france

Great there is a GitHub for FAT :
https://github.com/cbrouillard/furiousadvancetracker

NC in the US of America
TylerBarnes wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

Have you guys heard of www.furiousadvancetracker.com/ ?

Yes I have. I've messed around with it. but it's pointless unless we can utilize the GBA's DACs or at least play with the wav channel properly. It's not far enough along to be useful at all yet. It's like a simpler, and a feature lacking lsdj to me.

Aah... I hadn't realized the two DAC channels in the screenshot were just placeholders.

Dallas, Texas

I wish it was a standard practice for people that abandon projects to be forced to release source. If you are too lazy/busy to finish such amazing software you should pass it off to someone more reliable/capable/willing to follow through. Read in his interview about M4G that he stated he had never finished a project he has started. This makes it clear to me that he doesn't plan on coming back to us. However I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

UK, Leicester
TylerBarnes wrote:

I wish it was a standard practice for people that abandon projects to be forced to release source. If you are too lazy/busy to finish such amazing software you should pass it off to someone more reliable/capable/willing to follow through.

Yes, this. I mean, I'm no programmer, but it'd be cool if this happened more often

sweden
TylerBarnes wrote:

I wish it was a standard practice for people that abandon projects to be forced to release source.

This is just silly. Since it's an unpaid labor of love he can do exactly whatever he wants with it.

Dallas, Texas

You're very right. I shouldn't have used the word 'forced'. Just wish it was the standard convention to pass the torch if one feels like giving up. If more people did it it wouldn't be a big deal, but too many projects are just left to evaporate simply cause folks think keeping their code secret is so important.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Sep 8, 2013 9:15 pm)

Sweden

He has no contract with you, and unreleased code can be sensitive in many ways. Releasing source you've worked on for a couple of years that you never intended for anyone to see is a lot like inviting a bunch of strangers to clean your room. But hey, you might have a bunch of unfinished songs laying around. Do the responsible thing and release them for someone else to finish them.

Dallas, Texas
boomlinde wrote:

But hey, you might have a bunch of unfinished songs laying around. Do the responsible thing and release them for someone else to finish them.

Big difference I didn't make a big announcement and start releasing alphas and get all horny on the hype and praise. I believe that receiving praise for something before it's finished is the best way to kill enthusiasm for finishing it.

I don't really understand the defense, but I do understand why things are the way they are and why my 'oh I wish' fantasies aren't the norm. Just expressing my opinion in what I thought was an uncontroversial form. But I guess people get sensitive over many things these days, I should have known better then to put my personal feelings into what I type. *puts back on my 'I am happy and so should you be' mask*

But seriously, not upset. Only trying to write what I feel. No need for animosity.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Sep 8, 2013 9:55 pm)

NC in the US of America

It would be nice of more people did that, regardless of their right not to. Ultimately it's the devs decision, but that doesn't mean one cannot hope/wish that developers would pass on their abandoned projects :\ The fact that the developer is not obligated to share is what makes sharing so nice when it happens. Not saying they are stingy for not sharing, just saying they are lovely for sharing.

Sweden
TylerBarnes wrote:

Big difference I didn't make a big announcement and start releasing alphas and get all horny on the hype and praise. I believe that receiving praise for something before it's finished is the best way to kill enthusiasm for finishing it.

For the record, I totally agree with that, but I don't believe it makes any difference what you told anyone else as long as you never made any commitments. As you wrote before, m4g was clear about never having finished a project.

TylerBarnes wrote:

I don't really understand the defense, but I do understand why things are the way they are and why my 'oh I wish' fantasies aren't the norm. Just expressing my opinion in what I thought was an uncontroversial form. But I guess people get sensitive over many things these days, I should have known better then to put my personal feelings into what I type. *puts back on my 'I am happy and so should you be' mask*

If you express an opinion on a discussion forum you should prepare for the fact that people might disagree with you, and in expressing that disagreement they aren't very different from yourself venting your thoughts. There's no need to go passive-aggressive and play it off like people are being particularly sensitive or anything; it's just normal course of discussion, and no one here seems to be trying to stop you from saying what you think.

Dallas, Texas
boomlinde wrote:

If you express an opinion on a discussion forum you should prepare for the fact that people might disagree with you, and in expressing that disagreement they aren't very different from yourself venting your thoughts. There's no need to go passive-aggressive and play it off like people are being particularly sensitive or anything; it's just normal course of discussion, and no one here seems to be trying to stop you from saying what you think.

Hmm, didn't take that into consideration. Fair point.

Now that all that is behind us, let's keep this thread on topic. We ventured further away than is necessary.

Earth

It may not be ideal, but Fat is at least a start for a new gba tracker. Just need to translate the comments from French. =p.

Chicago IL
nordloef wrote:
TylerBarnes wrote:

I wish it was a standard practice for people that abandon projects to be forced to release source.

This is just silly. Since it's an unpaid labor of love he can do exactly whatever he wants with it.

I mean technically he took donations. I'm not sure if he took money, but he definitely got sent some hardware to test it on.

I feel kind of bad for people that sent him stuff because they wanted to help get a program made so they could use it.

sweden
Saskrotch wrote:
nordloef wrote:

I mean technically he took donations. I'm not sure if he took money, but he definitely got sent some hardware to test it on.

I feel kind of bad for people that sent him stuff because they wanted to help get a program made so they could use it.

Last time I talked to Smiker he told me that he never received the carts that he was promised. hmm

Sweden
breakphase wrote:

It may not be ideal, but Fat is at least a start for a new gba tracker. Just need to translate the comments from French. =p.

And move a lot of running code out of header files big_smile

Earth
boomlinde wrote:
breakphase wrote:

And move a lot of running code out of header files big_smile

Heh wow, didn't notice that. That's bizarre. It must be a way of cutting corners.