Central Pennsyltucky

[EDIT]:   New video demo of the DRAW MODE on the ANSI MIDIo kit. Literally, character and color info is entered in a tracker and sent as a track to the MIDIo (which is set up as an external MIDI instrument.
Why??  that means any tracker that does MIDI can have a perfectly synced visuals track!

The demo shows how it works, and I've released 3 Renoise files that disect the different MODES, ex: DRAW MODE, "Color Organ" MODE, etc..

Info here:
www.straytechnologies.com/ansi-midio-kit-new-video-demos-and-release
youtube link, and link to the Renoise Files, full instructions, and MIDI specifications there as well.

And the MORE feedback the better! I'm working on a LOGO firmware for it next... Remember the Turtle??

Hey All,
Thought I'd drop a line on my latest project: I'm doing a new visual board like the Pocket VBLANK, and incorporated a lot of feedback from folks here who bought one & some that didn't. 

Cheaper (Price TBD, but it's smaller & w/ less parts)
Kit version (even cheaper if you build it yourself)
User programmable (your images & patterns, not mine)

I'll debut it at the Hope conference in NYC this weekend. And they'll ship as soon as I return on Tuesday or Wednesday!

And oh yeah.... ANSI Graphics! The 12 main ansi graphic characters in 16-color goodness.
Art Packs are back ; )

Here's some more info & the first sample video:

www.straytechnologies.com

--let me know what you think!

Last edited by vblank (Jul 12, 2010 4:36 pm)

Minneapolis

Yay, ANSI! Sounds cool.

EDIT: saw your video. Looks like a BBS gone haywire. I approve. I hope my BBS never does that during normal operation.

Last edited by arfink (Jul 3, 2010 6:59 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

Swee! A new vblank kit is always good news.

This is nice! And I love ANSI! And it also kinda looks like the GlitchNES layout.

United Kingdom

This is awesome beyond belief! Being able to put our own images = Genius!

Godzilladelph

sooo nice

Central Pennsyltucky

Thanks for the good words, all. I'll have some live samples up this week or after 8Static. Just sorting out how to draw images & such via MIDI. I'm trying to add a few effects right now, to control via Midi CCs.

@BRKCORE: Yeah, in a way, ansi isn't too different then Glitchnes as the NES is tile-based. But the inspiration is pretty different. A lot of people grew-up with awesome homebrew graphics scrolling across their modem-lines and up their screens at 96kbs.

@Arfink:  where's your BBS! Love to visit! I've been on Masquerade & a few others a lot this summer putting the ideas for this together.

Boulder, CO

Wish I still had my BBS running. I miss all the ACiD art packs and such (and free software).

This looks great though, awesome work yet again vblank!

Minneapolis
vblank wrote:

@Arfink:  where's your BBS! Love to visit! I've been on Masquerade & a few others a lot this summer putting the ideas for this together.

My BBS is under construction at the moment. I'm coding it entirely by myself as part of a competition during July. It's a Telnet BBS. If you're interested in observing my progress you can visit my gopher page here: gopher://retro-net.org/1/arfink/ and then click on "Summer Retrochallenge 2010 Blog." I ran my first proof-of-concept code a couple days ago, and my first alpha will hopefully be available in the next few days.

Central Pennsyltucky
arfink wrote:

...visit my gopher page here: gopher://retro-net.org/1/arfink/ and then click on "Summer Retrochallenge 2010 Blog." I ran my first proof-of-concept code a couple days ago, and my first alpha will hopefully be available in the next few days.

Cool! I'll have to check that and Retro-net out when I take a coding break! I've been a member of Super Dimension Fortress: http://sdf.org/     for a while now. Cool to see other folks doing Shell accounts, gopher & the likes. Let us know when the bbs is up!
-VBLANK

Minneapolis

Hey, I'm an SDF-er too. Maybe I'll see you in COM some time? smile

Central Pennsyltucky
arfink wrote:

Hey, I'm an SDF-er too. Maybe I'll see you in COM some time? smile

Killer! Just peeked at your blog!
No time now, but I got my T102 telnetting into SDF about a month ago.. I've GOT to
fire it up & visit your project when you're rolling! excellent!!  I had no idea anyone else was messing with these!

I haven't been on COM yet, honestly... I know it'll be a time-sync! but I'll likely have some relax-time to muck around after the Hope conference.
ok.. back to coding on the MIDIo!

I'm on alot of BBS's ATM and I would love to make one, how do I start?

Central Pennsyltucky

Hey  all, just updated the first post in this thread with a new video of DRAW MODE and release information on the kit.  A little over 1/2 the price of the Pocket VBLANK for those willing to DIY!

For those following the awesome thread hijack: ( I love me some BBS talk!)
This is the end-all link on how to roll your own: http://www.bbscorner.com/startabbs/
There can alwayys be another !

Middlesbrough, UK

... peed

Central Pennsyltucky
LastKnight wrote:

... peed

mmmm.. Cleveland pee.

Quick update:

The first kits have gone out  & ANSI MIDIo kits are now shipping @ $65!
http://www.straytechnologies.com/

Check out the instructions, building instructions, sample files here:
http://www.straytechnologies.com/resources
& yeah, I'll build it for you if you want...

Let me know what you think!