I just love the fatass tracker on the gbc. Unfortunately I don't have the same luck with lsdj hmm

So, I'm wondering if there are any other tracker that operates like fasttracker/fatass tracker for the gb/gbc/gba? Or natively on any other console/computer?  Like the C64 perhaps? 

Any tips are welcomed smile

fatass is apparently a "stripped down fasttracker 2 clone"... luckily FT2 is one of the biggest and most popular trackers ever so it's easy to find clones of it, i would try:

- fasttracker 2 (for MS DOS)
- milkytracker - a beefed up fasttracker 2 clone for windows/linux/mac
- nitrotracker? - a stripped down fasttracker 2 for NDS
- protracker 3 - fasttracker 2's granddad. for amiga
^those ones all use sampled instruments so you can do what you want soundwise

- reality adlib tracker (an FT2-feeling tracker for MS DOS fm synthesis) - the instrument editor is a bit confusing (same with all dos fm trackers) at first but you get your head round it quick enough

someone else can probably recommend trackers to run natively on atari or spectrum

the c64 trackers seem to have their own cliches and ideals and as far as my experience goes, none of them feel much like FT2 (that's not to say you won't like them!), in fact they are more similar to lsdj mostly as the creator of lsdj is a c64 scener. but cybertracker seems popular for its simple PC-like interface

just spitballing here because i haven't used fatass so i don't know how it differs from lsdj but i guess the patterns-as-a-whole vs patterns broken into chains and phrases will be the key interface difference given that the GB basically determines the input scheme... patterns-as-a-whole is by far the most common approach in PC trackers, far less common on C64.

good luck!

sandneil wrote:

fatass is apparently a "stripped down fasttracker 2 clone"... luckily FT2 is one of the biggest and most popular trackers ever so it's easy to find clones of it, i would try:

- fasttracker 2 (for MS DOS)
- milkytracker - a beefed up fasttracker 2 clone for windows/linux/mac
- nitrotracker? - a stripped down fasttracker 2 for NDS
- protracker 3 - fasttracker 2's granddad. for amiga
^those ones all use sampled instruments so you can do what you want soundwise

- reality adlib tracker (an FT2-feeling tracker for MS DOS fm synthesis) - the instrument editor is a bit confusing (same with all dos fm trackers) at first but you get your head round it quick enough

someone else can probably recommend trackers to run natively on atari or spectrum

the c64 trackers seem to have their own cliches and ideals and as far as my experience goes, none of them feel much like FT2 (that's not to say you won't like them!), in fact they are more similar to lsdj mostly as the creator of lsdj is a c64 scener. but cybertracker seems popular for its simple PC-like interface

just spitballing here because i haven't used fatass so i don't know how it differs from lsdj but i guess the patterns-as-a-whole vs patterns broken into chains and phrases will be the key interface difference given that the GB basically determines the input scheme... patterns-as-a-whole is by far the most common approach in PC trackers, far less common on C64.

good luck!

Oh.  Thanks for your answer. Very informative smile

I would love to use Nitrotracker. But I'm not really fond of sample based trackers. I like more when we can reform signal waves however we like. Just like in lsdj ( it's just the interface I'm having trouble with), deflemask or Fatass.

Any other suggestions?  smile

Toronto, Canada

Does anybody know where one can purchase a Fatass cartridge?

Lake Titicaca

I would say to you, use Sunvox...
To be honest, using single cycle waveform samples is not that different from the waveform control you have in LSDJ. (the gameboy soundchip does have interesting looking waveforms...probably a lot of thought went into the design of them at the time. The square is not just a square, it has strange resonant peaks).

For example, in milkytracker there is a waveform generator in the sample editor which can give you perfect square, triangle, saw and noise.
You can use the "draw" function to smooth off the corners of your square wave into a rounded square, or saw into a sineish saw. Then use the envelope to create LFOish volume ramps and fades. You can build up rythms that way if you count out the right lengths in ticks. Sunvox and milkytracker are excellent pieces of software...Sunvox is more modern and will give you filters, distortion and many more possibilities. Maybe if you prefer gampad controls or if you feel that the real power of LSDJ lies in the tables, quisby, then you may want to give LittleGameParkTracker a go. I'm not hating on LSDJ or anything. But I do feel like gameboy-only music is a little played out...

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Feb 18, 2016 7:01 pm)

Wuppertal, Germany
Starshine wrote:

Does anybody know where one can purchase a Fatass cartridge?

Just put it on a flash-cartridge of your choice!

Thanx for all answers!  I have actually tried sunvox. Both on the computer and the Ipad. And I really liked it! But the thing is that,  I really love to compose on my DSiXL or N3DSXL. I adore the build quality and I get the right mood when using Nintendo hardware....

Personally I have been playing with Fatass on my DSiXL and my N3DSXL. Equally great,  both of them. But I want to try something new. I even tried to load Fasttracker II via RetroArchs dosbox on my N3DSXL. But I can't really get that to work, yet...

Happy tracking smile

Lake Titicaca

Hail fellow! Well met... I understand the desire for portability and yes, the 3DSXL is a nice thing to hold, verily.
Well, in that case, I would say to you have you tried KorgDSN12? I suppose its not exactly chip related, or a tracker, but it is an emulation of quite an old synthesizer and looks pretty decent...check it out!!!

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthes … org_dsn12/

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Feb 18, 2016 9:56 pm)

JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

Hail fellow! Well met... I understand the desire for portability and yes, the 3DSXL is a nice thing to hold, verily.
Well, in that case, I would say to you have you tried KorgDSN12? I suppose its not exactly chip related, or a tracker, but it is an emulation of quite an old synthesizer and looks pretty decent...check it out!!!

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthes … org_dsn12/

Yeah! Thanks! I was really impressed by the ds10 back in the days. And the dsn-12 is a monster! Very exciting pocket music studio. Also, my best friend has been a professional over 15 years in the electronic music. But often, I get really tired of all hi-fi sounds. That's why I always returns to chiptunes smile

Doublepost...

Last edited by Tao (Feb 22, 2016 9:10 am)