Cambridge, UK

So i use a NES for my music but i have never found a good way to remove the noisy hum from the output of the Noise/Triangle/PCM channel.

It has a really noticeable hum at 50/60hz which is problematic. (at least i think is at 50/60hz)

I always have to remove the noise in mixing and mastering.

I would really rather have another methodology.

Is there a way to make the noise not so noticeable?
say invert and mix the 50/60hz buzz from another location on the circuit board?

Any ideas or tutorials about this would be helpful.

Thank you.

IL, US

i know low-gain made a multi-channel output mod for a while that also cleaned the signal up a bit though that was years ago... wouldn't rule out that he might be able to put one together if you asked him though...

Joliette, QC, Canada

what e.s.c. said there is a way to put 2 1/4" outputs on your NES (1 for the Squares and 1 for the Triangle, Noise and DPCM) and if you want somethign more I know XC3N add the 3rd 1/4" input and added something else (I think it's a capacitor or something like that) so he can have an output for VRC6 !
btw your music rock man !!! Big fan of your works, cant wait to see what you will do with a cleaner 2A03 !!! big_smile

mr.spastic wrote:

So i use a NES for my music but i have never found a good way to remove the noisy hum from the output of the Noise/Triangle/PCM channel.

It has a really noticeable hum at 50/60hz which is problematic. (at least i think is at 50/60hz)

Thank you.

I have not heard of any such methods other than what "e.s.c." has already described. But why would you want to do that??? hmm

Analog distortion of the original game system is part of the charm.

However, you should look up a bloke named Tiido Priimägi. He has cleaned up the audio with his own special circuit mod on the Sega Genesis Model 2. He might know how to do something for the NES... or might know who does.

Look at the bottom of this page: http://www.tmeeco.eu/ABOUT.HTM

Michigan

Are you running the console with the standard 9VAC power supply? The NES is fully rectified before the 7805 regulator so a 9V DC supply will work too. This should lessen the hum.

Also the biggest capacitor you find near the supply inside can also help with decoupling that hum. In fact that cap in particular can help with a wavy video signal.

NC in the US of America

cycle hum =/= charming analog distortion

France

Why not use an emulator to avoid all natural extra noises ? wink

I'd be also curious to learn what is the cheapest way to transfer nsf files to a real console (I don't have one at the moment, but I'd like to). I found some hints, but it costed at least 100 €.

Last edited by garvalf (Jan 24, 2016 10:07 am)

IL, US
garvalf wrote:

Why not use an emulator to avoid all natural extra noises ? wink

I'd be also curious to learn what is the cheapest way to transfer nsf files to a real console (I don't have one at the moment, but I'd like to). I found some hints, but it costed at least 100 €.

he uses midines, not famitracker, so there's no real way to use it in an emulator (unless his setup has changed in the last few years)

Clermont-Ferrand, France

I dig the audio "stereo" mod with 1/4" outputs.
It lowered the hum a big bunch on my NES (I use PR8 and Pulsar)

Cambridge, UK

I have used a stereo modification in my NES for many years now. Currently, I have the low-gain mod installed.

it is better but still no matter what I do, there is a buzz/hum that is quite annoying.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, looks like I will have to just accept the way it is since I seem to be using a more optimal setup already.

Cambridge, UK

oh i didn't see this, will check it out.

marcb0t wrote:
mr.spastic wrote:

Thank you.

I have not heard of any such methods other than what "e.s.c." has already described. But why would you want to do that??? hmm

Analog distortion of the original game system is part of the charm.

However, you should look up a bloke named Tiido Priimägi. He has cleaned up the audio with his own special circuit mod on the Sega Genesis Model 2. He might know how to do something for the NES... or might know who does.

Look at the bottom of this page: http://www.tmeeco.eu/ABOUT.HTM

Michigan

If we bring up Tmee's circuit for the Sega Genesis, I should clear that up. The circuit itself is based on the original filter circuit found inside of the model 1 genesis. The original circuit was optimized for the YM2612/PSG/32X/SCD combo. Although the circuit significantly improves the audio in subsequent consoles, these actually contain a YM3438 clone rather than a 2612. The 3438 was introduced with some output impedance differences that require heavier filtering than the 2612 did.

If OP wants a filter, I suggest an active notch filter calibrated to fall off at 50/60 hz depending on their region.
http://joachimbehar.comuv.com/ECG_tuto_1.php
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu … wer-supply

IL, US

for what its worth, i had decent success removing NES hum by using a behringer autocomp pro xl compressor's noise gate... not ideal for live use since its a 1u rack compressor, but it worked well for recording (saving me 3 noise reduction passes, i still always did one pass to just get the little bit that snuck through the gate)

Last edited by e.s.c. (Jan 24, 2016 9:46 pm)