East Coast USA

So I'm relatively new to chiptune music, and I've noticed that most people seem to be using the DMG Gameboys more often than any other models. Do the grey bricks have the best sound quality or are they just the most widely available? What are the differences in sound between the different versions of the Gameboy/GBA?

Taichung, Taiwan

Someone post that link.

Also, the term "best" is very subjective. You may find what one person deems "best" to not be the best sounding to you.

Wuppertal, Germany

Here you go!

http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

Short story from my point of view.
GB (DMG) has most bass and a bit background noise.
GBC has low bass and a lot of background noise.
GBP is close to GB (DMG)
GBA is a bit quiet.

///

Edit: DMG is of course the most nostalgic thing for most of the people. That might be kind of a bonus too.

Last edited by Tronimal (Feb 17, 2016 11:00 am)

France

I encountered something strange, I composed a song in lsdj from an emulator, and it was sounding ok. When I recorded it from my DMG, some arpeggios (using the C command) were missing sometimes, for example when I played it 5 times, 1 time it was correct, the other times some notes were missing. I used new batteries and on DMG it was correct. But with the same new batteries on a GBC, the missing notes were still not there, as if the GBC couldn't handle that many data. Is it a known issue?

Matthew Joseph Payne

Keep in mind also that the Color has more powerful processors, so it can handle more simultaneous tables, and other complexities that the DMG can't. Syncing a DMG and a Color is a nice setup.

The Advance has a crap button layout for LSDJ, with the Start and Select buttons in the wrong place. There's a mod for the Advance that physically reassigns the shoulder buttons to start and select instead.

Austin, TX
garvalf wrote:

I encountered something strange, I composed a song in lsdj from an emulator, and it was sounding ok. When I recorded it from my DMG, some arpeggios (using the C command) were missing sometimes, for example when I played it 5 times, 1 time it was correct, the other times some notes were missing. I used new batteries and on DMG it was correct. But with the same new batteries on a GBC, the missing notes were still not there, as if the GBC couldn't handle that many data. Is it a known issue?

I get this same problem, but with my DMG.  Sometimes I'll notice that notes get skipped.