he sent it back, still broken.... so i said i would go to a more reliable source and he got really offended by that too and got angry at me again.... i explained myself and tried to leave things on good terms but i would advise people to go elsewhere for gameboys.

I had a great experience with https://www.facebook.com/burnfingers

Hmm, this isn't good to read.

I paid him back on the 15th December for a fully tricked out DMG, and everything seemed fine. Quick responses, plenty of videos on youtube recommending him, etc etc. He gave me a time of 3-4 weeks, but it was over christmas so I wasn't bothered about time.
I kept poking through January and got responses, and he said he would be doing it "this week" on the 23rd January. I didn't know there was any bad news around this time, but if I had I wouldn't have minded.
Having said that, it's been 3 weeks since then and I haven't had another reply. I've sent a couple of emails and tried ringing the number on the site, but I've had no response. I'm at the point now where I'm not sure what to do, because in all honesty I just want the damn Gameboy.

I'm going to send another email tonight, and if there isn't a reply then I'll have to refund it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a modder in europe, or ideally the UK?

NUMBSKULL

Joe Bleeps is good and a cool dude.

https://m.facebook.com/joebleeps

I've never dealt with him directly, but he appears to do quality work.

Ardèche, France

Well, I've ordered a backlight in november and it was shipped to my home just a week ago, and I'm in France. Well it's not a problem for me, I've ordered to him because of low shipping fees (compared to USA-based sites), not for speed, but I know it can be a problem for some of you. Also, Catskull was mentionning Joe Bleeps and JodyBigfoot BurnFingers, but are they selling parts like backlights or clear buttons?

Last edited by Adzetko (Feb 14, 2016 9:33 pm)

catskull wrote:

Can confirm, quality of Joe's builds are excellent.

Just had a reply from him, apparently a load of life happened and he's been extremely behind, but he's sorting everything now.

Glasgow, Scotland.

I bought something else from the eBay shop after getting my other item, to give things another chance. Never received the item, or received a response to the dispute so eBay refunded the money. Won't be going back, which is a shame. If you're having issues that mean you can't post out the stuff you sell you should stop accepting sales until things change.

Manchester UK
catskull wrote:

Joe Bleeps is good and a cool dude.

https://m.facebook.com/joebleeps

Having had Joe work on multiple gameboys, I can honestly is he one of the best for modding. Any spare Parts though, gameboymodsuk, as Joe gets his spare parts from there.